A day in the life....

Discussion in 'LOCAL PENNSYLVANIA TALK' started by Cattitude, May 10, 2009.

1. Cattitude

Cattitude New Member

State:
    Waynesboro Pa.
    Last night was spent restring rods and sorting tackle. Finished at 3am and started breakfast. Woke everyone up and was on the road by 530. I took the family and a good freind of mine up to fuller lake so the kids could see it get stocked with trout. While we waited and waited for the truck my wife caught a nice rainbow and a brown. Everyone else got the skunk. Truck came and we watched the stocking. Bout that time ole mister big black snake decided it was time to come out and sun himself about 5 feet away from the wifey. Once she got over it we watched him take his time and go along the shore looking for whatever he was looking for. No more the 15 minutes later here comes mister cooperhead scootin along the bank. Minute I said it's a cooperhead wife and children were on the top of the picnic table. Well the snakie went on about his business and everyone felt they had enough fun for one morning. We all came home and napped then headed for the potomac at williamsport to check the river...took the rods and bait along of course. We get there and throw the lines out mess with the current the weeds dead leaves corn husk and whatever else was floating by....fought the crap till 1030 pulled out skunked and just got home. Up and at it again in the am. or so they say. we will see. But im game.

2. Pennsylvaniacatchaser

Pennsylvaniacatchaser Well-Known Member

State:
    Sarver, Pa
    :smile2: Thanks Ken for the good laugh to start my day! :big_smile: Almost blew my orange juice on the computer! :smile2:

3. Cattitude

Cattitude New Member

State:
    Waynesboro Pa.
    Well were up and moving but it sure ain't in the am.

4. Cattitude

Cattitude New Member

State:
    Waynesboro Pa.
    Well yesterday for mothers day my wife said all she wanted to do was catch a big catfish. So off we got to wal-mart to get her maryland licenses and head out to the potomac. We went back to williamsport at the boat landing area. I brought another of my fishing buds along cause he gets his kids every other weekend and was looking for a spot we could all get in. Now if we all go It would be 3 boys 6 8 12, two girls 13, 12, wife and I, bud and dean, so thats a total of 9 with over hal being kids. Only place I can find that we all can get in is williamsport. So off we go to check it out again everyone but the boys. Water is running fast but had gone down from the night before. So we try and try nothing. around 8 the wife and girls left and us boys stayed till 2. Few hits but nothing we could catch. Ran a variety of bait including cut trout cut eel shrimp liver and hog crawlers. Other guys there were having the same luck. I figure as the water starts to go down there gonna hit sooner or later. Also just starting out at a new spot takes time. Plus add the fishing from the shore to it. So im not surprised in the least. All that being said I'm gonna hit it again tonight.

5. Pip

Pip New Member

State:
    pa
    Just a suggestion Ken, Maybe try just up river from the ramp there where the creek dumps into the river.

Also, down at Dam#4(Big Slackwater). Fish below the dam. From the bank there is a couple nice Eddy's that usually hold some nice channels in the 10# range. Pretty easy to get to, the C&O canal runs along there also. Maybe 100 yards from the parking area.

Also at Big slackwater, right at the boat ramps above the dam there is several places to bank fish that also hold some nice cats, carp, eels, turtles etc. deep water (25') 30 yards out, cast your baits on the edges of the drop offs and you can get them when they are coming up to the shallows to feed in the evening.

Taylors landing about a mile or so below Dam #4 shallow water that you can bank fish, good channel area all along there.

Also, Up at Four Lockes above dam #5 at the boat ramp, decent bank fishing. You can drive past the ramps, and 1/4 mile or so there is an easy access above the ramps to bank fish.

All the above areas can produce channels 10lb+ at times. Cut blue gill, fallfish,chubs all works really good. for the eaters, shrimp, chicken livers, etc...

PS, don't get discouraged, with the water dropping so fast right now and the full moon the bite is probably off. They most likely got their bellys full from when the water was rising. this coming weekend should be a lot better.

6. Cattitude

Cattitude New Member

State:
    Waynesboro Pa.
    Thanks for all the info The water depths and yardage sure help out. I was gonna go this evening but I think I'll give it a day or so yet to settle down. On the other hand I have a doc appointment in baltimore near inner harbour on thursday and am thinking about heading out after that somewhere any suggestions. I don't have tidal water license just straight maryland licenses also I think there are a few fishing areas that are license free other than that wear does the potomac start to be tidal waters at.

7. Pip

Pip New Member

State:
    pa
    Far as nontidal water. I have a rough idea, but best to get on MD DNR website, they have the boundaries on there. I'm not too familiar with down around Baltimore, as I usually only go to the Lower potomac when I'm down that way. Far as the Potomac goes, Great Falls, just north of DC is the boundary for non-tidal license. There is quite a few reserviors around Baltimore, but best to look at the DNR site for those, they have directions and info for those places.

Not much help, but the DNR site will be able provide ya with the answers. pretty good informative site.

8. Cattitude

Cattitude New Member

State:
    Waynesboro Pa.
    Been on the dnr site and I map quested a few. I can find them okay. I was more asking what you or anyone else knew from first hand. If I was down there alot I'd put the time in and figure it out but being as it's only a few doctors appointments a month and never knowing how I'm gonna be feeling I figured I'd ask. I'm not all that hot on expanding my boundries just yet:tounge_out: I figure within 40 minutes of me I got enough to figure out as it stands. On the other hand It's hard to leave home without thinking HMMMM wonder if thers any fishing near there:smile2:

9. MrFlathead

MrFlathead New Member

State:
    Il
    Where at are these dams exactly I am stationed at Ft. Meade which is inbetween DC and Baltimore if you didnt know. I am trying to find another place to fish other than the Susquehanna. I would love to find a nice spot to bank fish for blues if you know one. Also I think I may try a few of these channel spots out that you mentioned, I got 2 kids that tag along and Conowingo dam is a litttle rough sometimes with a 3 year old and a 5 year old.

10. Pip

Pip New Member

State:
    pa
    Hey Zack,

Far as the blues. The lower Potomac is where you would want to be fishing if your at Fort Meade. Goggle Fort Washington national park. Your best chance to get into the bigger blues is right there from the bank. The last 3 state records came from that general location and is easy access to plenty of 30# to 60#+. Shad would be the bait of choice, Fresher the better. On the Va side of the lower Potomac there is several places along the Washington Parkway to pull off and get into them. But Right now probably isn't a good time as the spawn is real close to starting.

Far as the locations I was talking about, They are on the upper Potomac around the Hagerstown, MD. area. No Blues for the most part, but plenty of channels, and a flathead once in a while which have just started to be caught in the last year or so.

On a Side note, if you happen to run into CPL Charles Woods, Tell him I said hey. He's one of the wounded warriors I've had the priviledge to take out and has become a good friend. Also CPT Jeremiah Catlin, he's the chaplain there who is getting healed up and ready to be stationed in Texas in the next month.

11. Cattitude

Cattitude New Member

State:
    Waynesboro Pa.
    I have young ones myself and on of my good buds has a fe all together we go out with 5 of them. The best and safest place I have found so far would be the area at Williamsport. Lots of open area and also a canal easy to get into and out of. I've never been where pip mentioned. When I was stationed at fort meade we fished the pond on base and I think the other place was in savage md. but I don't remeber the name of the stream. I didn't fish alot there and the times I did I'm lucky I remember anything being with a bunch of guys drinking. Lucky I survived some of those days.

12. Cattitude

Cattitude New Member

State:
    Waynesboro Pa.
    Any info on the spawn on the upper potomac. Trout I know about but as for catfish I have little to no knowledge on how the spawn or the feeding habits during spawning season.

13. Pip

Pip New Member

State:
    pa
    Far as the upper Potomac for the channels, your still good to go. It'll be a little bit for the channels yet, but they don't get lockjaw like the blues do. But seems like once the females kick those eggs out, they are ready for a couple trips to the buffet to fill their belly's. Then ""It's On""

14. Cattitude

Cattitude New Member

State:
    Waynesboro Pa.
    I'm going to head down somewhere here in a few hours and give it a shot might head to four locks or taylors landing and see how things go.

15. Cattitude

Cattitude New Member

State:
    Waynesboro Pa.
    We went down again last night fished from right before dusk till 1am. I started fishing for bait and caught 2 sunny then I hooked something and it snapped my line. We had a few strikes but nothing seemed to be ready to take it yet. Current was running a bit strong yet. I might head out here again in a few and give it another shot,

16. Jacksmooth

Jacksmooth Member

State:
    West Virginia
    Hopefully it was a cat that snapped your line but there are a few muskys in there too. I hooked a nice one last year fishing for bait.

17. Cattitude

Cattitude New Member

State:
    Waynesboro Pa.
    It's my fault I had my trout rod out and was using 4 pound test...but I was about 2 feet off shore so I figured just sunnies. It was a bit larger than a sunny.:smile2:

18. Cattitude

Cattitude New Member

State:
    Waynesboro Pa.
    Well we hit it again last night and threw everything in the world we could think of. Hit Williamsport again but walked down to the power plant and fished below the little dam. As for catfish only a few bullheads but I saw a guy walk out with two nice channels son I know we are getting close. Suffered threw the storm and rain and gave up about 430am. I got doc appointments in the morning and I am starting to feel a bit beat so I'm going to give it a rest for a few on the fishing. Last doc appointment the found out the my vitamin deficeny is pretty bad. My d3 is down to 4 when it should be at 50 explains why I'm so tired all the time. Hopefully I'll get some straight answers tomorrow from this new doc. On the bright side they told me I was not going to have to have another surgery, at least not right away. Good luck out there guys and keep posting about all your fun on the water.:cool2: