A couple small ones today - 5 pound flathead catfish

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by Slatebar, May 18, 2009.

1. Slatebar

Slatebar New Member

State:
    ohio
    This is my first post, I just found the site a couple days ago. Looks like some very good catters here. I hope this is the right place for me to make this post.
    I went to a small lake nearby and was only able to get 3 Bluegills this morning so I stopped at the bait and bought a couple dozen Shinners. I got on the river around noon and the first run on a Bluegill I missed, Second gill and I hit a Shovlehead about 5-6 lbs. While taking him off I noticed he had part of 2 shad in his throat. I pulled one of them out and even tho it was partially digested I hooked it on the other pole that I had baited with Shinners. Almost immedently got a Channel Cat of about 2-3 lbs. Baited back up with the last gill and got another Shovle head measured off right at about 29 inches. Fished for a couple more hours and got a couple small runs with shinners but no more landed. Water temp 65 deg. Gusty wind out of north. I have tried to post a couple pictures , I hope it is successful. Thanks
    John

Attached Files:

2. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    John
    Welcome To The BOC. Congrats on the nice catch. That flathead in the middle of that pic make this the right place. What did them fish weigh in at??

3. Slatebar

Slatebar New Member

State:
    ohio
    Ken, I didn't weight them just guestimated it to be around 5 lb. The larger gray one is also a shovlehead, I haven't caught many that color.
    BTW, did you use to live in Mingo County Wv?

4. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    I never noticed the bigger gray one being a flathead , thought it was a blue or big channel. No I've lived here in Ky. all my adult life.

5. jagdoctor1

jagdoctor1 New Member

State:
    CA/AZ
    yeah that one on top is trying to pretend he is a channel in hopes of being thrown back. Nice fish. You had a good day.

6. Marshall

Marshall New Member

State:
    Junction City,
    Welcome to the BOC. The Best Cat site on the net.

7. Snagged2

Snagged2 New Member

State:
    Verde Valley AZ
    I've seen some of the Flatheads in that greyish color out of lakes,,,

8. Hoopie

Hoopie New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Nice picture and welcome to the club!

9. luckey wade

luckey wade New Member

State:
    ohio
    Welcome,And good job.And Thanks for the report.

10. USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT

USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT New Member

John WELCOME TO THE BOC.Looks like a decent days fishing.Congrats and thanks for sharing the pictures.:big_smile:

11. FishMan

FishMan New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Ha thats a good day. Happy fishing

12. iluvnevaeh

iluvnevaeh New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    Really nice fish borhter!! Welcome to the BOC and thanks for sharing the story and the info!! Good luck on the coming months, keep us updated on the Bigger ones youre catching too!! :cool2: