A good Carp hook ?

Discussion in 'Carp Fishing' started by kyron4, Nov 9, 2007.

1. kyron4

kyron4 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I used Eagle Claw baitholder style #2 "J" hooks, with a few kernals of corn on the hook and did fairly well last year, but feel a sharper and more quality hook would land more fish. What are some good choices for Carp that are sharp and strong, but NOT super high dollar, I loose to many hooks :roll_eyes:.

Was thinking of Gamakatsu live bait hooks or Owner SSW straight eyed hook with cutting point.Any oipions or advice ? -Thanks

2. Scott Daw

Scott Daw New Member

State:
    Allentown, Pennsylvania
    I use a size 8 or 10 eagle claw bait hook. its strong and the little points keep the corn kernels on when casting for distance.

3. Bacardipr05

Bacardipr05 New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    I have used an Eagle Claw 1 and a Gammie with success. They tend to use smaller hooks in size 6 and 8 so the carp can't see it. VMC makes a good carp hook they have to be imported or bought from a shop that sells carp tackle in the States.

4. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
  5. TexDan

TexDan New Member

State:
    Texas
    I use size 6 octopus hooks. As far as the sharp thing goes, I always hand sharpen my hooks to a ultra sharp point with a set of diamond hones. When I can't touch my thumb nail without it sticking it is about right. Too many new hooks are dull and will just slide on a finger nail.