A few tips I learned along the way

Discussion in 'Boat Tips' started by KansasKatter, Mar 6, 2007.

1. KansasKatter

KansasKatter New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    I by NO MEANS am any kind of boat builder, or craftsman, but I thought I would share some of the tips I picked up while re-doing the SS Turdfloater.

Starting at the floor, instead of fighting the ribs when fitting the aluminum floor sheets, or making any special cuts, I filled the gaps on the sides with Great Stuff expanding foam. That gave me another idea, so I took the floor up, lined the bottom of the boat with butcher's paper, nothing fancy or neat, just covered all exposed boat, and put the floor sheets back down and drilled some holes and filled the entire cavity (about 2.5 - 3" front, 3" back) with the expanding foam. The paper will keep it from sticking to the boat bottom, and it sure deadened the sound, and I believe (Mark correct me if I am wrong) will help with bouyancy, to help offset some of the added weight of the flooring. So now the edges are sealed, and nothing can get dropped under the floor along the sides.

I did leave a channel right down the middle under the floor about 6" wide with no foam, so the water can channel to the back of the boat to the bilge.

I took the advise of all the good brothers here to store my anchor in a milk crate, and another milk crate with bouys, rod holders, and mis. stuff in it. I keep them from sliding around while under way on the slick slimey floor with a piece of 1" aluminum angle pop riveted to the floor plate. This angle keeps the crates in place unless we hit some crazy rough water.

To keep the bait tank in place, I took an old piece of "router matt" I had and cut it to fit under the bait tank. Router matt is pretty much the same stuff they sell in housewares for way cheaper, that your wives probably put in the cabinets to keep your cups and glasses from sliding around. It is rubber material that is shaped and cut to grab whatever it touches, and not slide a bit. I am going to glue it to the bottom of the bait tank, so it does not get to sliding around the floor.

If you are going to paint aluminum - self etching automotive primer is a MUST. I can see a few small spots where I missed, up under the rail for instance, where the paint has already flaked off a little bit. Spend the extra few buck for the selfecthing stuff, it will save some headaches down the road.

As for space planning, I spent a lot of time sitting in the boat, in the driveway, just as I would be if I were fishing, trying to visualize what I needed, and where it should be. This much to my wife's dismay!:big_smile: She says she was afraid to show her face around the neighbors, after I sat in the driveway holding a fishing pole over the side of the boat for an hour!:embarassed:

I am sure there are more things I can't remember right now, but these are some of the big ones.

2. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Judging from the pictures of the boat, you are a craftsman. And don't worry about it one little bit... your wife will find it extremely easy to get you certified - and the neighbors are witnesses.

3. rzrbk24

rzrbk24 New Member

State:
    Pope Air Force Base, NC
    Thanks for the tips Jeff. I'm in the process of putting a floor in my jon boat and someday I want to paint it.

4. BAM

BAM New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I also spent hours just setting and temporarly installing things to see how well it worked in the last three boats I have owned, will probably start the fourth one this year , so don't worry about the crazy thing, the neighbors will move and new ones will take there place and the shrink says that there is no permanent damage, that it will soon pass and I will be cured untill the next boat project comes along.

5. bootshowl

bootshowl New Member

State:
    Indiana, J
    Do you guys talk to yourselves too....(trying to feel better about myself).
    I hate it when the dog wanders off too far to claim I'm talking to the dog.
    :big_smile:

6. Pastor E

Pastor E New Member

State:
    Beebe AR
    Thanks for the tips Bro:big_smile:

7. SubnetZero

SubnetZero New Member

State:
    Sherman IL
    hehhe, I sit in mine in the drive at the start of every season :embarassed:

Neighbors used to always ask, "Going out today" ... to which I would say sheepishly "Naw.. uhh.. just gettin her read" .. but never would explain why I got a rod in one hand and the net in the other...:lol: .. They don't bother asking anymore hehe

I always re-evaluate if I like/need/want something in a different place, added, etc.... I always try thin out any thing "Extra" I dont really need to be.

8. KansasKatter

KansasKatter New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas

Do what I do and park the trailer on his leash.............:wink:

9. BILLYP

BILLYP New Member

State:
    Fayetteville, North Carol
    see thats why teh wife mad eme move it to the back yard. i would sit and drink beer in it with a casted ple into the yard just to make sure that everything would be good, before i took THE OL CHUM BUCKET out. Thata the name of my boat, my wife has another name for it but i cant say it here.

10. catsmith1

catsmith1 New Member

State:
    Haughton, Louisiana
    Gotta find the picture but the wife snapped a pic of me, ersel, and the kids in the back yard watching the barn burn.......where were we? Yup in the boat!

11. knockdown

knockdown New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Thanks for the advice
    knockdown

12. Big Russ

Big Russ New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Thats fuuny stuff.I cant wait to be crazy too.:big_smile:

13. Mickey