a different kind of rod holder

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by SeedTick, Jul 7, 2006.

1. SeedTick

SeedTick New Member

State:
    Conway Arkansas
    I remembered this while I was reading the thread about how many rod-n-reels we have.
    When I was a kid I kept some set poles and rod and reels down at the pond and at the creek.

How many have had rods with the rubber or cork taken off the handle so you could jab them down in the ground?

We would keep a piece of trotline staging tied to them so we could anchor them off to a tree. As best as I can remember most of the reels on those rods were Zebco 202's, 404's and 808's.

ST

2. Believer

Believer New Member

State:
    Greenwood, AR.
    Was that a cane pole? LOL

3. IL Hunter

IL Hunter New Member

State:
    Normal, IL
    I tried sticking my first zebo combo in the mud once. I was a lil guy and got in some trouble for it!

4. Taliesin

Taliesin New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Where I fish there is a LOT of rip rap. A lot of people just jam their rods in between the rocks to hold them. To avoid rod damage some of us use a 2' long piece of 2" PVC pipe. Jam the pipe in and it can hold your rod without damaging them.

5. flathead willie

flathead willie Well-Known Member

State:
    Virginia
    Yea, I used to think that little trigger looking thing was a foot hold for pushing it in a little deeper.

6. SeedTick

SeedTick New Member

State:
    Conway Arkansas
    You are right on with that Willie.

ST

7. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

Never got to do that as a young un my dad was a little obsessive about the equipment. He did make enough rod holders out of rebar though one for every rod.