A Fighting Belt?

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by deanc, Jul 12, 2006.

1. deanc

deanc New Member

State:
    GA
    The last Flathead I caught was about a 25 pounder maybe a month ago.
    Well, it was something of a tussel, cause I had to get him out from under trees, in the river, with a very swift current. I had a 9 ft Catmax rod with a long handle which I had stuck again my lower abdomena nd upper thighs for leverage. When I got home and jumped in the shower I noticed some pretty severe bruises all over. I began wondering what would have happened if I hooked a 40 or 50 pounder? Anyway, I have a small fighting belt (to hold the butt of the rod) I use saltwater fishing for the same problem so when I go after Flatheads (big ones) Fiday night and Saturday I,m going to try this belt if i manage to hook one. At 59, I can't take a beaten any more. Has anyone else tried this or had the same problem? I'll post a response Sunday on how it worked (if I can get one to bite).

2. Gator

Gator New Member

State:
    Ludowici GA
    It will work great for that. I use one but I also have gamble butts on most of my rods.

3. btmfdr

btmfdr New Member

State:
    missouri
    as long as the handle on your rod is long enough to give you proper leverage, go for it. it defintely wont hurt to use one, but it wll defintely
    hurt if you dont!!! lol ive developed bruises on my abdomen just from sticking my rod in the same spot all day realing in my weghts, and a fish will really give you some bad ones.

4. Taliesin

Taliesin New Member

State:
    Missouri
    That sounds like a wonderful idea. About how much do those things run?

Let us know how it goes.

5. Matthew72

Matthew72 New Member

State:
    Cobden Il.
    I got a big old beltbuckle. About 4 inches tall and 5 inches wide. it would work for you.

6. tncatfishing

tncatfishing New Member

State:
    clk. tn
    Go for it, if it works for saltwater rods it will work for cat poles and any other big poles. I have not had a problem with that yet, of course my biggest catch was only in the 32 lb range.

7. field989

field989 New Member

State:
    east central indiana
    yeah i notice after catching a good size fish my stomach hurts(from me jamming the rod in my stomach)

so maybe ill have to look into those also

8. TNVOLCAT

TNVOLCAT New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I believe one of those would work for you. I've heard of several people using them. I even thought about getting one for myself.

9. Gone fishin 4 kittys

Gone fishin 4 kittys New Member

State:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    I don't get to catch anything that big. But it sound like it would work

10. Gator

Gator New Member

State:
    Ludowici GA
    You can get them off ebay for any where from $10 to $60 depending on which stlyle you want. I paid $14 for mine including shipping

11. Deltalover

Deltalover New Member

State:
    Tracy Calif
    I was watching Scariest home video's the other night and this guy was strapped to his rod with a belt and this shark around 12 feet long pulled him out of the boat and almost drowned him, which was'nt his only problem at the time! Sharks will Eat You! His buddies got him back on board with out injury and they landed the shark!

12. catter5000

catter5000 New Member

State:
    TULSA,OK
    Belts are a great piece of fishing equipment.I have one I bought from Basspro .It is the bigger one that fits up over your shoulders. It may be a little much for some folks but I have a lower back problem and this one helps.I have a smaller one that works great if I'm boat fishing but to each his/her own.But I can't remember to take it half the time ususlly.If you don't like the bruises BUY ONE!EBAY has some good deals on belts.

13. blindfly69

blindfly69 New Member

State:
    kentucky
    are you boat fishing? cuz personally i would rather take the pain because i carry WAY too much stuff as it is

14. armynavy

armynavy New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Yes but you are still young for us older fellas and disabled that fighting belt sounds like the ticket.

15. Taliesin

Taliesin New Member

State:
    Missouri
    And for those of us that are underweight. I am pretty sure i qualify on that account. I refuse to think of myself as old yet.

16. deanc

deanc New Member

State:
    GA
    I paid $10 for mine at Bass Pro Shop. Nothing fancy. Just a white plastic cup on a 5 or 6 inch base for support and a web belt. Works well surf fishing and with boat rods salt water fishing.. Hope to try it on flatheads this weekend.

17. weathermantrey

weathermantrey New Member

State:
    central,sc
    Having a bruised stomach from a fighting flathead is one of those problems i'd like to have:smile2:

18. Gone fishin 4 kittys

Gone fishin 4 kittys New Member

State:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Me tooo!!!!!!!!!!

19. armynavy

armynavy New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Boy I would say you are definately underweight better come stay at my house for couple months so the wife can fatten you up too.

20. kccats

kccats New Member

State:
    Olathe, Kansas
    I like that idea too..... the belt idea...