A good place to get wood.

Discussion in 'Jims Woodworking' started by SSG Johnson, Jan 30, 2006.

1. SSG Johnson

SSG Johnson New Member

State:
    Saint Robert Missouri
    I pass by some new house constuction today and saw a big pile of wood stopped and asked and low and behold it was the scrap pile full of pieces of pine 1" x 12" and anywhere from 2' to 8 feet long. Needless to say they told me I could have it all what a great deal I got a truck load and will be going back tommorrow for more.

2. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Chuck, you got a goldmine.
    There is two things that make those scrap piles nonexistent.

A good builder that knows how much lumber it takes to build a house and a saw man that knows how to best utilize the lumber on the job.

There is unfortunately a lot of waste in new house construction but hobbyists like you make it all good in the end.

3. Chris

Chris New Member

State:
    Spring Hill, Kansas
    When I was in High School, our shop teacher and I went out to construction sites and asked them if we could have there scrap lumber, they gave us all the scrap that we wanted, we finally built a shed one year. It also good to pick up the lumber for deer stands and projects around the house.

chris

4. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    Also check with any cabinet shops around. They have lots of scrap plywood that works great for scrollsaw work. Also I used to get scrap pieces of black walnut and cherry and cedar 30"x30".
    Pete

5. dgde4x4man

dgde4x4man New Member

State:
    La Moille, Illinois
    I saw the title of the thread and thought it was about strip clubs. LMAO

6. SSG Johnson

SSG Johnson New Member

State:
    Saint Robert Missouri
    Only a naked fatman could think that. LOL

7. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    Someone had to say it eh Chris?

8. Whistler

Whistler Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    Chuck, I have about 35 acres of hardwood forest if you really want some good wood. LOL You just gotta come cut it and mill it too. LOL Red and white oaks, maple, hickory, black walnut, and some cedar too. LOL

9. FS Driver

FS Driver New Member

State:
    swansea,illinoi
    in okllahoma in the 80's a builders wife had her husbands clean-up crew
    take and save every scrap bit of wood ,bricks insulation etc.and beforea year was up she had enough to build a house of course they had to furnish the fixtures but the shell and bricks was all out of scrap!
    she got her a new truck:) :)

yep they really can waste a lot of wood.
    more high school shop classes should be able to say take the seniors or juniors out and make some wood runs to these new sub-divisions all over the place the cost of gas would be a drop in the bucket compared to the saveings from the price wood is at now.

10. Jesse168

Jesse168 Member

State:
    Memphis, Tennessee
    When I use to make things for my wife's Cub Scout Den I had problems finding thin enough wood. Regular lumber is actually 3/4" thick and would be too thick for a lot of the stuff I wanted to make.

One day I passed a house where someone had thrown out a bunch of drawers from a dresser. The sides and back sections of the drawers are what you want to use mostly. They are just the right size for a lot of projects. Most of them are 3/8" to 1/2" thick and up to 2 foot long and all good wood. I have even found some with widths over 12".

The bottom pannel of the drawer is usually only 3/16" to 1/4" thick. On large drawers the bottom pannel can be used for making holiday cutouts.

Of course when you get the wood you also get a wide selection of drawer pulls that you can use also.

Best part of it is that it's all free and there isn't a day that goes by that I don't see where someone has put old furniture out for the garbage.

11. Patmansc

Patmansc Well-Known Member

State:
    Cordova, TN
    Chuck, you really got lucky there. Sometimes I have asked builders for scrap wood, and they refused :confused: Regardless, another source of free wood is old pallets - you can disassemble them and run the wood thru your planer. You can make all kinds of hobby projects with that wood.

12. Cyclops01

Cyclops01 New Member

State:
    Eden, NC.
    I agree with the pallet idea BUT, invest in a good hand held metal detector. Nails, staples and other broken off (sub surface) hidden metal fasteners can damage cutting knives and blades, first time through.

Mike

13. Patmansc

State:
    Cordova, TN
    Man, that's the truth! Unfortunately, I made a rookie error with my brand-new 6" jointer, when I ran a 2x4 thru that had a staple (from the hardware store) in it! Chipped all 3 blades in that 1 spot - I could'a cried :crying: On the bright side, however, I haven't made that mistake again, and always (visually) check for metal before I use any piece of wood. But when using recycled wood, a metal dectector is a great idea, cause sometimes screws/nails get buried where you can't see 'em.

14. fwmud

fwmud New Member

State:
    Wilson's Mills,nc
    Chuck, if ya know someone in the military, you might get some of the old ammo crates.
    LOL
    On a serious note, the lumber mill in four aoks uses a metal detector before sawing logs also.
    I was getting lumber there a few years back and saw them useing one.

15. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Keith yea, they are looking the nails that hold those old porcelain electric fence insulators on.
    That porcelain will rip every tooth off a saw blade and sling the unscathed insulator out about the speed of sound. OUCH!

16. Okccatman

Okccatman New Member

State:
    Norman,Ok
    I framed homes for quite some time before getting into the painting biz. Alot of builder's will not let you take scrap wood for one simple reason. It can be used at the job 2 lots away. even a scrap of 2x4 that is 14 1/2 inches long can be used for a 1 hour fire block.
    They also employ guys on contract that remove the scraps. This can be a very lucrative biz. They are getting paid per load they remove, basicly a rate for cubic feet of scrap. They will take all the true "scrap" to the dump and take all the usable pieces for them self. It is not uncomon to have plenty of long length 2x4's left over as well as 2x6's up to 2x12's. Although in my experience they don't over order 2x12's alot. Needless to say these guys have areas on there land that is nothing but stacked lumber. And to my suprise there is quite a market for it.
    Getting permission is very important tho if looking to take wood from a jobsite. And you should not view the offer for free scraps as a standing offer. The reason for this is that the carpenter is most likey the one to give permission. The fact remains that the carpenter does not own the wood and although he has no problem with you taking it, the builder my be driving by that evening when you return for another load. He my not be so kind and even call the police and give your tag number. I know for a fact that lumber theft is a big biz in Oklahoma. I have seen guys load up a stack of plywood and sell it to another builder for a cheap price.
    I have gone to jobsites myself for "free" project wood. I try to keep a rule about it. If it has a nail in it.... it is scrap.

David Frantz

17. Patmansc

State:
    Cordova, TN
    David, that's been my experience too! The carpenter's generally don't care, 'cause they don't pay for materials, and some of the site bosses can be downright mean. But the smaller contractors are usually pretty nice, but don't have as much scrap 'cause they're more conscious about waste. I never take anything out of an unattended dumpster on a worksite, 'cause sometimes they will call the cops on you.

18. SSG Johnson

SSG Johnson New Member

State:
    Saint Robert Missouri
    my brother in law just scorded some mahogany, pine, cedar, and oak for me from the schools scrap bin from the wood shop. cant wait to get at that stuff.

19. spoonfish

spoonfish New Member

State:
    Warsaw, Mo.
    As a carpenter I can tell you the only person to ask is the builder.
    Dont take the word of a contractor as the builder may have other ideas, chances are most will let you have the scraps though. I would have a yard full but the truck is allways full of tools and never have the room to bring any home. Last week the cabinet makers delivery guy damaged the corner of a high dollar cabinet. Theres allways things if you go to the sites and ask.

20. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Chuck, so tell us. What you sawing on now? A portrait of DH perhaps?