A fun way to get eater-size channel catfish!

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by jerellman, Jul 19, 2006.

1. jerellman

jerellman New Member

State:
    CA
    When ever you are going for eater-sized channel cats, use a light action pole (4'8"-5'0") using either worms or stink bait. Even when you have a 1-2# fish, it feels like a 15 lber.!

2. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    OH YES IT DOES! When I'm out on the river I have a small spinnin outfit rigged with a #10 circle hook a small slip sinker and a tiny piece of nite crawler to catch perch for bait. Every now and then I'll get a greedy cat that goes after that tiny piece of worm. Its a ton of fun! LOL!

3. Scott Daw

Scott Daw New Member

State:
    Allentown, Pennsylvania
    Darn and here I was hoping it involved explosives!

4. KansasKatter

KansasKatter New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    LOL, **lighting a stick of TNT, handing it off....you going to fish, or talk??**

:big_smile:

5. ASASIN

ASASIN New Member

State:
    Lawson Missouri
    My favorite way of catching them. I use a 7 foot ultralight for my catfishing. GOd bless.

6. Redtick

Redtick New Member

State:
    Neoga, Illinois
    I catch a lot of channels on my 12' crappie rod, Zebco 33 reel, and 8-10 pound line with a 1/0 gold aberdeen hook on the end of it. There is no horsing them in, you need to play them until the end. The biggest channel I have netted on such a rig is a 14# channel but I have hooked bigger ones. I love the sporting chance they have, it takes some skill to get them in. Yes, I horse some big ones in on a regular heavy duty rigs also. You are very correct that a smaller cat on a light rig is just as much fun as a big one on a heavy rig.

7. sairving

sairving New Member

State:
    Fort Worth, Texas
    I've caught a few on my light tackle and I love it. Makes me feel like I'm hauling in a whale. LOL

8. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    I took an old 8' fly rod and put bigger eyes on it with an ultra lite closed face trigger reel for Smallmouth. I've caught a few cats with it and it was a ball.

9. photocat

photocat New Member

State:
    HOCO, Maryland
    lol Why do you think i have ultralight equipment? I was sitting there after the May 6th Tourny at Ft. Washington tossing worms down along the dock and caught 4 or 5 channels in 30 minutes maybe 45... Tim Hagan came down to load his boat up and got a kick out of watching me fight the fish... none were over 3 or so lbs but on light tackle man they can be a blast... made him consider just bringing his clients there to catch a bunch of eaters... I just love having fun like that...

Its even more fun when you have something over 4 lbs on 4 lb test line... i think my biggest on 4lb test is somewhere around 8 or 9 lbs... but i keep dreaming about breaking the line class record for channels and Blues on 4 lb test