A few cactus pics

Discussion in 'Garden Tips And Talk' started by Bill in SC, Aug 7, 2008.

1. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Hope you enjoy these.
    BB in SC

Attached Files:

2. stumphumper

stumphumper New Member

State:
    Ladson SC
    Nice pics Bill. I was just out in Arizona and was amazed at how beautiful the desert can be. The first couple of days it was pretty bland, but then they had the first rains of the monsoon season. Within hours everything opened up. It was something to see.

Danny

3. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Those are awsum,Bill. I don't think I've ever seen flowers like any of those on cactus before.

4. ladyfish50

ladyfish50 New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Those are beautiful. I'll admit, I'm not a big cactus fan, but those flowers are enough to tempt me to give some a try. Really nice; thanks for sharing.

5. Bayoubear

Bayoubear New Member

State:
    near that hellhole dallas
    thanks bill, can you point me to a site with christmas cactus family taxonomy? ive got one that blooms 3x a year, never at christmas, pink and white, trying to fig out what it is???

6. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    thos are cool are they nite bloomers.these are on my deck and they bloom at nite 2 or 3 times a year.

Attached Files:

7. Bill in SC

Bill in SC New Member

State:
    South Caro
    Bayoubear: You can Google Schlumbergera Bridgesii, and get all your answers there. The Schlumbergera genus bloom at different times, not necessarily just at Christmas, though they are nicknamed 'Christmas Cactus'. They also come in a wide range of colors.
    poisonpits: Most of my cactus of the Echinopsis genus as your's is, do indeed open at night, and are usually gone by noon the next day. Occasionally some of the early spring Echinopsis bloomers will last a day and a half to two days. Many other cactus blooms last several days to a week, but a couple of days is the norm for most.

8. Angieaz

Angieaz New Member

State:
    ARIZONA
    Beautiful flowers, thanks.