A few things to consider

Discussion in 'LOCAL OHIO TALK' started by catfishrollo, Nov 24, 2007.

1. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    As we all know fishing is very unpredictable for the most part. But we all go out hoping that today is gonna be "the day". everything is right. pre-spawn is here. water temps. are perfect. weather is good.. and the bait is plentyful..all the right makings for a multiple fish...personal best day!! lol. And every now and then we feel good about it after pinpointing these days.. Well, sometimes! I have learned a few things over the years about how great days can turn into good to even bad days. The number one thing i can say is the great days everything has worked out perfectly. Fish were biting, consistent hookups, and no problems... other times especially in my younger days, i learned how a couple of thoughtless flaws can send your great day into the worst of them. Ex. not knowing your rod/reel capablities well enough, including the line you are fishing. or not re-tieing from the previous trip. Before you know it, BAM! All over with! Yep, the big one bit, and you weren't ready!! We all understand that one! I guess what im getting at here is the difference sometimes in having a decent trip to a great one soley lies more on us sometimes than just the fish. you have to be ready for when the opportunity presents itself. I'm not a perfectionist by any means, but i have developed a routine and a means of how i fish. i retie at home before leaving. I regularly check my rods/ reels and drags. my boat is simply setup with only the nessessities. Nothing worse than tripping over everything after dark. i have everything in a certain place in the boat so i know where it is even without a light. and finally, you have to treat every bite like it is a big fish. don't fall lazy and think a weak run or bite isn't anything worth not concentrating on when considering your hookset. think and feel through the bite, try to get an idea what the fish is doing on the other end, and develop a feel of their tendencies! you would be amazed, how lack of concentration when fishing can play an effect on your hook/miss ratios. So, consider all the small things before your next trip. maybe it will be your best one yet if you are ready!!! goodluck...rollo

2. jerryb

jerryb New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Another thing for your consideration - always pay attention!!

Seems like the big 'un usually comes when you're distracted doing something else.... :angry:

3. biga

biga Well-Known Member

State:
    evansville
    i just threw everything in my boat the night i got it and havent organized it so i do have some work to do... just cant keep out of the water long enough:embarassed:

4. 72hdflh

72hdflh New Member

State:
    West Salem, Ohio
    I couldn't agree more, with the entire post, but especially the above quote.
    I pulled up to the dock one afternoon to go get something to eat, and I thought what the heck, i'll drop my line in the water untill I get back. I had no sooner set my bait on the bottom ( straight down from the rod tip ), put the rod in the holder, reeled up the slack, and turned the clicker on. That the clicker started to go click....click....click....click, it was high water on the Muskingum River and a lot of debris was floating by, so I thought it was snagged on a passing log or something, so I picked up the rod to bring it in to clear it, and that was when I realized it was not a snag, and that it was a fish. It was not untill that point that I set the hook and the battle was on. It turned out it was a 15.5 pound Flattie, that I luckily managed to land.

5. crab

crab New Member

State:
    Ironton,Ohio
    Oh by the way guys I got Justins to donate some door prizes for our get together this spring!:big_smile:

6. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    thanks for the good posts. when i first started cattin for flatheads it was all a chore. where was i going that night? what bait? etc. and when i started tourney fishing it seemed even more complicated with limited hours and trying to be competitive. the margin for error is alot slimmer than those that just fish on a weekend outing would think. i wanted not only to be competitive week to week, but consistant in my fishing....i learned how to do so ....ask anyone that knows me! not only do you have to have the seasons figured out, you have to be on your best game! the margin of error to win on a tournament night can't be much. maybe this has had an influence on my everyday fishing? i dunno.? but, i take my trips out on the water now in a different point of view than i did 8 or 9 years ago. i may not catch the quality fish year to year, but i know im more smarter now than i was back then. i hope you all will or have developed your own routines to fishing and if it works for you...don't let anyone talk you out of it.. everyone has their style!!! trust me.. rollo

7. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Absolutley, there is nothing I get mad at myself more than not being ready to go when I hit the water. I find myself rigging up extra leaders, rearranging the tackle box, respooling the reels, etc...And it's usually 4 to 5 days prior, when I hit the water I want to get right to fishing. I feel like I am wasting time sitting on a hole, and spending 30 minutes rigging up poles. Just like everyone else I am sure, I learned my lesson the hard way and got sick of it real quick.

8. catcrazed

catcrazed New Member

State:
    ohio
    I will have to say when me and kataddict do go we are pretty good about checking our gear before we leave and if we evan think or have any hesitation if a rig needs to be re-tied etc, we don't think twice. We just go ahead freshen The nots and leaders. I will say though I went out by myself a Few Weeks ago and Had a pretty decent day for being by myself BUT! I Had a fish on which i have no doubt it was my biggest fish I would have caught so far. It was good while it lasted till my KNOT failed. You talk about being upset. That was no doubt about it, my fault and prolly would have landed the fish if i would have tied a better knot. Not exactly sure what the knot is called but it is the knot where you twist the hook 8 or so times and bring the line back through the loop in the line at the bottom and sinch it down. I have sense then went to the palomar Knot, havent had any trouble sense then. The reason i say the Knot failed is because when i realed the line up to the end it had the "cork screw look" like the line had just pulled through, and it wasnt a clean break! Oh well, ya live and learn right.:big_smile:

9. joadb

joadb Member

State:
    Clinton, Ohio,
    cool thread-i couldnt agree more with what you all are sayin.i treat cattin very seriously before i get to the water so that when im on the water i can kick back and have some fun!sometimes fish dont bite,sometimes fish throw hooks,sometimes they take you in a snag and ya cant get em out,but the last thing i want to do is lose a big one cause i did something like not changing a leader!!!!!

10. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    i posted this yesterday morning, and had a fish throw a hook in the afternoon! they are very slow now, and had some flatheads pick baits up. they will mouth it now, and eat smaller baits, but their metabolisms have slowed to the point, they aren't gonna run boys. they are in the holes for a reason... and are looking to suck an easy meal in. not chasing anything.. the one i lost i don't care to talk about.. still mad.. but can say, flathead fishing now is like finesse fishing for panfish!! rollo

11. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    I agree with Rollo, the fish will always act like fish. Everything else is to some extent under your control. Except the weather LOL. But you get the idea. You choose when you go, what conditions to fish under. Where to fish, deep or shallow, on the river, or on the lake. What month,time of day, what type of bait. You get to choose your tools like rods & reels, terminal tackle, even the tiny knots that hold it alltogether. You can use a fire, or lantern, or go dark. You can play your radio, or talk loud and joke around, on be silent. There are just too many things to mention lol. When you think about all the things that you CAN control, or affect, to aid you in catfishing, you should take every opportunity to make sure you have as much on your side as possible.