a day to remember

Discussion in 'Gateway Catfishing Club' started by catfishchris, Apr 28, 2009.

1. catfishchris

catfishchris Active Member

State:
    missouri
    Tony(splash) and me headed to the river today. Let me start out by saying we caught around 200 pounds of fish. We caught some that were almost in the teens, some in the teens, some in the twenties, and my new PB. Now it's time for the rest of the story.

As I mentioned above we had been catching fishing all day. We were exhausted and were down to one rod a piece. All of a sudden my rod went down hard. I fought that fish for 15 minutes and I couldn't do nothing with him. I leaned on him with all I had and the best I could do is stop him for a few seconds. Finally, he broke off.

Tony and I were sitting down talking about what just had happened when his rod took a nose dive. After fighting that fish for 10 minutes Tony said "dude either take this rod or let him go." Thirty minutes later I was still fighting that fish. He would come to the boat and then turn around and head down stream.

Ryan(stlcatman) and Jason(slipnot) were anchored close to us. I asked them guys if they would pull anchor and let me in their boat. My idea was to float down over the fish and fight him straight up and down.

The first time he came up I got excited and thought this is "pig daddy" for sure. The next time he came up Jason slipped the net under him and the fight was done. I was so exhausted I felt the fish had won,eventhough he was in the boat.

We took some pictures, weighed him, and sent him on his way. The scale read 71 pounds. My new PB. As the fish swam away he splashed a bunch water in mine and Ryans face. Like he said take that old man.

I would like to thank my partner Tony, Ryan and Jason. I will remember that fish and today's trip for a long time. For me this was truly a day to remember.

Attached Files:

2. stlcatman

stlcatman New Member

State:
    Imperial, MO
    Chris, it was awsome just to be there to see it. I would give Tony a bunch of crap to give the rod up but that current was so strong that I had to take breaks while realing in my lines with just the bait on them.:smile2: Great job guys and congrats again Chris on a new PB!

3. Ol Swampy

Ol Swampy New Member

State:
    Festus Mo.
    Congrats Chris! Nice fish for sure and one to remember! Ryan called afterwards and told me about it and how you and Tony had to show he and Jason how to catch them!:smile2: I talked to Ryan later this evening and aparently they didn't listed well enough!:roll_eyes:

4. stlcatman

stlcatman New Member

State:
    Imperial, MO
    It is still funny to see me in that picture and you all hunched over. Man you had to be there to see how tired Chris was after that one. I wasn't just there for a photo opp, he seriously needed some help to hold that creature up.:smile2:

5. catfishchris

catfishchris Active Member

State:
    missouri
    Man I was wiped out. It was all I could do to stand up. I took a serious whippen today!

6. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    Man you ain't kidding thats a bad pic!:smile2:

Were you in fog or what, can't even see you! Hope Tony has a better one.

Congrats on your PB!!!!!!!!!

I am gonna have to fish with Tony more, he even gave up his rod the other day when a 20 lb sturgeon whooped him and we had to 'finish the job' for him!:smile2:

7. poopdeck [patrick]

poopdeck [patrick] New Member

State:
    ofallon il
    I want to fish with tony. I need some one to hand me their rod with fish on:wink:

8. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    Congrats on the PB. Great story.

9. TN Greg

TN Greg Member

State:
    MO
    Congrats Chris. The big boys must be biting.

I got the boat back enough shape to limp by for the next two weeks before I have to dock it for the impending young'n.

I'm going to go find some current now.

10. bnewsom71

bnewsom71 New Member

State:
    Mathervill
    Congrats on the new PB Chris! Thats a whopper!!

11. SkipEye

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    Uh Oh!!!!! Here comes a 'NUTROLL'!!!!!!!:smile2::smile2::smile2:

12. Michael Jake

Michael Jake New Member

State:
    Troy, Missouri
    Way to go Chris and congratulations on your new PB… That’s an awesome fish and an experience you won’t forget… Did ya check it to see if it was the fish that broke off? :smile2: I was wondering what river and what bait for the day was… after an awesome day of over 200 pounds then topping it off with a new PB, it truly will be a day you’ll remember. :wink:

13. RIVER-RAT

RIVER-RAT New Member

State:
    MO / MT
    Congrats again Chris! You sounded a bit whooped and winded last night when I was talking to ya! :smile2::smile2: I had a feeling you and Tony were gonna get a gooden' yesterday...heck while I was in the parking lot you two reeled in several fish! Way to find em! Good Job again Chris!

How cool is that there were four BOC / Gateway members out there on the river to assist one another! Reps to you two Ryan and Jason!

14. Skunk Master

Skunk Master New Member

State:
    Colinsville, Il
    Congrats Chris... I guess I better get off my butt and get back on the river before you guys catch all the fish..

15. RIVER-RAT

RIVER-RAT New Member

State:
    MO / MT
    I don't see that happening........I mean you getting off your butt!!!!!!!!!! :smile2::smile2::smile2::smile2::smile2::smile2:

16. Grumper

Grumper New Member

State:
    Crystal City MO
    Congratulations, Chris!! That's a heck of a fish.:wink: All these big fish being caught is making me jealous! I guess you actually have to go fishing to catch them, though.:roll_eyes: Anybody off work on Mondays? I'm usually off on Mondays, but never fish cause I have nobody to go with. If anyone wants to to out, give me a shout.:wink:

17. SkipEye

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    I used to fish alone a lot when no one else wanted to go. Just talk to myself for entertainment!:smile2: It's hard to get a good pic of your fish though. No one to second-guess your poor strategy or fishing skills either!:smile2:

18. Grumper

Grumper New Member

State:
    Crystal City MO
    Yeah, I hear ya there. I've haven't fished alot because I've been hobbling around with a bummed knee for the past two months, plus I keep the boat over at Cuzs now, but Im itching to get out there now that the weather is getting decent.:wink:

19. katcatchingfool

katcatchingfool New Member

State:
    illinois
    Chris, you did a fine job and I take my hat off to you sir! I spent alot of time in some realy good places yesterday and could not get the job done. You guys did awsome! I am happy to hear someone did good! Reps Brother!