a crazy question (maybe) Is aluminum foil illegal on a hook?

Discussion in 'LOCAL SOUTH CAROLINA TALK' started by iceman, Jan 18, 2008.

1. iceman

iceman New Member

State:
    Walterboro S.C
    i was sitting around with too much time on my hands and thinking about this. i've heard people say its illegal to hook aluminium foil on a hook because the catfish can't resist it. i was just wondering that if this were to be true could you set up your drift rig with a willow leaf blade like they use for bass lures and give the rig more action? just a thought. anyone have a comment or sugestion on this?

GARY:cool2:

2. Rusty

Rusty Member

State:
    Spickard Missouri
    I believe most cats find their food by smell but a little extra flash couldn't hurt. shad flash, skip-jack flash. It might just help.

3. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I don't know about that. I've never heard that before:confused2:

4. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    Interesting. I've caught a few fiddlers throwing a spinner bait along the mudline bassfishing. Jus figured it was a fluke deal, maybe not. I do agree smell is prolly more important than sight however.

5. FLATHEAD STEVE

FLATHEAD STEVE New Member

State:
    DESMOINES IOWA
    I THINK IN SOME STATES IT IS....KINDA LIKE THE STYROFOAM USED AS BAIT INDICATORS. I WOULD CONTACT YOUR LOCAL DNR.

GOOD FISHING

6. tomflatcat

tomflatcat New Member

State:
    Hampstead, NC
    That's interesting. I never heard of that before.

7. Webfoot

Webfoot New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Never herd of that but it couldn't hurt. I agree you may want to check with DNR. Let us know if it works. :cool2:

8. Rusty

Rusty Member

State:
    Spickard Missouri
    Hey Steve thats one mean looking cat you got there.

9. RiverratSC

RiverratSC Active Member

State:
    Gaffney, SC
    Never heard of such a thing.

10. Big Dav

Big Dav New Member

State:
    Southwest
    I have never heard of the aluminum foil deal. I do know a lot of bass fisherman that say they catch the occasionally flathead on a spinner bait. :confused2::big_smile: I figure a Flathead thinks it is a small school of bait fish (like any other predator) and hits the lure. One of my family members is a semi professional (he pays the bills bass fishing) bass angler and he was one of the people that have told me this.

Thanks
    David

11. catfishcrazy256

catfishcrazy256 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    never heard of it but might be worth a try

12. krowbar

krowbar New Member

State:
    South Caro
    might have to try that. maybe put a small spoon or blade on the base of the hook or right above it

13. goingfishin

goingfishin New Member

State:
    Topeka, Ka
    I have tried reflective tape with no luck. I guess it would be the same as the blade. I put the reflective tape about 2 or 3 inches above my hook. I tried it at night in the midle of a lake so there was not much light to reflect off of though. I was going to give it a try during the day this spring.

14. droptine77

droptine77 New Member

State:
    Anderson, SC
    A guy who works with me once told me that is brother got into commercial catfishing and he used foil soaked in peanut oil on trot lines. Said it work very well. Just FYI.....................................................................I bet no one thought chicken livers would catch cats until someone tried it. I say give it a shot.

15. Shrimp Man

Shrimp Man New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I have heard of this being used on trot lines with some success, I have never tried it, However a roll of foil is cheaper than a dozen shad.:roll_eyes:

16. roundhill

roundhill New Member

State:
    kings mtn
    one thing i want to know how dose foil absorb anything and one outher thing i catch a few largemouths on herring fishing for blues every now an then makes good bate. moral of the story you can hear anything about fish bate an probly will catfish will and do eat anything they are eating machines

17. catfishscotty

catfishscotty Well-Known Member

State:
    mo
    below truman dam we used spoons with big treble hooks to snag carp basically home made lead spoon with a treble . it was fun as hell snaging them carp and buffalo by the truck loads. a guy i worked with painted his white and silver glitter and wasnt that uncommon to hook a few cats during the year. we used 10 to 15 foot surf rods with big reels loaded with 20 to 30 lb test for casting distance the spoons wieghed around 2-4 ounces.

18. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    I have personally caught channel cats on empty silver (stainless steel) hooks. Thought I had discovered the best secret in fishing. Thats when I started to run trotlines in two or three feet of water, stretched tight, with just the hooks. Against the law now, but it worked in my younger days. lOL

19. foothills

foothills New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    i may not be following this right but the way i understand this is that the foil is the bait...so if the catfish steals the "bait" and eats it will the foil cause the catfish to die because it can not digest it??...if this is the case i personally would not consider using foil for bait same as foam, sponges, etc.

20. Pirate Jerry

Pirate Jerry New Member

State:
    Yulee Florida
    You're right , that was a crazy question !!!