a couple questions...a lot of praise...

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by greengoblin, May 16, 2008.

1. greengoblin

greengoblin New Member

State:
    Iowa
    First of all, i would like to thank everyone here, so much to learn...I lurked here for a couple of days before I decided to register. I cant believe I even waited that long. You guys are awesome. I just started catfishing this spring and I love it. I didnt get much other than about 1/2 lb channels before i joined, tonite I had one snap 10lb test because i was impatient, but i still loved it. Did I tell you guys that you are awesome?

First of all, a couple questions about circle hooks. Tonite fishing I was using a standard j hook offset, of course, everytime I set the rod down, a fish would bite before I could pick it up. Put on a circle hook and let it do its magic. Got a nice one, for me anyway. Heres the questions, how do these work, just out of curiousity. Is there a technique in removing them? The one i hooked was hooked about halfway between the mouth and gills. For the life of me I couldnt get it out. Didnt hook all the way though either so I could figure out exactly what direction I needed to pull to get it out.

Next question is about using bluegill. Once again, I need to give you all praise for saying that this is a great bait. I was using catfish charlies dough baits and caught quite a few in the 1/2 lb 1 lb range but wanted more. Tonite, I went and caught 6 blue gill and used one a cut bait. Awesome! Anyway, do you find that bluegill work better as cut bait or live. I assumed cut bait worked better. I cut it into about 1 inch pieces, starting behing the gills. I used the middle two sections with the guts first and caught fish. Tried the head and tail and nothing....Is this common? Are the guts the only good parts?

Thats all I got for now.

2. greengoblin

greengoblin New Member

State:
    Iowa
    heres one i caught tonite, how big you think it is....3 or 4 lbs?

Attached Files:

3. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    Glad ya got the fever. I'm not a flathead chaser but them boys swear by live gills. I'll cut em up into decent size chunks and put em on anything from an 8/0 to a 10/0 kahle hook. Don't be affraid to use what bait ya catch in the waters ya fish that is legal. You will be amazed at what they will try and eat regardless of the size of it.:wink: As far as removein a circle hook its kinda like unscrewin it. back it out the same way it went in. Its hard to explain but you will get the hang of it. Ya are gonna donate some skin and a bit of blood but its well worth it. Best of luck to ya.

4. yeppa

yeppa New Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas
    Good fish Doug. I'm just learning about cut bait myself, but there is GOBS of info about them on here!

5. greengoblin

greengoblin New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Thanks mark and george, how big of fish you suppose that is?

6. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY

Who cares. LOL! Its a caught fish and you caught it. LOL! Did ya enjoy yourself doin it. Now keep swingin the bat and see if ya can out do that one. Keep it fun and don't get all hung up on numbers. They will come with the ffort on your part.:cool2:

7. greengoblin

greengoblin New Member

State:
    Iowa
    LOL, is that a nice way of say "not as big as you think" Lol, dont worry, i wont stop fishing anytime soon. :big_smile:

8. Mike81

Mike81 Well-Known Member

State:
    Alabama
    Welcome Doug, glad you decided to join the club. I use mostly circle hooks and sometimes kahles. Circles can sometimes be hard to get out but that's a good thing when your fightin a hoss. I usually just try to rotate them back out in a circular motion, if you hold your tounge out of the side of your mouth it seems to help a little...:smile2:

As far as the gills for bait it depends what size and species your after, if your targeting channels and blues, I use most cut gills or cut shad. If flatheads are the game, which is mostly what I am after in the summer it live gills all the way, sometimes I hook them in the mouth an out the gill plate and sometimes behind the dorsal fin...both work well.... they can't resist em...:big_smile: Good Luck

9. greengoblin

greengoblin New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Another question, like I said before, everytime i set the rod down it seemed to get a bite. Can these fish sense our vibrations in even the most calm hands?

10. Mike81

Mike81 Well-Known Member

State:
    Alabama
    I really don't think so but who knows?, if your in any current the bait is gonna be moving around some either way. Maybe when the rods in the holder it's just more still and the lines a little tighter??

11. greengoblin

greengoblin New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Mike, it seems you have used bluegills before. I am hunting channels...tonite it was cut bait, didnt get anything on the tails or head sections...is this normal?

12. Mike81

Mike81 Well-Known Member

State:
    Alabama
    I heard alot of guys catchin em on the heads, I've caught a few. If using cut I prefer the center/gut section best and will use the heads too but I usually cut the tails off and pitch em. JMO

13. greengoblin

greengoblin New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Yeah, I am full of questions...some of them are probably dumb questions, but you dont know if you dont ask, thanks mike, thanks you too george

14. Mike81

Mike81 Well-Known Member

State:
    Alabama
    There aren't any dumb questions, we all learn from eachother here. This isn't like any other web forum, where they beat you up and say "SEARCH STUPID". While the library and posts have alot you can find you'll never be chastised or made to feel dumb for asking a question. Everyone here is really helpful and friendly.

15. catman4926

catman4926 New Member

State:
    Texas
    DOUG,

WELCOME TO THE BOC FROM SO. ALABAMA

CUT BAIT IS THE WAY TO GO , REMEMBER THE BIGGER THE BAIT THE BIGGER THE FISH, THE HEADS ARE GOOD FOR BLUES ,AND IF I USE THE TAIL I USE IT WITH 1/2 THE GILL ,AND AS FOR AS REMOVING THE CIRCLI HOOK , JUST REMOVE IT IN A CIRCLE, HOPE THIS HELPS:big_smile::big_smile:

16. jdstraka

jdstraka Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Council Bluffs, Iowa
    Name:
    John
    A Big Ol Welcome to the BOC Doug.Proud to have another Iowa Brother Join Us.Gils work Great along with Skipjack and Shad,Skippies are sorta hard to come by in this part of the woods thoughso I use alot of shad.now with that said in order to catch shad you will need to invest in a cast net and learn how to throw it which isen't hard to learn there is alot of information on pitchin cast nets in the library.I have had good sucess with blue gill heads when drifting for channel cat,I just hook them through the eyes and let them bounce along the bottom of the lake useing only a 1# splitshot to keep it on the bottom. Again Welcome. J.D.:wink:

17. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    Welcome to the BOC!

Removing circle hooks: If you see the point, see if you can get the proper direction by pushing it further rather than trying to remove. Once you have the correct angle roll it right back out. Basicall you are going to grab the eye, either by hand or by needle nose pliers (careful you don't damage your line) and roll the eye right back to where you saw the point break the skin. It can hang up at the barb (DOH! it's supposed to) but just kinda pops loose (sometimes you have to use the weight of the fish against it).

Cut bait: Big fish eat little fish. Gills, carp, drum, crappie, bass, shad, any local legal native species can make good cut bait. A small gill makes 1-2 pieces of bait. I scale it and cut slices in it to get the blood running if I use it whole, or use the head as 1 bait, and the body, not including tail as another.
    A good size gill will normally yield me 4-5 pieces. I skin and filet, leaving me 2 filets, a head, and a bloody skeleton which I use in 2 pieces.

a 4-5lb carp can be bait for a day.

You said something about 1 inch squares. Try 3 inch squares, try a whole fish.

For 30 years I was a "pro" chicken liver channel catter and found every squealer in Ohio.

Trust when you hear unbelievable things here (about catching fish), that they are true. I now rarely catch a cat under 4 lbs, with an average of closer to 7-8. When you graduate to flats or blues.... well look at some of the avatars on these guys.

Welcome.

18. greengoblin

greengoblin New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Thanks for all the welcomes and advice. I was really starting to wonder about cutbait, thinking that it didnt work, before I found this place. I had been trying everything that Rusty's had to offer and didnt even get a nibble. The chicken liver, whole shad, cut shad, shiners, anise shiners. Is this the general concensus about Rustys?

19. CATFISHERMAN001

CATFISHERMAN001 New Member

State:
    ALABAMA
    Doug, welcome to the BOC.

Using cut baits will bring you good luck on catching channels, Blues and even the occasional Flathead. My suggestion would be get used to presenting a single bait until you get to where you reconize the kind of strike you are getting from what kind of cat because in my experience they strike differently. I use whole bream live and fileted but it really depends on what cat I am after and how I am going to present it. For example, if I am drift fishing I use a fileted bream. I will filet it from the tail to the head then hook it through the eyes and then the lay the filet over to hook the tail end of the filet. If I am Flathead fishing I use a live bream and hook it at the head below the dorsal fin like a minnow. Fishing for channels I will use 2 to 3 in cut bream and float it of the bottom anywhere from 2ft to 6ft. I use floats on all my rigs though, I think it helps give better representation of the bait. I hope this helps some. I know there is a ton of info here and everyone is willing to share their trade that has made them successful.

20. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    i have found that smaller flatties will be right in there feeding with channel cats, or maybe the channels are feeding around the flatties. either way i haven't caught big flatheads at the same time i have caught channels, at least not in any numbers. cut bream is an awesome bait, so is live bream. try using 2-3 inch live perch on your rig instead of cut, and watch the size of your catch increase. you won't catch as many, but big fish fight hard! good job getting on em, and keep it up! welcome to the boc as well.