A good boat shop (cheap boat shop)

Discussion in 'Gateway Catfishing Club' started by FLOAT TRIP WILLIE, May 14, 2008.

1. FLOAT TRIP WILLIE

FLOAT TRIP WILLIE Active Member

State:
    St. Louis
    Well gang, Back to the drawing board. I'm putting the boat in the shop one more time. (Reps to ya Randy for taking time to get the part for me but that wasnt the problem) I messed around with it last night and nothing happened.:angry:
    I thought about hooking it up and leaving it in the middle of shop & save parking lot with a note that reads FREE FLOAT BOAT.:angry:
    Or just pull up in the yard and let the Kids make a club house out of it.

My oldest son talked me out of alot of evil thoughts about this boat.
    I thought about letting my mother use it as a flower pot......LOL
    Or I'll let my daughter take it to school for show and tell
    Or let my uncle use it to float around his pond. that seems to be all it good for.
    I thought about taking it downtown and pull the plug and push out there as far as I can. And see how long it take to sink (that piece of $#!T):angry:

Hey Herold, Or you still looking for a boat?.................LOL:smile2::smile2:
    Never mind I wouldnt do that to you buddy

2. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    C'mon Willie, gotta be something simple. Engines are not that complex, at least the ones from that era. Give us a detailed synopsis of exactly what it is doing and WHEN it starts giving you trouble. Is it only when engine is hot? Are you under acceleration when it happens? Details Willie! Got a shop manual?

Chin up Brother!

Don't recall your brand motor, but there is a small shop here close to where I live that an old guy has been running for YEARS and years and years. He is a Johnson/Evinrude guy!

3. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    Will man, you sure you want to keep putting your hard earned cash in that thing? With todays economy in the tanks, there is a plethera of boats and motors flooding the market place. Perhaps we can all help you out in locating a good deal on a motor somewhere?? Between all of us, I have no doubts that we can find something. The hull you have is sound and a CLASSIC at that. You no doubt have had alot of good times in her, and provided all of us with some nice laughs with your float trip escapades. Lets find you a motor my man. I'll toss in a hundred bones to get you going. You can pay me back 1 dollar per month for 100 months. :wink: Hows that for a deal?

I see what kind of Dad you are to your children and those kids count on that boat as much as you do. The world could use more Fathers like Catfish Willie. Lets find you an Engine my friend.

4. SkipEye

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    A classic boat like that would sure look better with the classic motor that came with it though. I'd be willing to bring it home and tinker with it (for free of course) if I had a manual. I'm pretty good with mechanics and especially electrical.

5. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    Sounds like a deal. Maybe we can get a few guys together and tear into that thing. We can find parts on the internet.

6. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    Lets proceed with Darryls plan. If that doesnt fix the problems, I've already found engines on the internet that are sweet deals. Just noticed a 1998 65 Horse Yamaha with Prop and everything for 1200 bucks, so I know there are deals out there.

7. Grumper

Grumper New Member

State:
    Crystal City MO
    What all is it doing? Them old motors don't need much to run, (compression, fuel and spark.) It should be one or the other. We should be able to figure something out:wink:

8. Grumper

Grumper New Member

State:
    Crystal City MO
    Willie, has the motor ever been rebuilt? Two strokes usually don't last forever, and I thought you said you had a 60's model.

9. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    Ok Willieman, dont do anything drastic to the rig quite yet :smile2: Give us a day to toss this around amongst the rank and file and hatch a plan of attack. I bet we can get it taken care of without an expensive boat repair shop that doesnt have Catfish Willie's best interest at heart. :wink:

10. SkipEye

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    Just hope the plan of attack is a bit less complex than deciding on a LOGO!:smile2::smile2::smile2:

If not...... I feel sorry for that poor motor!:roll_eyes:

11. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    Now Now, the LOGO wasnt THAT painfull was it? :wink:

Ok, Darryl has offered his services. Where are we dragging this boat too thats convenient for everyone? Probably a dumb question since we are all scattered around. Willie can pull it over here to the barn for storage if he wishes, and I know Skippy has a barn as well. Its whatever works out for everyone. IF you guys want to use my barn, we can all tear it apart in a half day, order whats broke, then meet again for the assembly. Whats everyones thoughts?

12. Grumper

Grumper New Member

State:
    Crystal City MO
    If we can find the problem and fix it, that's one thing. But if it is nickel and diming you to death, that's another. Don't mean to preach, but being in a boat with an unreliable motor almost cost me my life back in 2002. We were running down river in my buddy's 1981 jon with a 50hp Evinrude, and the motor quit. We almost got sucked underneath the front of a northbound barge. It is werent for the MinnKota, I wouldve ended up food for the kitty's. Just some fuel for thought. Classic dosen't always mean reliable.

13. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    Willieman, whats your thoughts? Go for the rebuild and fix, or find another one? A lil help here Mr Floatie?

14. Vince Copple

Vince Copple New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Willie.. Dont give up bro... If it makes ya feel any better, I am still wrenching on mine for that matter! :wink:

15. SkipEye

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    I say give it a shot. If we can identify something solid and it seems to run fine after repairs with a good, long test run on the stand, we proceed to step-two.

Step Two shall be deemed FLOAT FEST 2008 in honor of the Willieman. We'll test it out thoroughly on the water and make sure Willie has a boat tagging alongside at all times. Fish a little and run it hard, then have a cookout afterwards to either celebrate success or smash the da*n thing with a sledge hammer at $20 a swing. We'll sell tickets!:smile2::smile2::smile2:

16. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    FLOAT FEST 2008
    Now thats a plan if I've ever seen one. Not sure what motor he has. I have a manual for Evinrude/Johnson 1973-1989 48-235 Horsepower.

17. FLOAT TRIP WILLIE

FLOAT TRIP WILLIE Active Member

State:
    St. Louis
    Man you guys are something else. Thanks for all the support.
    Kutter its a 66' evinrude 60hp I saw a book for it on ebay i'll order it.
    I would love to keep the motor, but the parts cost a arm and leg.
    If you guy want to give it a shot I'm all for it. Let me know when and where.

18. SkipEye

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    Yoo Hoo....... Willieman.:0a28:

Can you please give us some details about your exact problems? I'd like to ponder on it for a bit.:wink: Plus, I might be able to bounce it off the hometown Johnson/Evinrude shop. This guys been fixing outboards (especially Johnson and Evinrude)since I was in diapers.

19. fishnfwl

fishnfwl New Member

State:
    South Cent
    WHAT?! What you talkin about Willie?! What do you mean NOTHING happened, no turn over?, no start?, All of the wires are correctly hooked up correct? Is it firing at the plugs? NO WILLIE SORRY IT CAN NOT BE ANYTHING MAJOR, the mag system is all the electric (other than some wiring that runs around the engine) I am confused here buddy, I hate to ask 100 questions here online, Everything hooked up fine? I was worried about the points being set remember, but thats not a real big deal either 20g's. Hmmmm I want to look at this thing face to face with a tool box on the side myself, It can not be anything more than some fine tuning on electric fellas.
    The problem on that engine was, Start and run fine on 1st firing, then after that it had to set and cool off and had a hard time starting correct Willie? and now when you say nothing you are meaning??? it just turns over and thats all, ? (I assume) take a plug out and lay it on the engine somewhere to ground it, turn engine over and tell me if it is sparking at the plug. I am still going to say that it just needs the timing set........ 1966 Evi 60 horse, magneto setup...........

20. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    Sounds like Willie wants to "Pounder" on it for a bit.