A good book

Discussion in 'Guns - Blackpowder' started by calogan, Jan 21, 2010.

1. calogan

calogan New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Anyone have a know of a good book they would recommend for a beginner getting into ballistics/ammo rounds/ reloading etc. I would like to learn more about this subject, I would like to get into this stuff someday and would like to learn all I can.

2. BubbaCat

BubbaCat Well-Known Member

State:
    Arizona
    most all the reloading manuels explain the basics.

3. Snagged2

Snagged2 New Member

State:
    Verde Valley AZ
    I had great success with the Lyman manual I got in 1974!!!! and, since, have gotten many more..
    If you have questions,, post here,, there's a WEALTH of knowledge here...I've learned a lot from folks here..

4. Paraguayguy

Paraguayguy Active Member

State:
    Virginia
    Look up reloading manuals and take your pick. Hornady, Speer, and many others have top knotch manuals. It doesn't have to be the latest. A manual that worked in 1990 will do great today getting you started.

5. Kip Brandel

Kip Brandel New Member

State:
    Glasgow, Kentuc
    I will agree with this to a point, they do slightly change bullet material mixes and powder mixes slightly so be careful with loading from old manuals and ALWAYS ALWAYS start at the lowest recommended charges and work up!
    Go to Barnes & Nobel, Borders or the library and see what they have. Our local small town library has several reloading books. Also look at Cabela's and Bass Pro as they have some books. I will get in the shop later and put up some of the better ones I found.

6. Kip Brandel

Kip Brandel New Member

State:
    Glasgow, Kentuc
    There is some good information in Handloader Magazine and some in Rifle. I have not read Hunter so I can not comment on it. Also Hand Loader lists many old cartridges and loading info in there articles.
    http://www.riflemagazine.com/home/index.cfm?CFID=11013056&CFTOKEN=42718059

You can enter for a free issue to see if you like it before trying to find it local or subscribing. Click on the Magazine and then the third option is a free issue.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2010
  7. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I have gained a lot of knoweledge from Chuck Hawkes web site,it covers the gamit ,from ballistics to recoil,loading for specific cartridges and general gun/shooting talk. do a google search for the url,cant remember it right offhand.

8. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I read all I can get my hands on. You will too. Sorry if that's vague, but it's the truth. Read even the old books, but like Kip said...it's best to use the latest data available since things do change over time, and be careful and work your loads up slowly, watching for any signs of too much pressure. Most manufacturers provide load data for free. The manuals are good for learning the whens, whys and hows of everything. Either buy, or otherwise gain access to a chronograph. Not only is it cool to know how fast your bullet travels, but you also have a point of reference to compare to listed velocities, AND you can see how consistant your velocities are, and to figure out your trajectory. I think it would be difficult to get real consistant results without the aid of a chrony. The data is invaluable.

9. Kip Brandel

Kip Brandel New Member

State:
    Glasgow, Kentuc
    Here are some that I have that are pretty good.
    1. Manufacturer reloading manuals. Speer, Hornady, Nosler etc..
    2. Ammo mfg's have pamphlets that have there loads listed.
    3. Lyman makes a good manual. http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=217655
    4. Manual of cartridge Conversions is cool: http://openlibrary.org/b/OL9592899M/The_Handloader's_Manual_of_Cartridge_Conversions
    5. Ammo and Powder manufactures offer pamphlets called "Reloader Manuals" these are small 50-60 page manuals and can be picked up at gun shows and gun shops.
    6. The ammo and powder Mfg's also offer free downloads on there web sites of information.
    7. Magazines like "Handloader" and "Rifle"
    8. Cartridges of the world has some interesting stuff in it. http://www.amazon.com/Cartridges-World-10th-Revised-Expanded/dp/0873496051

There are a few more that I will post as I remember them, I have to go through some boxes as I am rebuilding my reloading bench and everything is packed.

10. Snagged2

Snagged2 New Member

State:
    Verde Valley AZ
    Kip,
    That's some good stuff... and, should help anybody out..
    I also have the "Cartridges of the World", and it is a good source of cartridge info!!
    and, I've used lots of loads from the Powder manufacturers pamphlets.

11. Kip Brandel

Kip Brandel New Member

State:
    Glasgow, Kentuc
    If you like that one check out the Conversions book, it is neat to see how you can make an obsolete cartridge out of cases we have! Makes me look at the OLD guns at the shows for one someone wants to get rid of because they can not get ammo.

12. calogan

calogan New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Thanks guys! Now I have some reading to do this winter to help with the cabin fever!

13. vfourmax

vfourmax New Member

State:
    Va
    Two good books are "Modern Reloading" 2nd edition by Richard Lee and Lyman reloading manual 49th edition. Both books offer a wealth of information and actually together compliment each other. I would say that Modern Reloading actually goes into a little more depth as far as the "why" which is great for someone trying to understand from scratch.

Of course the Lee book also promotes their line of equipment but then again for the money spent Lee makes some good equipment that will do the job at a lower price point than the competition.

The Lee book can be found through online reloading suppliers like Midway, Graffs ect for less than 15.00 in hardback and the Lyman in soft cover for around 18.00.

Also both books are full of good load information which will make them very worthwhile to have on your shelf long after you have become entrapped by the addiction of rollin your own by reloading!

14. Kip Brandel

Kip Brandel New Member

State:
    Glasgow, Kentuc
    You bring up an interesting point, the Lyman books don't promote there lines as much as I thought it would and they are more about the practice of reloading. I like the books like these that show multiple bullets and powders. The bullet manuals do there jobs for there bullets but the manuals that show many loads allow you to see what may work if you have an odd bullet size from an odd mfg.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2010