A Good Boat

Discussion in 'LOCAL NORTH CAROLINA TALK' started by karloskws, Jul 20, 2006.

1. karloskws

karloskws New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Hello All,
    I was thinking about getting a good general purpose boat to do some fishing (primarily catfish) which would do ok from most of the lakes and rivers + the intracoastal waterway(Flounder) here in NC.
    I was looking at a LOWE boats + some others from AK McCallum in Fayt.

http://www.akmccallumco.com/console-steering.htm

Their package prices seem ok. Have any of you guys bought a boat from AK McCallums?

I almost bought one back in '96 but bought a Harley instead. Now that I am going to retire from the Army in a few years, I was looking to do more fishing locally than I do now ,instead of driving my wife crazy.:lol:

I was thinking at a minimum I should have a live well + also a 35-50 hp motor + a trolling motor.

I was pretty much looking at going out in the Cape Fear, Jordan Lake, Lake Tillery, Badin, and the waterway dwn by Sunset Beach. For the smaller places I will use my kayaks....
    I was looking at about a 16-20 footer so I can accomodate some of my friends for fishing as well.

Any suggestions would be appreciated....

Thanks,

Karl

2. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

I have been looking at their web site and like the looks of their boats and prices. I just sold my SEA ARK because my wife/boss says she wants a pontoon hard to argue with that

3. Fishing Fred

Fishing Fred New Member

State:
    Lillington, N.C
    I have bought two boats from them over the years and have found them to be good people to deal with. Especially Clyde. Still visit often and buy a lot of boat acsseories and tackle from them. Some very knowledgeable people work there and they have been in bussiness for many years.

4. greggofish

greggofish New Member

State:
    Holly Springs, NC
    I bought a 2003 Lowe Lake Jon/trailer from them and alot of accesories and could not have been happier with the prices or service.

The only other thing you may want to do is wait for the Winter boat shows. They have a lot of jons at discounted prices.

Sold the boat earlier this year and miss it already.......

5. karloskws

karloskws New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Thanks alot,
    Ithink the last time I was there was about '96.... BTW do they still sell all the tacle like they used to ? I remember seeing alot of that + boat accessories....

6. RiverKing

RiverKing Active Member

State:
    Yellow Spr
    That River Cat boat on that page is a sweet looking boat

7. dcaruthers

dcaruthers New Member

State:
    Alabama
    What knid of motor is that...never heard of it.

8. rzrbk24

rzrbk24 New Member

State:
    Pope Air Force Base, NC
    Yes, they have lots of tackle. I think there website says there have the largest selection of Zoom baits. I was just in there a few weeks ago to get a trailer for my jon boat. There prices seem very fair on their boats (I was in there drooling for about an hour). I would definately recommend AK McCallum

9. Katfever

Katfever New Member

State:
    nc
    Karl,
    I've fished from Southport to Fayetteville. I recommend at least a 17 ft
    for the bay with high sides but you can get by with less in the river.
    I have a 1448 lowe roughneck (from ak mccallum)with a 30hp that i use in the Cape Fear,PeeDee, etc.
    I think it is ideal for the river but too small for SouthPort.
    The guys up at AK's are nice people.
    Hope to see you ((Fishing)) Larry:big_smile:

10. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    You dont need high sides for rough water. Rough water is handled by the bow and the stern. Sides have little to do with it at all unless you rely on a false sense of security.
    Take a look at the Simmons Sea Skiff and you'll see what I am talking about.
    Those boats have very low sides and have gone through every NC inlet and well out into the ocean for years under oar power and motor power.
    The builder of these boats is now dead but his legacy lives on through many amateur and professional boat builders
    Boats that capsize in rough water either take one over the stern or had a broaching problem. If your boat cant track in a following sea without broaching you dont have much of a boat for the big pond. Most of todays manufactured boats wont track worth a flip in following seas. The designers and builders these days are building for asthetic beauty instead of functionality.

The guys that were building and designing 50 years ago had it right.

An aluminum boat on a calm day in the sound will beat the crap out of you even the modified V's.
    I"ve been there.
    Even a flat bottom dory design would be a big improvement in ride.

11. breadboy

breadboy New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Me and my dad just got a new 1648 lowe jon boat (the AK top choice setup). Clyde has helped us rig the boat up, and is a good guy to work with. We have taken it on a few fishing trips, and like it alot. One thing, we have found out w/ a two stroke yamaha engine though, we feel that the 1000 dollars extra for the 4-stroke might've been worth it.

12. breadboy

breadboy New Member

State:
    North Carolina
  13. riddleofsteel

riddleofsteel New Member

State:
    NC
    Greetings;

My first post on this site so I will just chime in. I bought a 1648 Alumacraft NCS from AK's this June. Before that I was fishing from a 1236 Alumacraft that I also bought from them. I have not had much experience with their service but I do like their selection, which is the best in NC for Jon boats.
    I Have modified my 1648 NCS for use as a general fishing/duckhunting rig and we have been getting an education from the cats at our local city lakes and local Piedmont NC rivers.

Here is a link to 3 web pages that show pics of our boat.

http://yerfrockethellhound.com/boatpage1.html

Looking forward to learning more about the art of catfishing from you guys.

Cheers

14. FishMan

FishMan New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    For what you want to do and because you plan on others being with you I have a concern that you will not be happy with the motors you speak of. If you can swing it I believe you will be much happier going with a 17 or 18 foot boat and a 90 motor.

Most dealers package boats with motors that will push the boat but leave you wanting. My guess is to keep the price down. You really should go with the largest motor the boat is rated for. I don't think this applies with all boats but from what I see it does apply with small aluminum boats.

Good luck.

15. ncfowler

ncfowler Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Name:
    Jeff
    I have a lowe 1806 roughneck center consol that i use for duckhungting and fishing we have had it in at capelookout in rough water it handle well I have a 75Hp 4 storke yahama on it and it moves well and it sips fuel, I got the package from boats umlimted for 11500+/-. Right now i have it rigged for catfishing. in a few weeks it will be rigged for duck hunting with a portable blind. the mod v bottom makes this a stable platform. also the hull thickness is almost .125 that is 1/8 of an inch I also rigged it with driftmasters rod holders when removed all that is left is the base it has a front and back depth finder and gps. One tip get a drift sock if you plan to drift fish it will keep the front of the rig from drifting foward and allow you to drift side way.

Attached Files: