A few Preference Questions

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by zivetor, Jan 30, 2007.

1. zivetor

zivetor New Member

State:
    Charleston, S.C.
    Guys/Gals, I posted my answers to my own questions. If you would be so kind could you answer these Questions for me so I can better my knowledge to catch more catfish.

Q. What is your favorite bait to use for Blues?
    A. So far I have had the best luck with just the heads of a Herrin.

Q. What is your favorite bait to use for FlatHeads?
    A. I have only caught 2 Flat Heads in my life and it was on Herrin heads.

Q. How do you prepare your bait when you use it?
    A. When I use Herrin, I will use just the head when still fishing, but I butterfly the bait drift fishing..

Q. What is your favorite style to Rig to catch your catfish?
    A. I like Carolina rigin. I am just getting used to using a float rig on the drift rigs..

Q. What is one of the key element you look for while fishing for Blues during the cold months?
    A. I am really not sure what to look for yet. In Marion I just look for standing trees and channels. But I am looking for some key advice.

Q.What is one of the key element you look for while fishing for Flatheads during the cold months?
    A. Same as above.

Q. When you fish the upper lake where do you prefere to fish the most?
    A. Since I have a jon boat, I try to stay close to Marker 53 and 54 so I can get off the lake Quick. But when I get good weather, I am going to try by the dam.

Thanks In advance..

Zivetor:cool2:

2. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    This is what works for me….as long as the fish cooperate. My methods were developed by listening to and fishing with some of the BOC's finest, who took the time to show me what I was doing wrong.. :big_smile:

A. I like herring, but I love threadfin shad in the wintertime if I can get them. White perch works just fine, too. Any bait should be as fresh as possible, whether used live, whole, or cut.

Q. What is your favorite bait to use for Flatheads?
    A. Flats will sometimes hit fresh cut bait, especially the head portion with gut pocket, but live bream or perch is a more consistent bait.

A. When drifting, I will sometimes cut in half, using the head and gut pocket. Other times I butterfly, and yet again sew the whole bait onto the hook. With small threadfin shad, I just hook them through the eyes, sometimes two to a hook.

A. For drifting, I use a Carolina rig with a slinky weight and a cork about 8” above the circle or kahle hook, on a leader about 3’ long. For tight lining or anchoring I use a Carolina with egg sinker.

Q. What is one of the key elements you look for while fishing for Blues during the cold months?
    A. Look for schools of baitfish, especially along depth changes, such as the river channel edges, or in Lake Marion, in the standing timber. The blues will be nearby. I sometimes anchor over the bait, other times drift through and tight line.

Q. What is one of the key element you look for while fishing for Flatheads during the cold months?
    A. I don’t usually target Flatheads in cold weather, but if I were, I’d fish tight to structure with live bait, and allow plenty of time for them to bite. I’ve caught them in less that 10’ of water in the rivers, even in the coldest part of winter, but they don’t bite consistently for me.

Q. When you fish the upper lake where do you prefer to fish the most?
    A. For Lake Marion, I like to fish the standing timber, and edges of the flats along the river channels. Again, finding schools of bait on the sonar is important. When the water temps drop below 50 degrees the blues just follow them around waiting for the ones that die and drop to the bottom

This is just my opinion, and doesn’t necessarily reflect the opinions of those less knowledgeable than I. :big_smile:

3. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Cut shad....or Zara Spooks on Monitcello

Live bream or bream heads

Bream heads...whack the body off and hook 'em through the eyes!!

Carolina rig.

Q. What is one of the key element you look for while fishing for Blues during the cold months?
    Moving water

Q.What is one of the key element you look for while fishing for Flatheads during the cold months?
    Underwater structure and debris

I stay out of there. Mariphobia. Fear of the "upper lake".

4. Matthew72

Matthew72 New Member

State:
    Cobden Il.
    A. Big ole redworms

A. Live bluegill

A. hook em in the hump and cast

A. I like Carolina rigin.

A. I don't do cold

A. Same as above.

A. I don't fish where you do, sorry.

5. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky
    welcome to the BOC lenny ,
    in my area shad and skipjacks work best for blues , flatheads and channels . cut or whole , location is the key to which most fish are caught round here . blues are best caught in the channel or fast moving waters , flatheads on the edges of those areas and channels closer to the banks thats not to say you wont catch them in other places . in cold weather round here your not likly to catch flatheads but the bigger blues will feed more prominately

6. zivetor

zivetor New Member

State:
    Charleston, S.C.
    What is a Skipjack, or should I ask what is fish family is it related too??

Do we have those in the South?

7. Tiny

Tiny New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    yes you have them in the south ... they're fresh water herring and most folks call them skipjack or skipjack herring. you catch them with jigs or small spoons. the best way I've found to catch them is with 2 or 3 1/32 or 1/64th oz jigs with little tubes on them in different colors like white and chartreuse or yellow or green/chart. with a sinker on the end of the line and jigs tied onto the mainline and cast them out and rip them through the water pretty fast ... I've caught 3 at a time before like that. I hear a lot of people use sabiki rigs or whatever they're called but they're multi hook rigs as well. they look like shad but they're a lot bigger most of the time from 12 to 24 inches long and have a mouth that looks like a tarpon mouth

8. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    To expand on what Tiny posted, the skipjack is a freshwater fish, but that you will most commonly find around here is their anadromous cousin, the blueback herring. The lakes are full of small herring that school up, growing into an important food source for the landlocked stripers. Herring, as well as American, Gizzard, and Hickory shad are passed into the Santee Cooper Lakes system through the fish lift at St. Stephen as they migrate up the Santee River to spawn in the spring. Another passage for them is the boat lock located on the lower end of Lake Moultrie near Moncks Corner. This also allows menhaden into the lake system, as well as other species.
    The blueback is most common among the herring in this part of the state, and they migrate upstream into other rivers and lakes in the state.
    The herring can be caught on small jigs or the 'sabiki rig' found in most tackle shops around here, as well as cast netting, especially adjacent to the dam on lake moultrie. (A free permit is needed to enter this area).
    Hope this helps out some.

9. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    Lenny you have some good answers to your questions so far so I'll just throw in about 2 cents worth.Flatheads in cold weather are an iffy proposition at best.Depends on Temp of course but for the most part they aren't seriously pursued at Santee from Dec to about April.They have a tendency towards being dormant during extremely cold water but some are caught year round.Although most folks will tell you fresh live bait is best for Flats I think FRESH is the key as I have caught many on fresh cutbait also.Nothing like a lively bream,gill or perch tho if you are serious.If you hang at Marker 53-54 you must be coming out of Rocks Pond area.Plenty of good places along the river bed in that area.That big horseshoe bend is a great area particularly up at the top by the 3 trees.The baitfish tend to congregate in the deepest ,ie warmest water during the winter.That means they are stacked up in front of the dam along the river bed.The blues are there also, so if you can get there that is a great place to fish.Find the baitfish drop your lines down thru the schools.Good luck.:smile2: :big_smile: PS hang on!!!!:eek:oooh:

10. catfishing is fun

catfishing is fun New Member

State:
    Missouri/Michigan
    A. I use shad for Blue cats

A. I am just starting out on flathead, but when i try for them i use live gill

A. I either use fillets, heads, live, dead, pretty much anything

A. I like the caralina rig, i am going to try slip floating

A. I usualy look for a powerplant, or if im in a river, i just look for depth

A. I never fish for flats durring cold months, the become inactive around here

A. I dont know