A Good Morning out but Broke a Rod and Lost a Trophy! :(

Discussion in 'MEMBER FISHING REPORTS (BECOME A FISHING LEGEND)' started by catfishjohn, Jun 1, 2007.

1. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    I got out fishing for a few hours this morning down by the Russell bridge on the Ohio River on the KY side. They were hitting really good. I caught abt 6-8 flatties all from 5-8 pounds. I also caught some kind of shad(not sure,different than what i've seen)
    on a wax worm...Believe it or not!!! Its the truth. It may be something different but it sure made good bait. It died soon as I put it in the bucket with bubbler. I cut its head off and threw it out. It sat for 10-15 minutes and my clicker went NUTS!!! I cranked the handle and swarped...He kept taking drag like nothing. I tightened the drag up some(I use 30lb test line and 40lb leader line) and I couldn't even turn this thing around!!! My guess was he'd been at very least 50-60lbs or maybe more. I've never hooked into anything like this EVER!!! He had my 8' Abu Garcia Brute bent double and I tightened the drag a lil more. I fought with him for a few minutes and all of a sudden "SNAP!" He broke the tip off my rod and a second later the line went limp. I got it in and he had snapped the 40lb leader like nothing. It was on the head of the shad(or whatever). I put the rod in the car and put my 6500 on my 6'6" Ugly Stik and went back to business. I cut part of the body and threw it out. A few minutes later my clicker went...ZOOOOOMMMM... It was the biggest flattie of the day,about 8lbs. I fished a little longer and called it quits!
    All and all,I had a good day except for the pain and losing that monster!!! All the other flatties I caught were on crawlers.
    I'm attaching pics of the shad(?) and a few of the smaller flats. My batteries went dead so no more pics yet.
    All flatties were released!!!

http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t165/catfishjohn73/june12007OhioRiverbyRussellbridge00.jpg
    Shad I believe.Caught on a wax worm also

http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t165/catfishjohn73/june12007OhioRiverbyRussellbridg-1.jpg
    Another pic of it.

http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t165/catfishjohn73/june12007OhioRiverbyRussellbridg-2.jpg
    small flattie

http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t165/catfishjohn73/june12007OhioRiverbyRussellbridg-3.jpg
    Another small one.

http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t165/catfishjohn73/june12007OhioRiverbyRussellbridg-4.jpg
    And the last.

Thanks for looking and hope you enjoyed!!!

2. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    Allrite! Sounds and looks like a good time was had. Thanx for sharein.

3. pk_powell

pk_powell New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Congrats! At least you're catching fish! You're doing a ton better than me! All I caught last night was weeds off the bottom of the river sure was a lot of it YUK YUK!! AnyWay Congrats!!:smile2:

4. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    Sounds like a good night of fishing. One lesson learned don't tighten the drag to much on a big fish:eek:oooh:. The Shad? you caught, Did it have teeth? It looks like a moon eye. We caught one the other day while we were skip fishing. I didn't even know they existed in this part of the world. They say that they are excellent bait and apparently THEY are right:lol:.

5. shania

shania New Member

State:
    San Leandro, Ca
    :waaaht:
    Sounds like you had a good day on the water + you now know that there is at lease one there when you go back.:wink:
    :0a23:

Thanks for sharing that with us,
    Bert:cool2: & Shania:0010:

:worship::0a23:
    Bert & "Deltalover"

6. deerhunter4

deerhunter4 New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Looks Like we commonly use in the florida are called shinners...I believe it is to be a shinner...

They are very good bait...Nice photo's Thanks for sharing...

7. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    It did have a small patch of little teeth on the bottom jaw. It didn't look like any shad I've ever used but i'd like to know exactly what it was...
    It was Excellent bait. I wish I could have got more,they were swarming around all over but it was the only taker.
    Thank You for the info and all the kind words!!! :smile2::cool2::wink:

8. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Glad you made it out. You gotta feel better. Good catchin also!

9. Rusty

Rusty Member

State:
    Spickard Missouri
    Sounds to me like you need a throw net. Great pictures and story. Thanks for sharing.

10. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    Thank You Very Much!!!
    I feel better on my best day of the year but bummed I lost a trophy fish and broke my fav 8' rod. The pain went away for a bit but its back now...Plus I haven't slept since night before last...:lol:

11. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY

I have one but not healthy enough to use it...There was plenty of shad around too!!! Thanks Bro!!!

12. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    I'm out of Reps but i'll get you all for sure when I get refilled.
    Thanks for all the kind words and still would like to know more info about that one fish...:smile2::smile2::smile2::wink:

13. GETHOOKED

GETHOOKED New Member

State:
    Arizona, Scott
    GREAT STORY, now you know she is there. and that will get you to go out more!!

14. splitshot

splitshot New Member

State:
    Coxsakie,N.Y.
    Sorry to hear you lost the biggun, but sounds like you had a good time. John i may be wrong, but that looks like a mooneye to me.

15. Catfishhunter

Catfishhunter New Member

State:
    Lanesville, In.
    John, That is a Mooneye and they are excellent bait. You can also catch them on buckeye jigs. That's why I like to use heavier line, doesn't mean your always going to get them in but, it makes the odds a lot more in your favor. I lost a big one in a tournament this year but, I was fishing real heavy cover and my 80 lb. mono leader got cut.

16. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY

Thanks you all! A couple members said the same thing...All I know is they are excellent bait!!!
    Thanks Guys,I appreciate it all!!! :wink::big_smile:

17. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    Nice fish buddy, congrats on the catches.

18. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    Thanks Tea!!! :wink::big_smile::lol:
    When you coming down and fishing with me...There is an open invite for you whenever you wanna come!!!

19. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    Maybe when gas goes back down under $3 a gallon. lol

20. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    Ok,so in a year or so...LOL!!!