A good feeling

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by metalman, Jan 29, 2010.

1. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    By far the worst part of my job in the last 18 months has been to have to let people go because of the down turn in work.
    These guys hadn't done anything wrong and are all good workers.These lay offs were absolutely necessary to keep the doors open but having to decide who to cut has been difficult and at times stomach churning.
    To each one I said the same thing: "I will call you back when things turn around" and I'm sure they all thought the same thing "Yeh yeh right, talk is cheap, I won't hold my breath"

Yesterday I was able to call two of them up and and offer them their old jobs back. Both had been gone over a year and both were still unemployed.
    Both were blown away and really excited about coming back. One of them was moved almost to tears he was so happy.

Yesterday was the best day I have had at work for a long time. It felt really good to have made a couple of people happy, to have done something good but most of all to be able to keep my word on a promise that, though made sincerely, I had no idea if I would ever be able to follow through on it.
    Yep, yesterday was a good day...W

2. r ward

r ward New Member

State:
    Kathleen G
    I am glad to here some good news like that I know you felt good about it

3. SouthGADan

SouthGADan New Member

State:
    Lyons, GA
    It must be awful to have to lay off people. It's an unfortunate reality, but I'm glad you were able to call some of them back.

4. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    Winston, I know how you feel about having to let good people go when it's not their fault. And I'm sure it must be a great feeling for you to offer those a job. And an even better feeling for them.

I spent part of my last day at work telling people I'd know for years they were being laid off. It was a sad day that I'll never forget. It was either lay people off or completely shutdown. Fortunately, petrochemical pricing began to improved within a year and some of them were offered jobs.

5. kitsinni

kitsinni New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Let's hope that continues!

6. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky
    its great you were able to call two fellow workers back , i wish and hope you can do the same for the rest before the next cut back . the way things look the economy is still down and not on the rise .

7. justcallme12

justcallme12 New Member

State:
    MS
    That is absolutely great news... Hope that feeling can be continued on..

8. JEFFRODAMIS

JEFFRODAMIS New Member

State:
    TEXAS