A Fathers Love...

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by SubnetZero, Jun 8, 2007.

1. SubnetZero

SubnetZero New Member

State:
    Sherman IL
    This just happened a few hours ago...

Background: My Father-In-Law LOVES to play guitar and he is very good at it.He has been playing since he was a kid and numerous popular "Bar Bands". Now he plays every Tues nite for around 4 hours at a place called Brothers Court. Its a Mens center for Down Syndrome and Mentally Handicapped Men. He plays for free just to see the Smile on their faces and they absolutely love him.
    My In-Laws make enough to pay all their bills, and they live in a nice house. But they don't have much "extra spending money" ...
    For the Last 6-9 months all he has been talking about is buying himself a new Martin Guitar. He's been saving here and there (whenever he can squirrel away a few bucks) and drooling over guitar magazines..

Now My Sister-In-Law's (wifes older sister) husband was killed in a car wreck a couple years ago. She has Two kids, the youngest is 7. She lives in a house on Double Extra-Large Lots. There is a TON of grass to mow. She HAND PUSHES the lots. Takes her hours and hours to mow.. Usually a two day job for her and her oldest daughter (they swap off and on)....

Today: My Mother-In-Law was out garage sale-ing and stumbled about a rider. She called my Father-In-Law and he came over, picked me up and and we went to check it out... After we looked it over real good and talked to the guy selling it, My Father-In-Law pulls out the cash and pays him on the spot for it..
    We get back in the truck and he says kinda softly, more like he was talking to himself, Some day I'll have that Martin Guitar, but She really needs a riding mower for that yard....
    He spent the cash he'd been skrimping and scraping away on that mower..

We dropped the mower off and my Sister-in-law had tears in her eyes.

2. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    He is a great man, I sure hope he gets his guitar. Thanks for sharing.

3. jbarnes17

jbarnes17 New Member

State:
    Commerce, Oklahoma
    When you do good deeds good things will happen to you, he'll get his guitar. Reps to him for all the good things that he does for those kids.

4. splitshot

splitshot New Member

State:
    Coxsakie,N.Y.
    Thats what dads do!!!

5. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Thats whats we do , as Steve said and im wiping tears from my eyes reading that one. I would do the same.

6. Kat-tamer

Kat-tamer New Member

State:
    Missouri
    That is the sweetist thing. I wish my ex was more like that with his kids.:angry: Luckily thier Almost stepdad,Kat in the hat, and my best friend Brian, do treat them that way.
    Is there is some way we can all pitch in a few bucks to help him get that guitar? Let me know if we can. I can't pitch in much, but sounds like he deserves that guitar along with a long list of thanks for what he has done.

7. pk_powell

pk_powell New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I too can't put much in the hat but doggone it that's a good man there folks!! He deserves to know that what he did was one heck of a heart full of love for that girl.If the staff will ok this I think it's a most wonderful idea! Reps to ya Kat-tamer I'd like to shake your hand for coming up with this idea!!:big_smile_2:

8. Hope

Hope New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Such an un-selfish man. Thanks for sharing this with us, Tim. Reminds me of how we'd make the drive to see my folks years ago and one of the kids would get carsick...
    Dad would always greet us in the driveway and tell me to go get settled in the house...
    and he'd clean up the mess. Just a little thing of all the stuff he's done, but it sure meant alot.
    Reminds me also that Father's Day is one week from tomorrow. I'd best get busy findin something to send him.

9. SubnetZero

SubnetZero New Member

State:
    Sherman IL
    Sheila, That sure is nice offer. I don't think he would accept it though.. He'd probably rather it go to someone else that needed worst than him. Just the way he is... I will say, I've been doubly blessed to have married a good woman and into a wonderful family....

I just wanted to share the unselfishness I witness yesterday..

10. catstalker459

catstalker459 New Member

State:
    state line city, indiana
    thats true kindness from the heart! what a good story

11. catstalker459

catstalker459 New Member

State:
    state line city, indiana
    what kind of martin is he looking for? i may be able to help

12. poisonpits

poisonpits Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    arkansas
    Name:
    johnnie
    like the song says thats our job.hats off to him.

13. Ictalurus Punctatus

Ictalurus Punctatus New Member

State:
    Greensboro, NC
    Wonderful story. I have known men like that in my life, and they have always reminded me of this song;

I remember Daddy´s hands, folded silently in prayer.
    And reaching out to hold me, when I had a nightmare.
    You could read quite a story, in the callouses and lines.
    Years of work and worry had left their mark behind.
    I remember Daddy´s hands, how they held my Mama tight,
    And patted my back, for something done right.
    There are things that I´ve forgotten, that I loved about the man,
    But I´ll always remember the love in Daddy´s hands.

Daddy's hands were soft and kind when I was cryin´.
    Daddy´s hands, were hard as steel when I´d done wrong.
    Daddy´s hands, weren´t always gentle
    But I´ve come to understand.
    There was always love in Daddy´s hands.

I remember Daddy´s hands, working 'til they bled.
    Sacrificed unselfishly, just to keep us all fed.
    If I could do things over, I´d live my life again.
    And never take for granted the love in Daddy´s hands.

There was always love in Daddy´s hands.

There was always love .....
    In Daddy´s hands.

I think that all of us dads should consider it an honor to immulate selflessness of this magnitude, and then, inspite of our many shortcomings, declare ourselves successful, if only in the quiet of our hearts, to be eulogized with the words like these. For in that quiet praise, we find that our inspiration is pure and good. Our inspiration is love. I know mine is, and I know that I'm not alone.

Jon

14. crab

crab New Member

State:
    Ironton,Ohio
    My daughter gave me a book for my birthday that says it all, I wont share every personal thing she wrote but this particuler caption says it all. I get choked up every time I look at it. When you do something like that it realy hits home with your daughter,and helps them grow as a person and women.
    [​IMG]

Read the caption she wrote under the words. Gosh that makes me proud to know I had that much influence on her. So his gift will make an impresion on her and yes that is our jobs.

[​IMG]