A.G. Record 60

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by Mack V, Mar 20, 2009.

1. Mack V

Mack V New Member

State:
    virginia
    I just picked up a A.G. Record 60. Is there anything that I should do to it to increase performance or is it good to go?

2. MAX1955

MAX1955 New Member

State:
    KENTUCKY
    Welcome to BOC Michael, I own two of the 6500 abu garcia record 60 h.c. reels. They are one the top notch reels that abu makes you are good to go, no improvements needed on this reel.

3. Mack V

Mack V New Member

State:
    virginia
    Thank you. Now it's time to get used to this. This is my first bait caster. Should I load it with a 1/4 ounce weight to cast or something heavier?

4. riverbud55

riverbud55 Well-Known Member

State:
    AZ Topock-/CA Riverside
    Name:
    Dale Miller
    welcome to the BOC Michael, the record 60 is a top of the line Abu reel cant do much more then the way they come from the box

5. Flamekeeper

Flamekeeper New Member

State:
    Louisville, Ken
    welcome to the BOC Michael,,

ALL you need to do is load it up with your full set-up without the hook,, Tighten spool drag down until it holds in the air, then loosen it and let it fall slowly to the ground and keep doing this until you have just a little recoil in the line on the spool..

Then go out back and start throwing the heck out of it,,Adjust when needed to fit your liking, and you will be casting like a pro in no time,,:wink: Before the day is done you will have it down pretty good, so keep practicing..

6. Flamekeeper

Flamekeeper New Member

State:
    Louisville, Ken
    What is the AG ??Record 60 I cannot find this reel anywhere.

I have a pair of the RCN-60-HC , and you cannot get any better out of the box reel anywhere IMHO...

7. Mack V

Mack V New Member

State:
    virginia
    It also says on the box RCN-60. So it sounds like the same reel. It has Record 60 on the sides as well. I am not sure what the HC means. I loaded up a 1/4 ounce weight on the line and adjusted it so it slowly fell to the ground. When I cast it the lure barely went anywhere. When I do it overhead it went about 6 feet and toward the ground. When I cast it from the side it steered toward the left insted of going straight in from of me. If that makes sense. As you can tell this is my first go around. Actually I tried it back in the late 80's and gave up after two birds nest.

8. MAX1955

MAX1955 New Member

State:
    KENTUCKY
    I would put at least 1 ounce sinker to practice casting with. When you first start casting you won't get that far at first, but as you gain confidence you'll gain distance. You have only to loosen the tension knob up to get better distance. Just hang in there and practice, practrice, and practrice. Just remember we were all where your at when we all started using baitcasters. I started with the abu garcia 6000 thou. The hc stands for high capacity. The side of my reel says abu garcia record no. 60 and has made in sweden stamped on it. Kenny is right that is what they are refered to when you look them up. They are top self reels and smooth and they will cast. I would put them right up there with rockets as far as casting but smoother on the retrieve.

9. waynesburgjay

waynesburgjay New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    For practicing your cast you might want to pull enough line off for a short cast and put some tape on the spool. If you do birdnest the cast, it won't be as bad.

10. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Michael Welcome to the BOC. You have purchased a fine reel. You also have been given some good advise, I would suggest you start with a two ounce weight and practice until you feel confident with your castability.:0a23::0a25::0a25::006::006:

11. Blakemo

Blakemo New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    AG probaly= Abu Garcia

12. Mack V

Mack V New Member

State:
    virginia

Thanks everyone. I didn't read the advice until I tried once more early this morning. I used a 1/2 ounce and cast about 70 ft. w/out a nest at least a dozen times. I am going to keep practicing so i don't end up throwing it in the river when I get there.

13. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    I use a MINIMUM of one ounce, up to six ounces of lead using baitcasters in the river. Anything lighter than an ounce doesn't work too good with baitcasters

Bill in SC

14. Mack V

Mack V New Member

State:
    virginia
    You guys have been alot of help. It seems like a very friendly crowd here. How do the bass fisherman use baitcasters w/ the small jigs if anything under 1 oz. they start to be hard to cast?

15. Snagged2

Snagged2 New Member

State:
    Verde Valley AZ
    Bass guys might be using different rods, and lighter line,, I have a dedicated set-up for throwing 3/8's oz Kastmasters,, and I'm not real good at all with it, but, I can get it out there quite a ways,with a bit of accuracy, I wouldn't use that reel or the rod for any serious catfishing..
    My heavy cat rigs won't throw any kind of light lure, but, they are Cadillac with my Flatcat set-ups!!!
    I don't know about bass fishing, but, the other tips folks have posted have worked for me regarding learning baitcasters with efficiency and confidence.

16. Flamekeeper

Flamekeeper New Member

State:
    Louisville, Ken
    :cool2:

The reason it goes left, you have it to tight for the weight your casting.
    loosen the spool up untill it falls and leaves a few coils of free line,, on each cast loosen just a tad, until you get used to it, and so on ,,repeat Add weight and repeat,, each time you change weight you will need to adjust.

HC= High Capacity= wider spool= more line