A Fishersman's Guide to Life

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by Gator, Mar 20, 2007.

1. Gator

Gator New Member

State:
    Ludowici GA
    Here are a few GOOD Quotes I think we all can learn from. I know Sal has showed me a few things as so has many other here like DRC, Big George and PeeWee just to name a few. So I felt the need to share a few that I have found to be true, at least in my life any way so here we go.

A good fishing trip, is like a well-cooked meal or a well lived life, it always ends a little to soon. Criswell Freeman

For the true angler, fishing produces a deep, unspoken joy, born of longing for that which is quiet and peaceful, and fostered by an inbred love of communing with nature. Thaddeus Norris

No life is so happy as the life of a well-govern’d angler. Izaak Walton

One thing becomes clearer as one gets older and one’s fishing experience increases, and that is the paramount importance of one’s fishing companions. John Ashley-Cooper

Nothing can bring you peace but yourself. Ralph Waldo Emerson

Happiness is not a state to arrive at, but a manner of traveling. Samuel Johnson

It’s what you learn after you know it all that counts. Harry Truman

Remember that angling is an art, and an art worthy the knowledge and practice of a wise man. Izaak Walton

Angling may be said to be like mathematics in that it can never fully be learnt. Izaak Walton

More to follow later.

2. SeedTick

SeedTick New Member

State:
    Conway Arkansas
    Hey Jim, it's good to see you posting again.

st

3. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    Bout time ya got back at the keyboard. LOL! Good to see ya ramblin. Now ya best get busy if ya expect to catch up with "TEA" LOL!

4. catfishtonyd

catfishtonyd New Member

State:
    georgia
    I see a lot of wisdom in those quotes. Thanks

5. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    those are all great.thanks for sharing.i would like to add one.never keep more than you and family can eat at one meal.calvin golden.

6. splitshot

splitshot New Member

State:
    Coxsakie,N.Y.
    Good stuff thanks for sharing!!

7. Gator

Gator New Member

State:
    Ludowici GA
    As I said there is more and some of these remind me of things that DH, Phil, Dream catcher, and yes even Tea and JW LOL have stated before.

Man can learn a lot from fishing. When the fish are biting, no problem in the world is big enough to be remembered. Oa Battista

Successful hunters and fisherman are precise observers of the world around them. They have to be in order to be successful. George Reiger

A man that goes to the river for his pleaser must understand the wind, the moon, and the starts and set forth his tackle accordingly. Thomas Barker

Every fishing water has its secrets. A river or a lake is not a dead think. It has beauty and wisdom and content. And to yield up these mysteries, it must be fished with more that hooks and bait. Zane Grey

The man who keeps everything locked up in his heart will know far less than he who compares notes with his fellows. Theodore Gordon

The joys of fishing are not confined to the hours near the water. Herbert Hoover

If you need a peace of equipment make it as light as possible, if you don’t need it leave it at home. Sparse Grey Hackle

If you need a peace of equipment and don’t buy it, you pay for it even though you don’t have it. Henry Ford

He that would catch a fish must venture his bait. Ben Franklin

The reason life sometimes seems dull is because we do not perceive the importance and excitement of getting bait. Henry Van Dyke

With these quotes we have looked at 3 very important lessons in life, lessons which can be applied to all walks of life and they are;
    1) Carpe Diem or Seize the day
    2) Lifetime Learning
    3) The Tackle Box

More to come later if ya’ll want. I know for me I have learned that all of these and many more can be applied to my everyday life and lessons I have learned from people here. If you just step back and look you your self will see how each and every one of these can and will apply to our daily life’s. I have learned a lot from just reading post here and seeing that there are many here much smarter than I, and with a lot more wisdom.

8. Gator

Gator New Member

State:
    Ludowici GA
    I don't think Tony Stewart can catch Tea......LOL

9. TDawgNOk

TDawgNOk Gathering Monitor (Instigator)

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    That's cause he spends too much time climbing fences and/or blaming others.
    :tounge_out:

10. Ol Man

Ol Man New Member

State:
    Illinois
    My fave... "Gone fishin', be back at dark-thirty!":big_smile:

Ol' Man
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Do not give a man a fish, but teach him how to fish.

11. Gator

Gator New Member

State:
    Ludowici GA
    Her we learn some patience.

The greatest fishing secret ever? PATIENCE Donald J. Anderson

He that is slow to wrath is of great understanding. Proverbs 14:29

Angling is a art worthy of the knowledge and Patience of a wise man. St. Augustine

Adopt the peace of Nature her secret is patience. Ralph Waldo Emerson

Persistence, for the fisherman, is a virtue that transcends patience. A. J. McClane

Never cut what you can untie. Joseph Joubert

There is a rhythm to an angler’s life and a rhythm to his year. Nick Lyons

A thousand fishing trips go by, indistinguishable from one another, and then suddenly one comes along that is fatefully perfect. A. J. McClane

An old fisherman once said he enjoyed the time when the fish were not biting the most, because then he could enjoy the sights and sounds he would miss if he were hauling in fish.

12. Gator

Gator New Member

State:
    Ludowici GA
    Nature is the art of God. Dante

One of the great charms of angling is that of all the sports, it affords the best opportunity to enjoy the wounders and beauty of nature. J.J. Manley

Love of nature is a common language that can transcend political and social boundries. Jimmy Carter

Man can master nature not be force, but by understanding. Jacob Bronowski

Deviation from nature is deviation from happiness. Samuel Johnson

When the Creator made all things, he first made the fishies in the Big water. American Indian Legend

I have been made to feel more at peace about my hunting and fishing because of my strict observance of conservation measures. Jimmy Carter

The angling fever is a very real disease and can only be cured by the application of cold water and fresh, untainted air. Theodore Gordon

many of the most highly publicized events of my presidency are not nearly as memorable or significant in my life as fishing with my daddy. Jimmy Carter

Every country boy is entitled to a creek Havilah Badcock

It is difficult to talk to people who are particularly interested in the value of a river. Zane Grey

A good game fish is too valuable to be caught only once. Lee Wuff

Catch no more fish that you can salt. Old fishermans saying

13. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    Jim has been busy making me cry,and helping others like some more on here.If I only had the words to express what I feel about many of you and for what you have done for me and others.I post when I am able.I have the time,but not always the ability.Most of you have a life and a responsibility to that life and the people in it.You people have to "take time" to post.To me,that makes your post even more valuable.I love you Brothers and Sisters.peewee