A good flathead catfish hole?

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by tugrivercater, Jul 5, 2006.

1. tugrivercater

tugrivercater New Member

State:
    ky
    could this be a good fishing spot?..... i live on the ky/wv border and about 4 years ago the state pushed a section of the tug river farther over into ky for some reason or another. they bult a rock wall with bolders the size of small cars and when they left thet just took out the rocks in the center of the wall witch left about a 10 feet gap. now when you have a river that is 75 feet wide in this area channeld into a 10 or 15 foot hole its going to be moveing fast. the current on the down river side is very strong but to my understanding it had made a nice hole too. on the up river side the water is slow moveing and about 3 to 4 feet deep. ive only went fishing there once and had a large creek chub in the down river side ab out 45 feet below the rock wall. got one bite in 2 hrs but that bite broke 50lb test spiderwier after about a 20 sec run. could it have been a flat head? does this sound like a spot for flatties? im new a this and have only caught a few small channels nothing over 3 or 4 lbs.. thanks for any help.

2. catmanofohio

catmanofohio New Member

State:
    Aberdeen (Southern Ohio)
    sounds like a nice place for flatties BUT u may have hooked a log or something since it WAS running water... unless it was a fish, but yeah i would fish it man.. use weights

3. IL Hunter

IL Hunter New Member

State:
    Normal, IL
    It doesn't sound bad. The only way to find out for sure is to get your line wet!

4. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

I would be looking for the slack water on either side if there is any and try to put my bait there right on the edge of the fast water and slck water with how ever much weight it takes to get to the bottom without getting pused back in to far. Sounds like you found a good spot to supply food to the fish and a good hole.

5. vlparrish

vlparrish New Member

State:
    Bedford, Kentucky
    Tommy, first off, Welcome to the BOC. Secondly, I wouldn't care what kind of fish was on the end of my line if it was breaking 50 pound spiderwire, I'd be after him. It sounds like there is some good fishing in that hole. From my experience any hole over the thirty feet mark can and often does produce nice fish. Vern

6. cattinfever999

cattinfever999 New Member

State:
    KY
    I'm pretty new at catfishing. I grew up on the OHIO river, but didn't have anyone to teach me the tricks. Thanks for taking me fishing yesterday, vernon. Wish we could have caught more, but I had a good time.
    P.s. how come you don't fish up river from the dock? No deep holes?
    P.s.s Get some deet.:wink:

7. santeecat12

santeecat12 New Member

State:
    gastonia,nc
    i went fishing at robinson lake...i had a fare sized cat maybe 5or6lbs but that thing was fighting i had twelve lb test and it broke it.i was relling in but he wasnt even moving. i know i wasnt snagged because my bobber shot up.:cool2: :angry_2: l

8. brian89

brian89 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    sounds like a good place too me..

9. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    Sounds good to me,I'd be all over it!!!