A couple ?'s on flatties

Discussion in 'LOCAL OHIO TALK' started by KatfishKyle, May 27, 2008.

1. KatfishKyle

KatfishKyle New Member

State:
    Wayne Co. Ohio
    Well, I am no stranger to catfishin...but I am to flathead fishin. Just wonderin some tips on what rig, line set up, weather/water conditions, time of day/night, preffered bait...etc...just some tips on what I need and where too look for the "big ones" (30-60lbs) any input would be greatly appriciated. I have the vehicle to travel now and im ready to hit it. I grew up channel cattin', but now im ready for the big fella's....:big_smile:...Thanks, KatfishKyle

2. rob128146

rob128146 New Member

State:
    Rockwell, North Carolina
    Set up I use a 2-3 oz weight and then tie a barrel swivel on then a 12-16 inch steel leader. I fish only live Bluegills for flatties. My opinion is they bite better at night, but I have still caught a lot during the day. Weather to me make no difference but right now they are running good here!! I hoped this answered your question but other great info is coming when a few flattie fisherman reads this. i love them big ole blues!!

3. Vukhufu

Vukhufu New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I am also new to flatheads. I have hooked loads of channels and even a few blues in my time but flatheads are new to me. So far this year I have caught 2, my very first 2, 4.5# and a 7.5# from the scioto river.. both were taken on 3" goldfish. weird thing is i can set a goldfish in the river and it will stay alive for ... well until I'm done fishing. Both flats I got this year came off crushed head goldfish.

An old salt told me to stomp on their heads. He said big cats are lazy and dont really like to chase bait, they prefer an easy meal. So far his advice has worked for me, even at ross lake in chillicothe, I only catch catfish after I crush the bait head flat.

Obviously I'm no expert but this old timers wisdom has so far proved correct. I generally leave a live bait in the water for 2 hours TOPS .. if nothing...i crush its head and give it another hour. All the fish I have caught this year were on fresh crushed head whole goldfish.

Another thing is I have read that flatheads are mainly nocturnal feeders, meaning they hunt and eat at night. Well both of mine came in daylight, 1pm and 6pm. So go figure?

I'm about to ditch the hassle of live bait entirely if it doesnt produce soon.

Oh...The heavier the tackle the better I say.. be prepared not busted! Catfish are not tackle shy so go heavy and be prepared for the big one.. that is after all .. what you're after right? Be prepared not busted!

Fish the bottom in any weather you can be out in with a big enough slip sinker to keep your bait on the bottom.

As for bait I would look into ordering live jumbo crawfish from LA. yeah the big 8 inchers they boil and eat down there... I havnt tried this but it would just have to work wouldnt it?

4. neocats

neocats New Member

State:
    Steubenvil
    Kyle,

Where are you planning on fishing?

5. hunted

hunted New Member

State:
    washington court house,oh
    yeah,kinda depends if your gonna river fish or in a lake.you can count on them hugging up to some wood piles in either.i usually fish lakes,i look for drop offs and wood piles mainly.you can fish a bottom rig with a slip sinker,and you can usually use a slip bobber rig,which i do that quite often.haven't done much river fishing,there will be someone giving you that info very shortly though,lol

6. KatfishKyle

KatfishKyle New Member

State:
    Wayne Co. Ohio
    For flathead fishing we will be hittin up the Muskingum river, Wills Creek, and lakes like Salt Fork, Clendenning, Piedmont, and Tappin.

7. neocats

neocats New Member

State:
    Steubenvil
    send a PM to bluesport77. Chad fishes Tappan a lot and I'm sure he wouldn't mind yu joining him sometime.

8. cheezemm2

cheezemm2 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I have a completely different style (because I'm kayak based, but the principles are the same) than most of these guys for flatties, but I do catch them consistently in the Ohio. The most basic breakdown that's worked for me:

1) Shad or skipjack, dead or alive, if dead preferably fresh and not frozen. Find some whitebass or gills as alternatives to the above if bait is hard to come by
    2) If from shore, plan on using some heavier weights to keep the bait in place. I can get away with 1-2oz on the Ohio out of the yak when the river isn't ripping, but shore fishing can require up to 6oz. I use the standard slip sinker rig.
    3) If using cut bait, you'll find it depends on the "mood" of fish whether they want the chunks of the body or the head (just have to find out what is producing, and my larger fish usually come on the head)
    4) Breaks in the current, ambush points, logjams, humps...flatheads like cover just like every other fish
    5) I generally fish with 15# line and a 1/0 hooks, most people use that as a channel setup, but I can't go much heavier on the line because it becomes increasingly difficult to break from the kayak easily...heavier is better here (I have landed in the low 30's with this setup and am confident in landing bigger fish, but I still agree bigger is better)

That's about as brief as I can be....man do I love catching those things:smile2:

9. KatfishKyle

KatfishKyle New Member

State:
    Wayne Co. Ohio
    Thanks everyone for the tips! I do belive this weekend I will be heading to Charles Mills if the weather isnt too bad. Try my luck at the dam, If anyone is interested PM me.

10. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    My best time to fish for flatheads is noon till 5pm on brite sunny days.

Best bait is fresh cut shad, I cant get them to touch live bait.

11. BigCatJakeSr

BigCatJakeSr New Member

State:
    Bellville, OH10
    Jr. and I may be down there this weekend but not sure when. The dam will be flowing I believe to fast since these heavy rains but may subside somewhat as the weekend nears. Let us know when you are going we may see ya. There has been a ton a little channels attempting to eat flathead bait. Caught a channel about three inches bigger than the bait I was using (Chub). My son caugh a 5 or 6lb flattie on a nightcrawler and bragged the whole night about it. Goodluck and Goodfishin, Brother!!

12. KatfishKyle

KatfishKyle New Member

State:
    Wayne Co. Ohio
    Sr. I dont belive I will be there this weekend, im planning on Clendening or Salt Fork. But I do frequent Charles Mills quite a bit. Ill let you know next time ill be heading that way and maybe we can try our luck. KFK