A Couple Questions

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by iowacatter, May 21, 2006.

1. iowacatter

iowacatter New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I have a 92'-93' Evinrude 30 hp Elec. start. I am looking for a good high quality 2 stroke oil, which isn't impossible to find. Also, would you recommend running a couple ounces of Seafoam in every 6 gal tank? If not how often would you use this additive. I have heard a lot of opinions locally, but they have all varied from never, to every tank, and everything in between. Thanks in advance for your advice! Just one more reason that BOC is the best outdoor site in the web!! Stan

2. Catgirl

Catgirl New Member

Don't know anything about Seafoam. Several people I know own outboards and have regularly taken them to mechanics (at least once a year). They swear by Pennzoil Plus. It's cleaner and shows less signs of wear to critical parts. Very happy with it.

3. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    The super tech off the shelf at wal-mart does a good job. It has been tested and exceeded most shelf mid priced range oils. I use it myself and no complaints.
    As for sea foam I use it in my tank every time I add fuel. It helps keep the coking down and is also a stablizer and is oil based so it won't hurt that 2 stroke to run it all the time.

4. iowacatter

iowacatter New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Catgirl and Bubbacat, Thanks for your replys. I just want to take good care of this motor so that it is troublefree. It seems like nothing can ruin a good fishing trip, like a troublesome motor. Thanks Again. Stan

5. jdstraka

jdstraka Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Council Bluffs, Iowa
    Name:
    John
    Thank you Willard!!! I was wondering about Seafome. I used it once but I diden't Know how often. Bigcatman0816.

6. Pogo

Pogo New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    I'm sure you will find varying opinions (particularly here :) ), but I started off not believeing in additives of any sort and now use Seafoam religiously.

The ratio for keeping your engine clean and your fuel fresh is 1 oz per gallon of fuel.

You can add more (up to 2 Oz/Gal) if your engine needs cleaned, but a better solution for that is Seafoam's Deep Creep. Works really well. (Just don't have the exhaust pointed at the fresh laundry on the clothes line when you do it).

I like Pennzoil also, but have a short list of oils I like .. Amsoil among them.

7. RiverKing

RiverKing New Member

State:
    Yellow Spr
    where can sea foam be purchased

8. lawnman61

lawnman61 New Member

State:
    Fort Worth, Tex
    As far as the type of oil to use, I always used Evinrude 2 stroke oil in my Evinrude motor, you can't go wrong with the same name brand as your engine.
    As far as the seafoam, I've never used it, I've heard good and bad from it so I just stayed away from it and I've never had any trouble with my engine that I couldn't fix easily. Just keep it tuned up and it wouldn't hurt to run a little Marvel Mystery oil in the mix too.

9. iowacatter

iowacatter New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Matt, I get Seafoam at an auto parts store, Napa or Oreilly's. Hope that helps you. Stan

10. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill

Al I also keep a good supply of Marvel mystery oil in my shop to but have found that sea foam burns cleaner with less residual and takes less time for it to act.
    I keep a good supply of it on hand. Have never in the last 10 years had any ill effects from it.

11. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    People have a tendancy to blame the last thing done on the latest problem.

Adding a quality fuel stabilizer doesn't cause problems, it prevents them.