A deal or a problem?

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by Mac-b, Jan 13, 2009.

1. Mac-b

Mac-b Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    North Caro
    I have found a 21'.10" Lund Baron Magnum with a 225 Mercury Opt max on it. It is fully loaded with a kicker motor, trolling motor, wrap around foul weather cover, heavy duty tatum trailer, rod holders, sonar, VHF, etc. All items are about 8 or 9 years old and in average condition. Motor has less than 25 hours on it, which means that it has not been broken in good or so I've been told. Price is going to be between $12,500 and $14,500. It cost around $45,000 in late 2000 or early 2001.

But, one thing bothers me and that is the 225 Mercury Opt max. It has been covered and just sitting for seven years. The owner died and his widow just let it sit for all these years. Also, she says that I can bring a battery over and some gas and start the engine or I can put it in the lake and run it with her in attendance. I told her that I rather take it to a certified Mercury mechanic and have him check it out. She is not keen on that for what reasons I don't know. If I run it what should I listen for or observe? I don't think I will pursue the deal unless I let my motor man check it out. What do y'all think.

Also of concern is what kind of stablizer did she put in the gas tank seven years ago. I have heard that StaBil can do damage to the gas tank.

2. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    Sounds good.Why not see if you could talk the motor man into going with you.

3. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    I would definatley have it ran over by a good mechanic, but that sounds like a heck of a boat!:roll_eyes:

4. Mac-b

State:
    North Caro
    I talked to the widow lady again that owns the boat. She last ran it for an hour or so two years ago, then drained the gas tank and stored the boat. She also agreed for me to pick it up and have my Mercury man check it out. I will be towing it to the mechanic tomorrow.

Thanks for all the advice and those that might still come this way.

5. lance

lance New Member

State:
    kentucky
    Good luck sounds like a killer deal if the motor is good !

6. vlparrish

vlparrish New Member

State:
    Bedford, Kentucky
    Mac, let us know how things go, sounds like a good buy if the motor is stable. Vern

7. SSgt Fishslayer

SSgt Fishslayer New Member

State:
    south carolina
    before you run that motor, you will need to replace the impellar and the lower unit gear oil. if it has been sitting for 7 years then you will also probably want to check the plugs as well. if you dont replace the impellar and lower unit gear oil beofe you run it, then you are asking for trouble.

8. larry d. grady

larry d. grady Member

State:
    north caro
    mac hurry up and buy that boat before i buy it out from under you.larry d. grady

9. Mac-b

State:
    North Caro
    We are on the same page about the impellar and lower unit, plus the plugs. Thanks.

10. Mac-b

State:
    North Caro
    Mechanic called Saturday and said that the two fuel pumps were froze up. Don't know the term, but I called the lady who owns the boat and told her how much it would cost and she said have it fixed and I will pay for it. We are also replacing the water pump and changing the lower end oil at her expense. She says the price will remain the same as we agreed upon. Might end up with an almost new engine. Compression was OK.

11. tofish

tofish New Member

State:
    arizona
    sounds like one honest lady you are working with. great find on that boat.
    gary

12. Mac-b

State:
    North Caro
    Update on the Lund with the 225 Mercury OptiMax., it has been repaired, cranked and run at the shop and is now ready to hit the water. Sticker is expired and owner is dead, so it will take a week of two to get the sticker and hit the water. Excellent compression according to my mechanic.

Two fuel pumps replaced, water pump, new lower end oil, etc. The four stroke Mercury with TR1 autopilot is running, all it needed was to have the carb. cleaned.

Possible future problem with be rubber hoses and wiring due to dry rot and not being used. This stuff I can do myself (?), All four trailer tire have dry rot.

Computer indicated that the motor had 37.1 hours of use. Not bad for a 1999 model.

13. tyrupp

tyrupp New Member

State:
    Ellis,Kans
    Mac I wish you luck and think you got a very good deal.I hope you get it out in the water in the next week or two. (from east of Denver) Ty

14. Mac-b

State:
    North Caro
    Boat owner finally got the title to the Lund and a current sticker and we took it out to test it. Part of the deal was that the engine would have to hold up as long as it would take me to run a full tank (60 gallons) thru it. In less than two and one half hours it went South, way South.

So, we renegotiated our deal and I acquired the Lund minus the value of the blown engine, plus the 15 HP four stroke Mercury kicker motor with autopilot, the trailer, VHF radio, AM/FM radio, sonar/GPS, bi mini top with foul weather wrap around, etc. for $6,000. She gave me the engine.

15. catfish98054

catfish98054 New Member

State:
    hampstead,
    sorry to hear about the big motor but sounds like you still got a deal good luck with it

16. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Buy you a new power head and put it on the lower and you will still come out way upon the top side of that deal. Mac:cool2:

17. Mac-b

State:
    North Caro
    Final and I hope the last update on my Lund and it's motor that went South. Yesterday, I detached all cables and lines going into the Mercury engine and we will lift it off the boat this Saturday. Removed the control box for the Mercury. We are going to sell off the good pieces of the engine. The lower unit has already been sold for $1,750 and the stainless steel prop for $250. Remainder of the items will be sold on Craig's List.

Monday I will be traveling with the hull to a Honda Dealer about 1.5 hours away, who will install a 2009 200 HP Honda on the Lund. I wanted to let my local Honda man have the job, but the other guy beat him by $3,534. Found some trailer tires on sale at Northern Tools and already have them installed and the bearings all grease it for the trip.

After I get it back home, I will break it in and then pulled my Sundance out of the water and get it cleaned up and see if I can find someone that needs and wants a good fishing boat.

18. catfish kenny

catfish kenny New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Nicely done Mac I know yer gonna enjoy gettin it stinkey:tounge_out: good luck with her and tightlines!:cool2: