A few secrets #2

Discussion in 'SOUTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by Cgoyette, Apr 23, 2008.

1. Cgoyette

Cgoyette New Member

State:
    South Caro
    For sitting not drifting ... drifting latter need photos for drift sets to really understand.

Ok we all have had cats on a line and run to the rod and hes off. I went through at least 50 styles of hooks and leader weight combos ect.....man frustreaiting to find teh cats get them to bite only not to be able to stick em.

CAUSE----> Hooks and ME...why hooks? Cats have increadible hard mouths for a hook to find a spot in to "bite" and sink.

Two issues here hard mouth and the jaw (area with the little teeth) you see most hooks cant find a way past that area or if the cat inhales the bait and feels tension he lets go and the hook dosent find MEAT.

Hard mouth fix....SHARPEN your hooks with a stone each and every rebait too! Just a 1 pass will do it on re-bait. This allone will fix many misses and become more cooler filler than air swinger!

Jaw fix... is hook style No 7 light circle chunk by diachi! Nothing works better and the hook and how you set the rod does all the work.

1 1/2 oz barel weight, 100lbs swivel, leader 24 inches, no7 lcc diachi crappie head.....my favorite set.

how to set the rod, drag should be relitively tight but not quite locked down. Th eline should have bow in it so there is a few feet before TIGTENING.

DONT touch teh rod till the rod bends....DO NOT set the HOOK...just reel as fast as you can....i even leave the rod in the holder somtimes till i know its sunk deep.

99% of the time right side of jaw....I think there somthing to that but I just havent put any brain power to that yet.

Hope this helps some allready do this but thought I would share.

Curt
    Remember 30LBs or bigger is your spawners who make the lake great consider photos vice filets.

2. mariofish

mariofish New Member

State:
    wv
    thanks for them tips:cool2:

3. mariofish

mariofish New Member

State:
    wv
    welcome to boc good tips in boc lib:smile2:

4. 45CATFISH

45CATFISH New Member

State:
    HENDERSON,LOUISIANA
    WELCOME TO THE BOC.THANK'S FOR THE TIPS.

5. Gomer

Gomer New Member

State:
    ladson,sc
    Good info thanks curt & welcome to the BOC

6. CarolinaRig

CarolinaRig New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I do everything you do... except I use Gamakatsu Hooks!!! lol

7. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Another quality post. Thanks again for sharing the info.

8. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    :wink: Curt, WELCOME ABOARD!!!

Brother, you hit the ground running with the fishing tips. Thanks a lot! You definatley do not sit back and watch. The participation is appreciated and rep points are on the way!

9. willcat

willcat New Member

State:
    texas
    welcome aboard & thanks for the tips, reps to ya!!!

10. Cgoyette

Cgoyette New Member

State:
    South Caro

I used gamakatsu's for awhile...but try the diachi light circle chunk 7/0 you will become a believer.

Curt

11. cliff n york

cliff n york New Member

State:
    south carolina
    thanks for the tips, iwill try them out cliff

12. fishmccall

fishmccall New Member

State:
    Anderson sc
    Thanks for the tips, they will help alot.

13. catfisherman_eky3

catfisherman_eky3 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Welcome aboard and thank you for the tips keep us posted on how you do, and good luck and have your self some fun on here I know you will enjoy this site.