A few Questions about the Colorado river flathead.

Discussion in 'CALIFORNIA RIVERS TALK' started by jagdoctor1, Jul 18, 2008.

1. jagdoctor1

jagdoctor1 New Member

State:
    CA/AZ
    A few questions. I am wondering, most of my fish from the River tend to come out of or near spots where the channel runs close to the Rip Rap. I have found an area with shallows right near the channel and it has logs and downed trees all over the shallows and the Rip Rap is lined with tules. According to alot of what I read here on this site this is a great sounding spot. I havn't fished it with all my heart because I can't get away from the fact that I usually do best in the channel. Can anyone tell me if they do any good in these areas? Also when you boys fish the channels from the boat do you put a line out in the channel and one by the rocks? Where do the larger flathead come from, out in the channels or along the banks. I usually fish along the banks and don't have a problem catching flathead just a problem catching larger flathead. Any help would be appreciated thanks. I'm going out tonight so we'll see how I do.

2. hunted

hunted New Member

State:
    washington court house,oh
    a shallow area right near a channel with structure,should be a very good place to fish.you have a feeding ground,plus shelter,right along with deep water right beside.i would say put your heart into an area like this and fish it good,imo.a lot of big fish have came out of shallow water.

3. woodchucker

woodchucker New Member

State:
    La Quinta,Ca
    Im sure you could catch a big flathead at all the spots you have mentioned.Who knows where the next big bite will come from.Only real way is to fish all spots hard untill you find that sweet spot.
    But I myself like the tullies,the more tullies the better.Add a littke slak water and a depth of 5ft or more, although Im sure you can get em shallower I like em a little deeper around 10ft.I fish from a boat on the main river so I set up a little different on a spot,also the spots and the way I fish these spots are totally unaccesable from shore.And for me the bigger fish have been against the tullies,rip rap.Good luck.

4. jagdoctor1

jagdoctor1 New Member

State:
    CA/AZ
    Thanks! I appreciate the pm's also!

5. Snagged2

Snagged2 New Member

State:
    Verde Valley AZ
    Hi,
    Sounds familiar, I've fished several areas south of Blythe, Ca and AZ. I think I've pinpointed the nursery lately, But, I usually try and find a shallow area close to a deeper hole.Sometimes I set, and others I drift or float into them, through them, and have had some pretty good action doing that, even during daylight,,, I am a bank angler so, don't have electronics to determine depth, other than visual and sinkers, etc. Most anywhere I look, it seems there's a variety of fish visible so, I figure there's channels or flats around. Sometimes it works out that way. I've mainly tried fishing in the deeper side of the river on any particular stretch and try to present the bait in a "transition" area. Haven't caught any sizeable flats or channels in any of the back or slack water areas, but, I believe I've caught fish going into them or coming out of them,,
    Basically, I think the more I fish the less I know,,,,But, It sure is fun!!

6. catfish slick

catfish slick New Member

State:
    California
    Welcome to the B.O.C. Greg,
    I think your Quote, I think the more I fish the less I know. That sounds like me. But you are right, It's fun and I am not giving up. Again, welcome to the California Cat-fishing family and the B.O.C.

7. jagdoctor1

jagdoctor1 New Member

State:
    CA/AZ
    Yes welcome mr Snagged. Sounds liek your cloes to my area. Maybe yuma?I appreciate your info and I'm going to get back to it pretty soon. Been working on things here at the house.

8. Snagged2

Snagged2 New Member

State:
    Verde Valley AZ
    Hi,
    Thanks for the welcome.
    I actually live right in the middle of AZ, in the Verde Valley.
    There's a river here but, until the moonsoons hit was down to a little trickle. Now it's up a bit and muddy. So, I prefer to fish in the Colorado River. Definitely a bit of a drive, but worth it to me, buying the gas in no fun lately. Also, the potential for nicer fish !!!
    Would love to try some points further south, maybe someday when and if I get a boat..can do a bit more exploring.
    Until then, I have rods, reels, and tackle boxes full of stuff I can't wait to use up!!!
    Later, Greg

9. jagdoctor1

jagdoctor1 New Member

State:
    CA/AZ
    Cool, let me know the next time you are coming to the blythe area maybe we can meet up.

10. Snagged2

Snagged2 New Member

State:
    Verde Valley AZ
    Hi JagDoctor1,
    I'm gonna try and get over there tomorrow afternoon,(Friday) in time to catch some bait.
    If you're heading that way, PM me, and maybe we can see if it works..
    Snagged