A flathead catfish spot for the famly

Discussion in 'LOCAL MICHIGAN TALK' started by mich dave, Aug 6, 2006.

1. mich dave

mich dave New Member

State:
    Otisville
    :sad2: CONESTOGA GRAND RIVER CAMPGROUND
    9720 Oriole Dr. Coopersville Mi. 49404 ph.616-837-6323
    I haven't fish it this year but I got my best flat yet there[39"] the next night had one take off into a jam and lost it.
    The campground's not on the river but just drive down the hill so all gear is right there with you. It's on the out side bend and the fish hug bank so don't cast far [20'] Catch bait there during the day to learn the snags.A lot of fishermen [mostly kid's] during the day and nobody at night[can't beat that]
    The camp has a pool and kid stuff and real close to that big waterpark so the famly's happy and daddy's got a fishing spot. The campground don't put up with loud party's [so keep it in mind] It's not a fancey place and I'd bring my own drinking water there's rustup in a bucket[odd]
    Ther's a park on the other side and it get's alot of cat pressure but they never seem to get much.[wrong side] That's were the boat lauch is [12 mi.by car]
    Bring heavy gear and lot of 3oz. sinkers the river rips a lot faster than it look's and tie your pole to your chair. I had to learn that hard way even with the bail open an a blade of grass holding back them flatties hit hard
    WISH I HAD TIME TO DO IT. SO GO

2. hear_kitty

hear_kitty New Member

State:
    Vassar Mi
    Hay dave glad to see ya found your way back. Have you been fishing the bay?

3. sal_jr

sal_jr New Member

State:
    Ithaca, MI
    Mich Dave

Ive fished the area twice before. I agree. It produces well. My only problem there was that we had a standard 12 foot flatbottom and the big yachts that go through the grand over in that area REALLY came close to tipping us a few times.

I will get back there though. There are big fish out there for sure.

Sal

4. mich dave

mich dave New Member

State:
    Otisville
    The navy has smaller ships than what was running through on the weekends. during the week It's not so bad , Had to move the chairs back afew times. 3$ gas might slow them down.
    Fished the bay just before the heat hit. We went 8mi. out water temp 82 The fishfinder said there wasn't a fish anywhere. We ended up just south of fish point before we saw anything. 3 to 5ft There's allway's fish there. We caught 6 cat's under 4lb 2 smallies and a bunch of sheephead. It was so hot that I had my feet hanging in the water an Adam filled the live well to soak his in.[got a good sunburn too]JUST CANT WAIT TO GET BACK OUT