A dog to find sheds

Discussion in 'Hunting Dogs Talk' started by katcatchingfool, Aug 1, 2006.

1. katcatchingfool

katcatchingfool New Member

State:
    illinois
    does any of you have dogs that finds shed antlers i have a black lab im going to try to train any advice would be appriciated

2. iowacatter

iowacatter New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Jason,
    Its funny you should mention that! I am thinking about saving a pup from my next litter and training him to shed hunt! I have read a little bit about it and I think it is very possible. I have also talked to several people about it.

3. IL Hunter

IL Hunter New Member

State:
    Normal, IL
    I've never heard of it, but good luck geting your lab to do it, they don't have the best noses as far as dogs go.

4. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Artical about this in Missouri Deer Hunter Magazine. Says labs are the best bdog for this. www.modeerhunter.com Will probably show up in this link next month.

5. Duzy

Duzy New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    I have a 6yr old black lab and she picks up sheds. I didn't train her at all. I just took her with me when I was shed hunting and she would bring them to me. There was a couple of good articles in the North American Whitetail mag last year about training shed hunting dogs. If you don't subscribe you might could get back issues. lol

6. pk_powell

pk_powell New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I had a lab and she was extremely smart and had a black shiny coat.I do believe they could be trained to do just about anything!Just my opinion.:big_smile:

7. bluesclues

bluesclues New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I have a white and black lab that I take shed hunting. They will not bring it to me but they will sit and lick it or try and chew on it before I get their. I have not ever trained them just spent many hours in the woods and on the boat with them. Good Luck!!!

8. Blue Duck

Blue Duck New Member

State:
    Idaho
    I have a yellow lab who is pretty good at it. He's a pretty well trained flushing dog and retriever. I trained him by just using sheds as a training dummy and hiding them in a field then hunting him through the field. He finds them just like he did when I used wings when he was a pup.