A Fused Grounding Wire

Discussion in 'Fishing Electronics Review' started by SeedTick, May 6, 2006.

1. SeedTick

SeedTick New Member

State:
    Conway Arkansas
    I have a Minn Kota trolling motor with Maximizer. The owners manual warns that using a single battery for the trolling motor and a depth finder will cause interference in the display of your depth finder. It goes on to say that if a separate battery is not an option a fused grounding wire is available and will solve the problem. They are right. The manual says to hook it up to the negative post on the battery and ground it to the boat.
    I already had one (that uses the flat fuses) so I put it in and it cleared it right up but I don't what size fuse it needs. The smallest fuse I had was a 5 amp and I blew it the other day. Do ya'll know what size it should be?

Some how or another I unplugged my trolling motor while it was running and I guess that is what blew the fuse. I am ignorant about such things but I don't understand how you can blow a fuse on a ground wire.:oops:

ST

2. Crispy Critter

Crispy Critter New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I would use one of equal size to the one on the hot wire to the trolling motor.If you have a book for your motor it should tell how many amps the motor pulls,the current sort of travels in a circle.

3. SeedTick

SeedTick New Member

State:
    Conway Arkansas
    I am going to call Minn Kota tomorrow I just thought somebody might know off the top of their head. Thanks.

ST

4. Ol Man

Ol Man New Member

State:
    Illinois
  5. SeedTick

SeedTick New Member

State:
    Conway Arkansas
    Thanks Guys, I called them this morning and they are sending me one. The manual said they would send them to you free is you needed one. I asked just to see and they said just 1 amp so I'll see in a couple of days.

ST

6. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    Greg,
    If you blew a 5amp fuse and didn't find out why then a 1amp will most certainly fail. To blow that fuse in the ground wire you must have some kind of short circuit where power is leaking from the hot side of your system to the aluminum hull. You must find it, short = heat = fire...W

7. trnsmsn

trnsmsn New Member

State:
    Missouri Originally Now I
    I'm With You Metalman, If A 5 Amp Blew A 1 Amp Certainly Will Also. The Curcuit Is Pulling Just As Many Amps From Pos. To Neg. As The Other Way Around.

Here's My Suggestion, Go To The Automotive Store & Get A 15 Amp Rated Fusible Link. The Ones That Are Replacements For Fords Will Have An Eyelet On One End, Which Makes For An Easy Hookup.

The Fusible Links Are In Essence A "Slow Blow" Fuse. They Use Them For Applications Such As Cooling Fans & Alternators Because They Have A Higher Initial Start-Up Surge. Kinda Like The 'Ol Days With The Slow Blow Fuses In What Is Now The Breaker Box.:roll_eyes: Elliot

8. sgt_rob

sgt_rob Member

State:
    Bossier City, LA
    I agree that you might have a short. I did some wiring and "got my wires crossed" which resulted in a small fire and burnt insulation on my motor's anode wire. You can end up with a hazardous situation in a hurry. Double check all the wiring before you apply power again.