A Few Suggestions needed

Discussion in 'LOCAL TEXAS TALK' started by tthomas83, Nov 5, 2006.

1. tthomas83

tthomas83 New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Texas
    Hey guys,

I've never done to much catfishing since I grew up on the coast. I've just moved to the northern houston area and well I moved in to a place that has this more of a ditch then anything running by the front porch. Being the fisherman I am I decided why hey.. I should see if theres anything in here... This small stream or ditch or what ever it is has a bulk head on my side.. and on the opposite side has natrual bank with tree cover.. It is approixmatly 30 - 40 ft wide with an average depth of about 3 ft with a 4ft trench running down the middle of it.The Stream dosent seem to have much current unless we get alot of rain. Up stream about 100 yards its fed by a concrete culvert.. down stream about 200 yards from me feeds into a small lake which I have no access too. This small lake "approixmatly 5 acres" is fed sometimes by the San Jacinto River when ever the river rises, but during normal conditions is cut off by a sandbar. I decided to try and see if fish where around my area and I had no bait so I took to the Refrig. There I found some old "lil smokey hot dog weeines" that looked perfect for the job.. I baited one on and in about 5 minutes i reeled in about a 4 pound cat. This stimulated my catfishing instict so now I'm curious what should I be useing for bait in here. I caught some small perch and cut them up, but I found the turtles liked these too much. After living here about 2 weeks I found out that my next door neighbor throws out catfood periodically and feeds the catfish right outside my door. I thought about taken a can of wet cat food poken a hole in it and chunking it out there useing a cut up perch for bait. I've caught maybe 3-4 cats out of this stream between 2-6 pounds so i know theres at least a few in there. I prolly wouldnt eat anything out of here but I'd like to figure out how to increase my catch rate. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks again,

2. tthomas83

tthomas83 New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Texas
    This evening I hooked what I believe to be a very large cat, proably in the 10 pound range. I was useing a plastic bag with holes poked in filled with a few perch heads and some left overs out of the frige that never got eaten. I tied this to a string and put a few rocks in it so it would sink.. let it sit about a hour. While waiting I helped my 3 yr old son catch a few perch "secretly for me to use as bait" but he enjoyed it all the same. Well I put this cut perch on and toss over near my sunken bag.. and in about 5 mins my line darts off... I pick up my rod and try to set the hook... and I think I've set it but as I reel the fist to the surface, He lets go or comes off and thats one cat I missed.. So I clear my head.. throw in again... about 20 mins later... Line shifts again... again i go to set the hook... start to reel.. and i bring the fish near the surface and again... the fish swims off and not hooked... So i debate for awhile on what I'm doing wrong... cant figure it out so i try again... This time I throw in and wait about an hr actually while i cooked some food on the BBQ pit and... there goes my line... I set the hook and the fist starts to fight.. I get him moving and right as I can start to see him the old line on a borrowed pole snaps. Moral of todays story... figure out how to set the hook better... and if you borrow a pole.. RESTRING IT!!!

3. tthomas83

tthomas83 New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Texas
    Well two days have gone by with no posts but heres an update anyways :

Yesterday: I tryed for about 2 hours to muster a bite with no avail, I didn't have much time so I didn't chum or anything. I'm thinking maybe the weather change has screwed me up totally. I'm thinking with the drop in tempeture has all the cats running to deeper water which I can't get to.

Today: I decided to try the whole canned cat food chum thing that I read about on here hopeing I could draw some fish up to shallower water. I ended up catching one turtle and a whole bunch of false hopes. I did kill a mesquito or two in the 3 hrs I sat there with no bite. The rain from the past two days did nothing to the stream to increase the flow rate so again no help there. The temp is still a lil down from normal so I still think the fish may be holding in the deeper water. I think I will wait a few days and just play some fishing video games or something... At least I will catch something on there without all the mesquitos.

Well if anyone has any suggestions please let me know of something else i might try... again for bait I've been useing cut perch that i catch fresh on rod and real in the same area.

4. ncfowler

ncfowler Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Name:
    Jeff
    Hey if what your are doing is working great, it must be great to have a area to fish so close, you may want to try using a circle hook in about 4/0 or larger, and use a quality line I use suffix brand and have had good results. I use a heavy weight pole with a soft tip get a ugly stick, with a good quality reel, it is alway a good feeling to get something on your own gear, one thing i would question is where is that water comming from and the quality if you were thinking about eating any catches. Have fun and good luck

5. raybait1

raybait1 New Member

State:
    SE Texas
    sounds like what youre doing is working, you may try baiting the hole (chumming) at regular intervals 1,2 or 3 times a day and see if you can get them back in there.
    maybe try range cubes.
    good luck.

6. tthomas83

tthomas83 New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Texas
    I deffinetly would not eat anything I catch out of this area.. the water comes from ditches all over the area so yah, no good.

7. tthomas83

tthomas83 New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Texas
    Sorry to sound stupid but what exactly are range cubes? I've been throwing dry catfood in the water about 6 pm every night for the past week, and before I go fishing im throwing ina can of wet cat food with holes poked into the top so some of tha nastys can get out. I can't really tell if it has helped. I have seen a few small cats about 1 pound come up and eat some of the floating dry cat food... but thats about it.

One of the main problems I continue to have is turtles seem to like everything catfish do. I can't even keep a live perch on a hook for more then 5 mins without a turtle munching on his head.

8. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    Worms may be better. Then, there's chicken liver. Also, while the turtles will go after live bait, it often will outlast cut bait if the turtles are active.

9. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    Sounds like a good place to try some DK's punch bait on trebble hooks. The turtles will not bite it and the catfish love it.

10. sw2324

sw2324 New Member

State:
    Texas
    DKs Punchbait will definitely catch fish, but also turtles. I disagree with the statement that turtles wont eat it. If they are eating live perch, they will easily eat the stinkbait.

11. tomcat85

tomcat85 New Member

State:
    uh
    man, sounds like you have one heck of a spot. im really excited to keep hearing your reports you should take a picture of the spot if you can. im sure there are some big ones in there! keep it up!

12. Patmansc

Patmansc Well-Known Member

State:
    Greer, SC
    Name:
    Pat Chaney
    Travis: make sure that you have enough of the hook showing to ensure that you will get a good hookset. Sometimes people bury their hooks in the bait which makes a hookset difficult, if not impossible at times.

Chumming with dry and/or wet cat food usually works pretty well; sometimes rabbit food (the green pellets) works too. If there are turtles there, they will sometimes munch on most any/or all baits. If there are channel cats in that ditch, try liver, fresh or garlic-cured.

Good luck!

13. tthomas83

tthomas83 New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Texas
    Someone had mentioned the hooks with the curl in them. I think I'm going to go to wal mart and see what I can find to upgrade my hook side as I have also thought about this. Theres not much barb sticken out by the time it runs through the bait so that is one thing I've been waiten to try. I'm going to keep feeding for a few more days before I try again out there. The one thing I did do was try some of that berklys stink bait for a few mins last night while I was cooking on the pit. Didnt catch a thing but I didnt have time to catch bait so figured its better to fish with store bought bait then to not fish at all. Anyways.. thanks everyone for the awsome amount of posts in the last day. It makes me very happy to see that everyone has taken intrest in what I have to say. I will try to keep up a daily diary on this post of what I try and if and what works for me. Thanks again guys for all the suggestions. If you have anything you think I can try to good success let me know and I will try it and let you know how it works. Thanks again

Travis

14. mch4fishing

mch4fishing New Member

State:
    East Texas
    Welcome to the BOC....
    Now to the ? of bait... Worms, Chicken Liver and Punch Bait work great but I still have been having the most strikes with Turkey Hot Dogs wrapped in nylon Pantyhose The Stockings keep the brim and other smaller fish from picking your hook clean. As for baiting your Hole You can get Range Cubes at your local feed store.... I have used Dry Dog Food, Range Cubes and sour Corn Mash If you are going to bait the hole you may want to take into consideration the fact that you seem to be having fun in your spot so make shure you can retreve the contaners that you are using to chum with. I like a burlap sack with smooth rocks and a nylon rope my self..
    Anyway keep the lines wet and have fun.
    Marc:big_smile_2: