A Father's Parting Gift

Discussion in 'MISSOURI RIVERS TALK' started by dcastle, Mar 17, 2008.

1. dcastle

dcastle New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Every one seems to like reading my stories so I thought I would post another one about a big catfish I caught a few months after my father died. I believe it was his parting gift to his two sons. It appeared in Missouri Life and can be seen on this site.
    http://www.genealogyforum.org/rememberwhen/fathersgift.php

2. Harleycat

Harleycat New Member

State:
    INDIANA
    that was nice to read. great story

3. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    Thanks Dale, sorta leaves a lump in my throat when i think about my growing up on white river and the memories i have about fishin with my folks.

4. arkrivercatman

arkrivercatman New Member

State:
    KS
    Dale that was a great story! I really ejoyed reading it. It sounds like that day was just beautiful. I lost my Dad two years ago and even though he is gone the memories we shared will last forever. He wanted his ashes to be spread in the Arkansas river below Kaw dam in Ok and that is what we did.The day we did that his best friend down there landed his best blue cat. It was still really hard to fish then for me but I realized that when I am on the river I fell close to him. Fishing is the only way I can cope with the loss. Its kinda weird but when you close yours eyes the sound and smell will take you back in time.Again I think you for the post.

5. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    My hat is off to you and I have no doubt it was what you say it is.....!

6. catter62

catter62 New Member

State:
    texas
    Beautiful story Dale! It's amazing how similar my early experience was with my own father, right down to the 10 foot aluminum boat in 1965! Except ours was bought at Sears.

7. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Dale thanks for sharing an Awesome story. Appreciate the read.

8. SHOWME

SHOWME Well-Known Member

State:
    Nixa, Mo
    Dale, again thank you, I grew up on a river in Nebraska or at least every chance I got I was there. I knew everyone of your experiences and could almost feel them as your story went on. You have a great talent and I sure like your stories.:tounge_out:

9. bigBB

bigBB Member

State:
    St.Louis, MO
    great story Dale.. thanks so much for sharing it.

10. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Thanks Dale. That was a good read.

11. Malichi1970

Malichi1970 New Member

State:
    Fenton, Missouri
    Great story Dale, I too spent many a summer running trot lines and limb lines with my father. Our favorite bait was always crawdads and he also taught me how to pull a seine through the creek. Thanks for bringing back a lot of very good old memories.

12. KEITH GRUMMEL

KEITH GRUMMEL New Member

State:
    MISSOURI
    THANKS FOR THE STORY IT MADE ME SMILE

13. streamer78

streamer78 Member

State:
    Missouri
    Dale that was a really good read. It brings back a lot of great fishing memories with my dad. We just buried him March 4th of this year. He always took me fishing as a kid. He fished all the local bassmaster clubs, also the guys and gals tournaments with my mom, and a few other local bass tours for all of my childhood. Whenever he was prefishing, if I wasn't in school, I was with him. He even had me fishing open tournaments with him from age 10+.

We always fished for Bass, Walleye or Crappie. My grandfather got me into the catfishing buzz. When my father was diagnosed with stage 4 terminal lung cancer last May, he sold his bass rig to my brother-in-law and bought a new 2072 tunnel hull alumacraft. I'm purchasing that boat now from my mother and selling my rig. We didn't get to make enough memories in that boat, but then again i'd feel that way if he passed at 88yrs rather than the 58yrs he made it to. I'm now the same age he was when I was born. Makes me wonder if i'm half through here on earth, and I'm still in my 20's, well barely!!! He was my fishing buddy, and on 95% of all my fishing trips to this day.

We were fortunate to have him as long as we did, he was told by a doctor he was going to die in 1980 when I was 18 months old. He had an auto-immune disease and lost his kidneys among partial shutdown of his lungs and other organs at that time. His brother gave him a kidney transplant in 1984, and he got his health back. He had numerous boughts with cancer ranging from skin cancer, to breats cancer prior to this. They were mostly caused by the anti-rejection meds he was on for the kidney transplant.

He lived everyday really wanting to do all he could with his family, not knowing how much time he had left. We got 24 good years out him from that kidney transplant, I owe my uncle the world. It's because of him I have so many memories with my father. Like my fathers oncologist said when he was diagnosed with this last bought of cancer. When we asked him how much time he had left he said. "One day, thats all we are ever have garanteed." He told him that for 9 months, I guess he was right. It just make you think, one day at a time! You never know how many you have left.

I was out on the water for the first time since his passing last Monday. It never really hit me like I thought it would, it felt like he was right there with me. It just sunk in when I got home and wanted to call and give him the days fishing report. Whenever I went fishing without him, I always called to tell him how it went as soon as I walked through the door!

Sorry to bable on here, its just that Dales story just really hit close to home!! Its the most enjoyable read I've had in a long time. Thanks for the Great story Dale!

14. Mi11er

Mi11er New Member

State:
    Independence, M
    Great story. Thanks for sharing.

15. dcastle

dcastle New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I'm glad you liked the story Jerrad. It sounds like you had a great dad and I'm happy to hear that you now own his boat. There's no doubt in my mind that my father is with us every time we go to the river. My brother and I put a couple of rolls of braided line and a few hooks in his coffin before they closed it for the last time. Like your father, he slowly died over the course of three years. It broke my heart to see him like that. He normally weighed about 300 pounds and probably didn't weigh more than 140 when he passed away 13 years ago. Part of me died with him. I have an empty spot in my heart that will be there forever. It does get better with time though.
    I did a story a couple of years ago about a woman who beat cancer. She was a barrel racing champion and outdoors woman. I think you might enjoy it so I will post it later today.

16. streamer78

streamer78 Member

State:
    Missouri
    Yeah, i'd like to read hat story! I read some of your other stories on here, you right some pretty good ones. We put some flies we tied in my fathers coffin, he really got into fly fishing taneycomo the last year he was here. Same way with him on withering away, he went from 270lbs to 160. That was really hard to watch. But on the bright side, he's not suffering anymore! Today was my first time back to church since his passing. I've been staying away and trying to clear my mind a little. Easter was a good time to go back, reminds us of what christ gave us through his crucifiction and resurection. If he hadn't, my father might not be up there with him. Gives a whole new meaning to what christ has given us after going through something like this!

17. catfishcrazy256

catfishcrazy256 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Dale; That was a wonderful story I really enjoyed it Thanks ! :wink:

18. geezer

geezer New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Thanks for sharing these gifts, as I am sure to try some of them out. Especially the one using lemon juice when soaking the fish in salt water.
    to help eliminate that "fishy taste".
    Just an old man seeking better and easier ways of fishing. 'Twould truly be great if every one had some parting gifts, such as these.
    God bless you and yours.

19. willcat

willcat New Member

State:
    texas
    Great read, thanks for sharing!!!!

20. catfisherman_eky3

catfisherman_eky3 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Great story thank you so much for sharing it with us