A Good Night of Skunk

Discussion in 'Gateway Catfishing Club' started by DWB, Jul 6, 2009.

1. DWB

DWB Member

State:
    Missouri
    Well Chad and I hit the river yesterday for a night of fishing. We could not keep the skunk away but had a great night anyway and the bait was particularly easy to come by:cool2:

We put in on the Cuivre river at about 5pm. The river was really getting it current wise but after watching the guys who launched in front of us (and had a hard time of it) we had a plan. It worked and we were off with little effort.

1.) Boat launch--check

Next step, bait. We headed to a nearby bait hole and by ohhh I would say 515 pm we had over 100lbs of bait in the boat!! I get up on the bow with the cast net as Chad eased the boat up a little creek and BAM the asians started jumping like I have never seen them jump before. I was nearly nocked off the bow. Chad Immediatly put her in reverse and backed us out of there [all the while he and I were being pelted with fish]. In the minuite it took to get backed out there were over 25 asians floping around on the deck of the boat.

2.) Bait--check

This evening was starting off well and the weather was cooporating. Even with the sun up the temps were in the low 80's and as the sun went down things got pleasantly cool. Not a cloud in the sky and the was hardly a breath of wind.

3.) Good weather--check

So now for the fishing. We tried at least five different spots throughout the night with no luck. We tried deep water, shallow water, wind dams, fast water, slow water, the dam and even deep water rock walls...all to no avail. I guess it just goes like this some times. Gotta have a night or two of skunk mixed into the season to make you appreciate the fish you do catch. It could have been for a million different reasons, span, dropping water, slow water flow at the dam, the moon...just bad luck.

4.) A good college try at some cats--check

So about 200 am we decide the skunk had his way with us and headed back. Then as if to stick out its tongue at us to taunt our defeat the river threw another curve at us. And by curve I mean more asians. We were moving at about 25 or 30 mph and preparing to cut in north of Turkey Island to get back up the cuivre when the skys openedup with more of our flying asian friends. This time there were REALLY BIG though. Chad cut the engine and we both ducked for cover as the asians pelted us again. This time some were probably in the 20+ lb range. We stomped them all to death and checked them back in the river before proceeding back up the cuivre.

5.) Taunted by the river--check

It was getting foggy by now and the cuivre was really full of crud so we took out time getting back to the ramp (about an hour). The river was still running very swift and we had a few issues getting the boat trailered but ultimatly we prevailed.

6. ) Landing you can walk away from--check

All in all a pretty good night on the river, even if we did not land a cat. Who says you gotta catch fish every time. I figured with all the stories of 600 pound nights and such I out to post this story so that the mere mortals don't get discouraged when the skunk finds them. It happens sometimes and you can still have a good time anyway.

Tight lines!

2. Mr Okie

Mr Okie New Member

State:
    Okla/Texas
    Dan or anyone else
    How come the aisians jump so much for the aluminum boats. I never get any jumping in my fiberglass boat. I don't want 20 big a$$ asians jumping in but I wouldn't mind a few when I am looking for bait. :wink:

Oh forgot to add any night on the river is a great night even when the fish aren't biting.

3. FLOAT TRIP WILLIE

FLOAT TRIP WILLIE Active Member

State:
    St. Louis
    Scott I took the floater out Friday morning, and that bait hole we went to was dang near dryed up...:eek:oooh:

I did luck up and got two dumb asians to hitch a one way ride...lol
    caught a 15lb soft shell thats it... seems they like them asians also

4. FLOAT TRIP WILLIE

FLOAT TRIP WILLIE Active Member

State:
    St. Louis
    give me a call next time you go out

5. DWB

DWB Member

State:
    Missouri
    I think it has more to do with where you are and how fast your motor is running. I guarantee that if your fiberglass boat was where we were last night you would have had a boat full. Look for slack or shallow water. They can be found nearly anywhere but they stack up behind islands or wing dams out of the current. The cuivre was just LOADED with them last night though. I have found moving slow and fluctuating the rpm's really gets em' flying. Just be careful, a 20+ pound flesh missile can do a number of you, especially if you are moving at a good clip.

6. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    I think the asians jumping has something to do with the motor vibrations. I don't seem to get too many in my boat but I've seen others go right through the same area and get pelted with them. I think they like (or dislike) 4 strokes. My 2 stroke Yammy hardly ever gets them jumping thick. Which, as stated, is a GOOD thing, unless you are hoping for easy bait.

7. BigCatter54

BigCatter54 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma City
    Well, Dan said it all, we tried everyhting we could think fo to no prevail, but still had a good night out, just chauk it up as another awesome night on the river........without fish.:embarassed:

8. Mr Okie

Mr Okie New Member

State:
    Okla/Texas
    Skipeye
    It must have something to do with the 2 stroke Yammy's running so smooth.

9. buckdoe270

buckdoe270 New Member

State:
    Overland, Mo
    Chad sounds like you got to fish, when we went
    the strom rolled in and boated back to the dock.
    our lines didn't hit the water:sad2:

10. poopdeck [patrick]

poopdeck [patrick] New Member

State:
    ofallon il
    Dumplins had a 60 hp merc and they sure seemed to jump a lot more for it than they do my 50 hp yamaha. Some game warden said that if you rev between 2 and 3 thousand rpm's it really triggers them. Your right dan, just being on the river is wonderful. Was you in your boat how is it running?

11. DWB

DWB Member

State:
    Missouri
    We were in Chad's boat last night. My boat is finally back though and seems to be in great shape...all except the 997c which I had to send back to the factory. I tell ya, if it aint been one thing it has been another with this boat.

12. RIVER-RAT

RIVER-RAT New Member

State:
    MO / MT
    Sorry to hear about the skunkin Dan.....guess I won't say what we caught last night.. : )

13. poopdeck [patrick]

poopdeck [patrick] New Member

State:
    ofallon il
    say it bill

14. DWB

DWB Member

State:
    Missouri
    You know as Chad and I were coming back in we were talking to ourselves about what a nice night it had been even though no cat fish were to be had...then almost in unison we both agreed that we would be really pissed if Rat had another 600# night... :angry:

That said, you might as well spill the beans...I don't want to spoil everyone elses fun!:wink:

15. RIVER-RAT

RIVER-RAT New Member

State:
    MO / MT
    Sorry Dan, I posted what we caught under float trip willies thread 07-07 :big_smile::big_smile: