a good distace rod

Discussion in 'Fishing Rod Review' started by slikk03, Dec 8, 2009.

1. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    well i got a real for distance, im looking for a rod that will sail a 8 oz weght, and work well with circal hooks,you see were i fish you got to get out about 40 yards into the channel, will a stiff heavy rod work well with circal hooks,ive got 50 bucks to blow, need something good and sturdy yet a little flexible, the 100 doller rods are not in my buget

2. Swampfox.

Swampfox. New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    find u a good 10-12 foot surf rod, ya'll got academy sports up there? seen some in that $ range there.

3. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    surf rods thats what alot them blue guys use but their usaly around 100 i will look into them more,

4. steveturner024

steveturner024 Active Member

State:
    Illinois
    Name:
    Steve Turner
    You may want to check out local pawn shops a few of my friends got some 10-12 foot rod and reel combos from pawn shops for $30 or less. Make sure you check them out though someone could have done some crappy repairs just to pawn them.

5. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    oh my gosh here we go again:roll_eyes: i swear slick you have over 10 threads asking this same question:angry:

6. Catfishboy1995

Catfishboy1995 New Member

State:
    Council Bluffs
    bass pro has somw $44 surf rods that are like 12 ft long in the ctfish gear section

7. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    yes the bp power pluss, i wish i could order one, welder loves them things

8. Catfishboy1995

Catfishboy1995 New Member

State:
    Council Bluffs
    Yes i believe thats what they are...theres the gold cup those are the $44ones...the power plus anr like 20:eek:oooh::roll_eyes::big_smile:

9. ste6168

ste6168 New Member

State:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Are you looking for a spinning or casting rod? My suggestion would be to seriously save up some $$ for a little longer and spring for a better rod.

If you are looking for a spinning rod there are a few that come to mind.

Okuma Solaris Surf Rod ($80 +-$20 depending on length)

Offshore Angler Powerstick ($85 +-$15 depending on length)

Both of the above rods are very good rods for the money. I have never thrown a Powerstick, but have thrown (and know many other who do) an offshore angler oceanmaster, which is the next step up, and they throw GREAT! I will definetely be buying a OCM this upcoming summer as a bait heaver in the surf!

Another rod that comes to mind is the Tsunami Five Star Surf series, if you can find one for sale!

If your looking for a casting rod, nothing come to mind off the top of my head even NEAR your price point! Maybe look into the ugly stick bigwaters. I will say I own a 9ft bigwater and I hate it, there are definitely a lot of guys here that like them though...

10. ste6168

ste6168 New Member

State:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Wait, I just noticed you only need to get 40yds. You should be able to throw 8nBait 40 yards with an 8 or 9 foot rod. I was thinking you were looking to cast 8nBait 75+ yds! I throw 5nBait with a 8ft H whuppin stick pretty regularly. What about a Berkley glowstick or American Spirit Nitestick, or even a whuppin stick?

11. Jeremy Sheffey

Jeremy Sheffey New Member

State:
    Columbus, Ohio
    40 yds really isnt that far of a cast if you think that some guys cast over 200. personally i never need to cast out 200 but 40 is very doable with an 8 foot rod. its all about the release. if i was going to buy a rod and i needed to cast at least 40 and i had plenty of room in all my spots, i would buy a 10ft -12ft rod though. any 10-12ft rod will have enough give for setting a circle hook well. i cant think of a brand exactly to recommend in that price range, only because i dont know what you have in your area to choose from.

however you can always order one from Bass Pro or any other website by getting a prepaid visa if you are needing to get a credit card.

12. USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT

USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT New Member

You.ll be able to throw 8and bait at least 40yds with any of the Bigwater uglies or the tigers easily.

13. yellingrebel78

yellingrebel78 New Member

State:
    georgia
    try catfish connection they have a lot of good deals

14. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Jake,I have no trouble throwing 40 yds with my 7.5 ft berkly big game and 3 OZ got it at wally world for 20.00

15. mintaka

mintaka Well-Known Member

State:
    Charlotte , N.C
    Try one of the Bill Dance rods at BPS. The one here has them on sale for $34.99. I use a 9' MH that I estimate has gotten to about 50 yards. As far as a 4 oz. sinker and bait , it would work , but with caution.

16. carolinakid76

carolinakid76 New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    Hey,brother I love them ugly sticks.

17. arkrivercatman

arkrivercatman New Member

State:
    KS
    I agree.:smile2: Slikk, do you suffer short term memory loss?:tounge_out:

18. alton

alton New Member

State:
    Illinois
    If I recall, you are looking for a casting rod in the 10-12' range. I suggest you check out ebay.

19. Cherokee Rod Man

Cherokee Rod Man New Member

State:
    Eufaula La
    Jake; Do you have avyone else up there to watch casting their rigs? Ask other fisherman to cast their personal rods....most are happy to help you out. Or just stand over to the side and see their form, you can then have someone at your side during your cast to coach you on whats robbing your distance. Lastly with age comes wisdom, look up some old catmen and hang out with them a while it may not be cool at first but they always got some tricks goin on!:wink:

20. FLOAT TRIP WILLIE

FLOAT TRIP WILLIE Active Member

State:
    St. Louis