A day of fishing 2 lakes

Discussion in 'CALIFORNIA LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by godsglad8tor, Oct 24, 2007.

1. godsglad8tor

godsglad8tor New Member

State:
    Riverside, CA
    okay due to the fire near the mts, my job in the cajon pass was closed today as well as tomarow, so i can really get some well deserved fishing done... well around 12pm i decided to go to peris lake due to the fact that other lakes were further away from me and the traffic issue, no guard at the gate which was pain the rear end because i had to go break a 20 just to go back to enter my money in the slot, payed my 3 bucks to fish off the dock since latley thats all the action this lake has seen latley when it comes to bluegill and catfish, cant catch any fish try for some bluegill, at least its fun and you catch fish, well if you catch one, i got skunked, had nightcrawlers and meal worms for the bluegills. chicken livers, nightcrawlers & anchovies for the cats, nothing, stayed until 5. meanwhile i got a call from my boss saying there will be no work tomarow, so i got to thinking, night fishing here i come!

okay there are certain places i dont mind fishing at night alone, but when i thought of silverwood, that just wont due, after calling a few people i got one of my friends to tag along, i arived at the dam around 9pm and there were only one group of people fishing there, and just my luck its the only reall good flat spot there next to the restroom as you walk down the service road, so i was like grrr... i brought quit a bit of stuff so i never really fished the dam before and i didnt like the idea of lugging everything down there on the rip rap and then bringing it back up later so we decided to walk accross the dam to the end, and to my surprise no flat spots like the one that was taken but we did find this one spot that would do, you will see where i was if you see a fire ring with some wheel tracks leading past it after you pass the next locked gat at the end, only draw back was the small 10ft cliff in front of us as well as some slopes that lead down to the water, but we were there and i said owell gotta try it since were there. still had the bait from earlier, casted out 3 poles with 2 nightcrawlers and an anchovie, lost one worm and thats it, okay this is a first for me but i did catch a cat around 1lb male that swallowed a whole anchovie, sometimes i will cut the anchovies up but decided to use a whole one due to the fact it was dark, the only thing i didnt think about, hmmmm, what if i catch a fish where am i going to tie up the stringer, no sand at the bottom of the slopes just rock, i did manage to chizzle some hole, however if my fish was bigger than this little guy, he would have definetly got away with the mickeymouse hold i had on this little guy...in the end my friend got frustrated with her poledue to some mouse nest with here line and wanted to leave because she dosnt like fishing at night, cry me a river, i drive up there and wasted all that gas for one fish when i could have caught more, she knew what i had in mind in the first place, anyways there you have it

ps. talked to some of the guys that were in the parking lot and they said they had some good striper action there on anchovies, and of course you saw the usuall drunks that hang out there

2. Jedi007

Jedi007 New Member

State:
    Chino Hills, California
    That lake gets pretty spooky at night. Dark as coal. Sounds like you brought the wrong friend. The guy at the front told me the same thing about anchovies and the stripers when I went about a month ago. Appreciate the report.

3. gilmafam

gilmafam Well-Known Member

State:
    California
    I thought that You might have had some moon lite last night..... was it all smoked out up there?

Skinner give out some good stirpers at times.... did you try the south side launch area?

bayrunner ray

4. godsglad8tor

godsglad8tor New Member

State:
    Riverside, CA
    ya it can be spooky, especially when my car is over 100yrds away and anyone can steal or break into it at any given time, good thing the horn works on the alarm eh haha, shes okay during the day but i learned my lesson to bring her nightfishing, it was either her or i couldnt go fishing at all...

actually the moon was white and bright only had to turn on the lantern when i rebaited my hooks, a little chilly but not to bad, smelled a little smokey but not to bad, 138 by 176 was shut down but the 176 was wide open as well as the dam, looks like a helicopter was looking for someone, kinda spooky getting lit up a few times so they werent looking for us, but it sure was anoying for about 30 mins, havent been to skinner in a long time, and i really havent been to silverwood except at night, this is only my 2nd trip