a couple out of the olantangy

Discussion in 'OHIO RIVERS TALK' started by catmandoo22, Sep 22, 2009.

1. catmandoo22

catmandoo22 New Member

State:
    ohio
    not sure how to put pics on these posts yet....hopefully this works.anyhow it was a good night on the olentangy tonite....lotta runs but only came up with 3 cats......the two in the pic were the biggest(if i did it right)...not huge but fun and it will feed us for a couple days. action is def. startin back up again

Attached Files:

2. catmandoo22

catmandoo22 New Member

State:
    ohio
    correction: OLENTANGY

3. smoothkip25

smoothkip25 New Member

State:
    ohio
    Congrats on the nice fish!

4. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Nice fish, do you eat fish out of that river??? You are a brave man:wink:

5. catmandoo22

catmandoo22 New Member

State:
    ohio
    my stretch of the river is fairly clean and im a hungry guy so.....ill eat em on occasion...not on a regular basis though. ill let yall know if i get sick or sprout another appendage:crazy:

6. slimdaddy

slimdaddy Well-Known Member

State:
    Nelsonville, Oh
    Name:
    Keith
  7. Garrett Cope

Garrett Cope New Member

State:
    Columbus Ohio
    Nice fish man. You fishing it north of Columbus or right in the city?

8. rockbass

rockbass New Member

State:
    Ohio
  9. Colsrob

Colsrob Active Member

State:
    Ohio, Columbus
    Someone correct me if i'm wrong.

Being that we know for a fact that there are Flats above and below Greenlawn, and also in Griggs, is not not safe to assume that they should also be in the Tangy? Plus, if i'm not mistaken, I believe I have read about those who have caught them in Deleware Lake.

10. BassMassey

BassMassey Well-Known Member

State:
    Oconee
    nice fish, I've never heard of a report from the olentangy on here. Ever catch a flathead out of there?

11. smokey869

smokey869 New Member

State:
    frederickt
    congrats on the nice channels, sounds like a good night

12. catmandoo22

catmandoo22 New Member

State:
    ohio
    thanks for the props guys.....iv heard of flatties being in delaware lake but never hooked up with any yet(been fishin the area for 5 years)....two weeks ago i decided to go to the mouth of the tangy where it lets out into delaware lake. had some live gills and was using them for cut-bait. i decided to throw a live one on just for the heck of it....it sat with no movement for about an hour then the rod started headin twards the water and didnt stop....grabbed it and nothinwas there....im assuming it was a flattie since it was taking a 6in gill.....i fish north of columbus in delaware lake and the part of the tangy is in waldo......

13. Shad Man

Shad Man New Member

State:
    Tyler, TX
    Yes there are flatheads in the Olentangy. When I went to OSU a few years back I worked on the river. I caught YOY (Young of Year) flatheads in the pool above 5th Ave dam right on campus. I remember getting one right below the Dodridge St. bridge. I also shocked and caught some nice channels all through campus.

14. Colsrob

Colsrob Active Member

State:
    Ohio, Columbus
    Well isn't that interesting.:big_smile:

I guess i'm going to have to see what I can uncover on the Tangy. It would be outstanding to be able to catch some decent Flats this close to home. I always use the theory: If there are small ones, there must be big ones somewhere.:wink:

15. Garrett Cope

Garrett Cope New Member

State:
    Columbus Ohio
    Yeah there are definitely Flatheads in the Olentangy as Justin said. I've heard about a few 20's and some in the teens as well caught this summer north of OSU.

16. Colsrob

Colsrob Active Member

State:
    Ohio, Columbus
    You just mention this NOW Garrett?:wink:

I've been recently shocked to find out that they are actually fairly close and can be found on the Scioto, and to find out the Tangy has them is making me twitch.:big_smile:

17. Garrett Cope

Garrett Cope New Member

State:
    Columbus Ohio
    There are times when it pays not to advertise:wink:

18. smoothkip25

smoothkip25 New Member

State:
    ohio
    Not saying it wasnt a flathead but ya cant assume due to a run. Ive caught channel cats on gills and baits up to 9inches. If there hungry they will try to eat about anything!

19. RiverKing

RiverKing Active Member

State:
    Yellow Spr
    LOL..I was fishing the ohio last week and had about an 8 inch live shad on, and my pole slammed to the water,I thought for sure it was a flat. It was a freaking channel and he weighed about 6 lbs!! LOL...He was hungry