a few questions about carp

Discussion in 'Carp Fishing' started by jdw123, Jan 4, 2008.

1. jdw123

jdw123 New Member

State:
    texas
    hello,

I have a 20 acre lake that is overrun with carp. During the spring time I can look from my house down to the lake and literally see black masses of spawing carp. When is the best time to fish for them? night, day, summertime? Do I need to fish shallow water or deep water? Also, my fish finder shows large suspended fish. Could these be carp or possibly catfish? what size hook, and wieght?

2. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I gather up a bunch of buddys and get a BIG sein and drag em out if it were my pond.jmo

3. jdw123

jdw123 New Member

State:
    texas
    also, what are you guys thoughts on gill nets?

4. River_monster91

River_monster91 New Member

State:
    central kansas
    eh...how about a stick or two of dynamite?

5. C_wernett

C_wernett New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    How fast do you want to get them out of you pond is the big question? It's your pond, if you want to sein them out or run a gill net thats up to you. If you just want to have some fun with rod and reel, most times of the warmer months will work. They can even be caught during the winter if you know where they hold up.

A sein would be the safest way to go as a gill net only catch a certain sized fish, small carp with slip through, big carp will bounce off. But it will also catch bass, catfish, and anything else that may fit into that "right size". A sein will scoop everything up, but you can hand sort out the fish you want to keep with mimimun damage. I've helped to do this a couple of times with stock ponds.

6. jdw123

jdw123 New Member

State:
    texas
    I dont think there is anyway I can use a seine. I only have a 15 horse on my boat and that aint going to pull much, especially a seine full of fish.

7. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    If the carp have been in your pond that long, they have already did the damage to your pond. Carp uproot all vegetation which will result in your pond being eternally muddy.

8. stinkbaitman

stinkbaitman New Member

State:
    south dakota
    use some trotlines and some doughbat. make sure to use circle hooks. that way you can put a lot of carp on the shore but u dont even need to be there

9. mfclark

mfclark Member

State:
    Texas
    What part of Texas are u at?
    I live in Temple, always need carp.

10. catchaser19

catchaser19 New Member

State:
    UTAH
    If you arent in too big a hurry. I would bow fish em its alot of fun and you can select wich ones you want. and it is relatively fast.

11. C_wernett

C_wernett New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    A couple of local guys have done it here to get help removing unwanted fish from a pond/resevoir. Get some buddies together and have a carp "take only" tournament. Get a couple rod and reel combos for the winners or have a cook out, and make a day of it. Can get that carp population down fairly quick that way too.

12. DCcatfisher

DCcatfisher New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I would also say bowfishing is the way to go. It will also help sharpen your skills as a bowhunter and help take care of the problem at the same time. Then you could take the carp that you have removed and use them for a bait pile to hunt varmints such as coyotes and bobcats. Even if you don't hunt I'm sure you could find someone in your area that bowhunts and would be glad to do it for you.

13. Bacardipr05

Bacardipr05 New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    Sounds like a plan to me.....:big_smile:

14. SHOWME

SHOWME Well-Known Member

State:
    Nixa, Mo
    If I'm not mistaken, there is no way all carp can be removed without killing the entire lake and restocking it. It's been tried many times many different ways and that's the only sure way:sad2:

15. Talkinquack

Talkinquack New Member

State:
    China Grove, NC
    If you want to catch them on a rod and reel, put a 1 oz egg sinker on your line and attach a three way swivel at the bottom. Then take 2 2/0 owner hooks and attach a short leader, apprx 3 inches long. Then attach the leaders to the swivel. Get ya some dough bait or make up some millet bait and throw right in the middle of em' and hang on!! Best time to catch em' would be in the spring and summer before it get's too hot.

16. stick500

stick500 New Member

State:
    wisconsin
    my favorite carp tactic is to chum by throwing out some canned corn and then tossing in a big sturdy hook with corn threaded on right into the middle of it- if you need to get it out farther, a couple little splitshots will help get it down, otherwise you don't even need a sinker
    and I agree, you'll never get rid of them all by fishing or netting

17. Kowegi

Kowegi New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    How about a shock probe....or 00 buckshot
    :wink:

18. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    if it's your lake on your property and you're sure of what's beyond your target, a .22 rifle is a lot of fun when they are sucking air. you can also use a fish trap in texas in private waters, like the big hoop nets.

19. Carp King

Carp King New Member

State:
    North carolina
    Carp are fun to catch on rod and reel. Before you get rid of them try catching a few and see how they pull. They will give you a hell of a fight like a catfish and if they are numerous as you say then it will be relitivly easy to catch them. Look for them in shallow areas in your lake, Use a 1 ounce or less weight, size two to 1/0 hook and some dough bait with a sweet taste and flavor. Tight lining is one of the best and easiest wasys to hook them.

20. Scott Daw

Scott Daw New Member

State:
    Allentown, Pennsylvania
    Nah its federally regulated = to hard to acquire. But a handful of m80's should help out alot.