Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Look at a map and find coves and back water ponds inlets whatever. look for 4-6 foot of water and then find a trench leading to that area, 1 ft to 3 ft deeper than surounding water....there are many of them.

This is the roadway, cut herring laid in the depression will get your reels smoking.

Fishing the shallow trees is what everyone does......find the road to the trees and your will catch more and bigger fish.

Second good method is around the lake (Marion Dam end area) its about 25 feet deep well that comes up pretty fast near the shore anchoring is the key here. ANCHOR fore and aft and hold yourself just off that ledge on the shallow side. Front of boat to teh deep side.

both sides of the boat allow you to lay baits on the edge of the drop, front is deep and back is shallow.

This is for a pontoon with a 12 rod set up....I never tried in any other boat so it may not be as productive (less rods=less coverage) but during transition times this works well.

Oh and remember the shallow side should have some sort of draw to the fish, cove or big flat ect...

Bait should be mixed till you get a feel of what they want, Shad seem to work well for this set up at least for me.

Now most of this isnt a secret but might help a few coming to Marion to fish....this works well on moutrie also.

Curt

·
Registered
2,460 Posts
Welcome & thanks for the info, I'm sure it will help newcomers to that lake

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.