Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
2,137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey yall i had a couple questions... first, we are shooting a morell's broadhead target. i shoot field points as well as broadheads on this target. on the target it says ' for broadhead use only'. is there any downside to using field points on this target, other than hey are kind of hard to remove?
second, do broadheads have to be assembled to sharpen them? when they are assembled, i can'tget the first half inch of the blade sharpened. i have been told if i sharpen them while disassembled, it can negatively affect arrowflight. any truth to this? i have a diamond stone i sharpen my knives on, and i know i can get the blades good and sharp but don't want to affect the arrow's flight.
thanks for any help.

· Registered
2,137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i shoot the muzzy 3 blade broadheads.

· Registered
3,130 Posts
To answer your question on shooting field points into a broadhead only target is> sure you can, but the recommendation is to use a bag target for field points for ease of removal. Check out the Morrell target website for a more indepth answer for the question. Now on sharpening broadheads. I'm not familiar with Muzzy broadheads that much. If they say they can be resharpened, by all means do so with using a diamond stone or a quality broadhead sharpener. Majority or the broadheads I've used over the years require the blades to be replaced when dull. Correct. Some blades are very thin and altering the thickness when sharpening can alter the flight performance and worse yet, the blades strength. Best to replace the blades alltogether. My NAP Hellrazors can be reshapened. Great broadheads!!

Hope some more info comes through on this!!

· Registered
943 Posts
I shot Muzzy 100 gr. 4 blade for way over a decade until last year and I resharpened them all by hand. The 3 blade design is a little tougher to sharpen as there isnt as much to get ahold of. BIL shot the 3 blades and I resharpened his. Common sense comes into play of course and if they look like they getting short on metal replace them. Could always get a scale to weigh them too? I took mine apart and also sometimes resharpened the Trocar tip where it got gouged or rolled. I still have my Muzzy box but I went looking for a new head after having some personal differences of opinion with some of Muzzy's "professional staff". I now shoot 100 gr Viper Venoms, awesome head and bloodtrails. Same company makes Crimson Talon. Always be a soft spot in my heart for Muzzy heads. Ive seen over 200 whitetails that fell to them in friends and family's bows and they never failed us as long as we did our part. No telling how much small game, turkeys etc we took with them. If you got money to burn or dont care for hands on then buying replaceable blades may be your best bet. I love sharpening stuff though so we never did buy the replaceable blades unless we were short on blades(they do get bent on rocks, bone etc). Another tip if someone hasnt tried the 4 blade Muzzy I suggest you do. It locks up tight as a vault and even shooting 48lbs the penetration and damage is good.

· Registered
2,137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks a ton for all the replies yall. i think i will try sharpening them on the stone first, but if all else fails i can get replacement blades at academy for pretty cheap. i haven't had any problems with the trocar tips yet, other than they rust after you put them through an animal. nothing a light coat of silicone won't fix. last year i shot a goat and the arrow went through it then hit a boulder with no damage. we hunt in a lot of rocky country and i have seen my buddies' broahdead tips bend time after time. i started out with the 4 blade heads and i can remember doubting themalittle, till i shot a deer. the damage was unbelievable. thanks again for all the help.

· Banned
5,095 Posts
thanks a ton for all the replies yall. i think i will try sharpening them on the stone first, but if all else fails i can get replacement blades at academy for pretty cheap. i haven't had any problems with the trocar tips yet, other than they rust after you put them through an animal. nothing a light coat of silicone won't fix. last year i shot a goat and the arrow went through it then hit a boulder with no damage. we hunt in a lot of rocky country and i have seen my buddies' broahdead tips bend time after time. i started out with the 4 blade heads and i can remember doubting themalittle, till i shot a deer. the damage was unbelievable. thanks again for all the help.
Muzzys are great. If you are going to stone sharpen them then I guess just stay as close to the factory bevel as you can.

· Registered
19 Posts
I shoot muzzy 3 blades i have just always sharpened mine assembled and have never had any trouble with penetrating any animal. As for the target you would really be money ahead to buy a block i have had mine about 3 years and shot several hundred times with field points and broadheads and all are really easy to remove and target holds together tremendously well.

· Registered
1,078 Posts
I shoot the 3 blade Muzzys and use a hand sharpener that reminds me of "brass knuckles", I usually spend about 10 minuts per blade starting from the trocar tip and running it back the blade. They get sharp fast and can cut hair off your arm. That's when I know they are done. Click below to see what I use. I have never replaced the blades yet after 5 years with these blades and numerous kills.

Smith's Broadhead Sharpener

· Registered
2,534 Posts
If you like muzzy's here's a broadhead you will love! They are easy as pie to sharpen, one piece steel construction. To sharpen them just lay them flat on a diamond or ceramic stone, and push. The angles are always true. Penetration is incredible, even when compared to a muzzy. Check them out I know you'll love them. I'll never buy a muzzy again.
G5 Outdoors - Designed To Hunt

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.