A Good Day.....yesterday

Discussion in 'LOCAL TENNESSEE TALK' started by 10uhcplz, Oct 5, 2008.

1. 10uhcplz

10uhcplz New Member

State:
    Jackson Tenness
    I went fishin' with my brother John yesterday....we had a fairly good day since the wind couldn't decide which direction it would blow from. We caught 6 pretty nice cats and several good sized shell crackers.
    We also had a near death experience though.
    A couple of days ago John got a ticket from a TWRA agent because he didn't have an adequate noise device on board. The agent told him the little pocket whistle he had wouldn't suffice since the big barges on the Tennesse River would never hear it. John then decided to accomedate the agent who, after all was just doing his job. My creative brother bought an old airhorn rig and mounted it to the front of his 14 foot aluminum john boat.....yep right there next to the trollin' motor pointing straight out the front. Well as fate would have it we got a chance to try it out.....at about the same time John was hauling in that 15 pound blue wouldn't you know this big ole barge was bearing down on us and wanted us to suspend all fishin' activities and get out of their way. Well not stopping for anything....and his hands full with the big cat and all..... John directed me to, "Hit the switch right there next to the one that says bilge pump and let them know were here....they may not can see us." Well I did.....wow what a ride!!!!!! I'm not sure what happened or how much air he had in that tank but when I hit that switch we were blown backwards by the force of all that air and it sounded like the might angel Gabriel just let go on the trump of God. We hit the bank of the Decatur Co. side of the Tennessee River .....motor first. John was still able to put the big blue in the boat. I can't imagine what would have happened if I hadn't hit that switch.

2. shadguts

shadguts New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Paul I'm glad you all caught a few fish. Those barges are nothing to mess with and probably couldn't stop even if they heard the horn. Although from the sound of things(no pun intended) everyone probably heard that.

3. 10uhcplz

10uhcplz New Member

State:
    Jackson Tenness
    Shad.....I got your pm and I can't respond yet because I don't have 10 posts......guess I need to get busy don't I?
    I have fished from New Johnsonville down to Pickwick......mainly from Cub Creek to Saltillo. Ladys Bluff is a good place to fish but the traffic can be pretty bad. I have been out of the loop for several years because I have two kids that have literally consumed all my time. My oldest is my daughter...a sophomore at Union, and then my son who is a senior at JCS.
    I pretty much had to give up fishing there for a while and am just now getting back in to the swing of things with the help of my brother John.
    I'm looking forward to getting back to the river as soon as possible....I've been lake fishing for the last year or so.