A fish's memory

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by crackers, May 13, 2007.

1. crackers

crackers New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    My Question is this, Will a cat fish or any fish for that matter if it sees you fishing line not bite your baited hook. I have been told all my life that they will not but I need an answer from those that knows or even what your thoughts are on it. this site is great

2. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Considering the fact that many cats are caught on trotlines with thick nylon chord, I don't think it matters. However, I personally use black, and/or green chord. Haven't seen too many fish caught on those cheap white pre-made trotlines, so maybe it is true to an extent. I intentionally avoid white chord for this reason. Could be superstition???

3. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    If catfish were caught and released over and over they would learn what to avoid. I'm sure this would mostly be a scent / smell thing rather than visual.
    They spend too much of their time in murky water for that. However, I believe that as with all animals that depend on instinct to survive, if they see something that doesn't look right they will avoid it...W

4. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Jerry I don't believe a catfish is concerned with a line while he is searching for the food he smells. However there is a new line on the market called Cajan Red which looses its visability after three foot of water. Good , strong, line give it a try.:lol: :smile2:

5. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    I dont think fish have good memory.

6. catfisherman60

catfisherman60 New Member

State:
    Greenwood AR.
    I don't think a catfish cares what the line is. I caught tons of fish on a white trotline. They seem to bite what ever i used for bait

7. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky
    iv caught the same 35# flathead catfish 3 times i know this for the scars i left in his mouth i used the same line infact the same rig each time granted fresh bait the line was 30# biggame clear mono he was caught from the same whole 3 days in a row i finally got tired of catching him and moved him to another location 2 miles upstream to a spot no one fishes for the hang ups some day i plan to catch him again

8. kyredneck

kyredneck New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    hehe, that fish must've been dumb and hungry

9. Indigo Flats

Indigo Flats New Member

State:
    Lancaster,
    I think fish have good memories. All you have to do is go to a new pond and the fish will bite an empty hook. Later you can introduce a new lure and they will hit it every cast. Keep fishing that lure and nothing will hit it. This has been my experience.

10. Night Owl

Night Owl New Member

State:
    Montana, (Billings)
    In the previous post Mickey Suggested Cajun Red Fishing Line. My Friend Chris Suggested this Line To me The Day I Met Him At A Sporting Goods Store. We Fish A couple times a week together to this day and All our Cat poles are lined with it. We Can only get the 20 lb test here In Billings But I've never had any qualms with using it religiously. Great line, Smooth castability, low visibility. Only problems ive had it that the line pretty much requires a decent sized sinker or else it seems to develop a memory with anything less than a 1 oz sinker, but since I'm on the river for the bulk of my catfishing, a 3-6 oz sinker is required anyhow. Good line and 300 yds is a cool 5 dollars, very affordable....good call Mickey, Thanks, Geoff.

11. Little Luey

Little Luey New Member

State:
    Arizona
    I agree bass seem to have good memory. As far as catfish I don't think they care about the line and they do not bite a lure often so they don't remember that this particular "thing" got me out of the water before. I wonder if the distinguis colors?

12. Game_Of_Inches

Game_Of_Inches New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I don't think that catfish have a very good memory because I hooked a fish and it sawed me off on some concrete and my buddy in the front of the boat caught the same fish a few minutes later. We took the hook and about 3' of the line out of its mouth so we know it was the same fish.

13. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I met a fella once that had a pet bass.When you would walk by his tank with anything orange the bass would go crazy. The container that this fellow fed him from was orange. This pattern developed over several months. For a cat fish or any other, what ever the learned response will be must be repeated many many times. I believe many more times than would be experienced by one particular fish in an open body of water. :big_smile:

14. crackers

crackers New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    I know when we go to some marinas,and zoos the large carp and ducks swarm to the edge where your at looking for a hand out of there fish food. You would think that they would be in the other parts of the waters feeding but they must have been conditioned to assoicate ppl walking on the dock and them getting fed because they have been treated that way all there lives.

15. Smuggo

Smuggo New Member

State:
    sc
    I caught the same 5-6 inch bass 3-4 times fishing in a clear pond. Every time I released him it was back to his little hole...his only problem was that he musta thought small black and green tube jigs were tasty...lol. Fish are dumb, Thats why they're near the bottom of the food chain.

16. crackers

crackers New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    I was fishing on the James river last year and was not gitting any bites but looked up stream a ways from me and there was this cat fish putting acorns that was floating down the river on this rock. I could not figer out what was giong on till i saw a squrrel hop up on the rock to get it. Then all of a sidden the cat fish jumped and got the squrrel then after a while he put another acorn on that same rock. dont know if he remembered his daddy doing that or he read it some where. I just gathered up my stink bait and went home, skunked again.

17. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    Some interesting info in the latest In Fishermen on fish memory.If red line "Disappears" three feet down that will come as a great surprise to all the lure manufacturers that use red on their deeper diving lures.The premise of the disappearing red line is that after 3 or 4 feet the red color part of the spectrum fades and the deeper you go the more things turn to the blue side.If you think Cajun Red disappears after three feet take some to your local swimming pool and drop a sinker with line attached in the 10 ft end ,jump in and see what you see. Also a good article on night fishing for bass which also covers color visablity at night.:smile2:

18. gofish

gofish New Member

State:
    Greenville MS

And what is to be said of 'bleeding bait' hooks which are red? Maybe they are supposed to be invisible? :lol:

Most lures are built to attract fishermen rather than fish. I'm pretty sure we put a whole lot more thought into fishing than fish do into eating! :tounge_out:

19. Mike Epperson

Mike Epperson New Member

State:
    Kentucky

I agree with that line of thinking. A lot of lures and gadgets have caught me in the last 20 years!

20. dewboy24us

dewboy24us New Member

State:
    Missouri
    i have recaught catfish and drum multipile times in the same nite (had to dig my hooks out of a few)
    so i would say they might remember, but they either don't care or their memory is shorter than mine....

what was i saying again??????