A few regulations?

Discussion in 'PENNSYLVANIA RIVERS TALK' started by ste6168, May 14, 2008.

1. ste6168

ste6168 New Member

State:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Hi, I, and as i can see many others, use bluegill as cutbait for cats. I have always done this on private lakes and ponds where regulations do not really matter, but I am planning to start fishing the 3 rivers for flats. Is there a size requirement, or any regulations on using bluegills as cutbait?

2. waynesburgjay

waynesburgjay New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    welcome to the BOC Mike. You can use bluegills and any fish as long as their legally caught.

3. Cmartin4538

Cmartin4538 New Member

State:
    pennsylvania
    no there are no regulations just as long as you legally catch the fish:cool2:

4. Eithne

Eithne New Member

State:
    OK
    Welcome to the BOC Mike. The only size limits on panfish are listed under Panfish Enhancement Special Regulations in your fishing regulations book. They apply to a limited number of waters, most of them being lakes. Just make sure you catch them legally and stay within the daily limit and you shouldn't have a problem. I would recommend reading the regulations for yourself, though, even when everyone is telling you the same thing. Better safe than sorry.

Here's a link to the PFBC Fishing Regs Summary Book: http://www.fish.state.pa.us/bookfish.htm

5. ste6168

ste6168 New Member

State:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Thanks for the quick welcomes and responses, this seems like a great fishing forum that I have been missing for a while now!

Anyway, Yes, I have looked at that and that is why I was a little confused. So for waters not listed, any panfish caught on a rod and reel can be used as bait? There does not seem to be any minimum length or creel limit for other waters... or am i missing something? Thanks

6. Naack

Naack New Member

State:
    Irwin PA
    Welcome to the BoC.. just catch em with rod an reel.... i like usin the big ones :cool2:

7. Pennsylvaniacatchaser

Pennsylvaniacatchaser Well-Known Member

State:
    Sarver, Pa
    Mike - Welcome to the B.O.C.! :0a25: :0a23: Your not missing any hidden regulations. There are no size limits and there is a 50 fish daily limit on all but the special Panfish Enhancement Lakes as Kristine already stated!

8. catfisherman_eky3

catfisherman_eky3 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Welcome to the BOC, and yea blue gill is a great bait for flatties and stuff I use smaller gills and just fish with them whole or if there bigger gills I will use the head and I keep the meet but I also use the guts and stuff that comes out of the fish it works alright too.

9. delawareriver

delawareriver Member

State:
    bath pa
    welcome to the boc, any more questions just ask!! im sure someone will know

10. bw69r

bw69r Well-Known Member

State:
    West Newton, PA
    i looked this up and i found out that you can not use carp,goldfish,or koi for bait. it says that you can not even have them in your posession. i didn't know that.

11. tbartek

tbartek New Member Supporting Member

State:
    New Germany, PA
    Mike, welcome to the BOC:0a25:It's not just panfish, you can use any legally caught fish for bait. Channels love trout:big_smile:

12. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    There is no size limit on bluegills except for some special places in PA. As long as you catch em on rod and reel and stay within the creel limit of 50.

13. kenlaw76

kenlaw76 New Member

State:
    S.E. Pa.
    Mike, welcome to the BOC

14. WhiskerWacker

WhiskerWacker Active Member

State:
    Pa
    Again Weclome to the BOC, I too am a newer member and agree I really did'nt know what I was missing, now I realize it was the BOC. If I need to know something, I just ask. Blue gills are nice bait but my favorate bait is a 10" live drum. They are a little bigger than your average bluegill and they stay alive longer, if you can get some drum give them a try. Also any fish that is in season and is legally caught on rod and reel, and is of legal size can be used as bait. Except carp or goldfish. And as someone said earlier KOI too, but they are too expesive to use as bait anyway, unless you take them from your neibors pond. lol