A couple of tips for you

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by laidbck111, Nov 4, 2006.

1. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

I recently had "tree rats" getting into a couple of the bird feeders that were up on poles. So I put some vasiline on the pole about two feet from the bottom up to about 6 foot high. It was funny as all get out watching those "tree rats" try and climb that pole and slipping and sliding right off. I just haver to wait and see how they get around that, I know it won't take long.

I also had ants get into the "points" on my old well I use for the shed out came they vasiline agian it worked on that also. The ants got stuck in it while it was warm and plyable not to sure how it will do when it freezes though. I did put down some ant killer inside the pump house so maybe they will die off.

2. primitive

primitive Member

State:
    Dav. Ia.
    I used Crisco on the feeder poles once, but when it got cold it seemed to give them a better grip and up they went.

3. Pastor E

Pastor E New Member

State:
    Beebe AR
    It don`t take those rascals to figure things out saw one walk on a light line once to cross a very busy street:cool2:

4. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky
    my pappaw use to put pvc bout 4" pipe 4' tall over the post its hard at best to get any traction on it then once in awhile spray it with wd-40 . but he did also mount a board on the trees nearby to stick an ear of corn on for the squerrils cause liked watching them too .

as far as ants go use lime dust it burns them and they tend to stay away

5. safetybass

safetybass New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I just my fishing buddy (in Avatar) take care of those problems. Wife gets mad 'cause they try to eat all the bird/deer food. All I have to do is say "squirrel" quietly and my fishing buddy will sneak to the back door to be let out. Pretty funny to watch her sneak; walks with her head down low, trying not to let her toe nails make any noise. As soon as I get the door open far enough for her to get through, she bolts directly for the bird feeders in the garden. The squirrels beat feet for the nearest trees.

6. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

Well the "tree rats" got to the bird feeders so its back to the drawing board. I am thinking putting a collar on the pole. So my new plan is taking a piece of plexiglass that was left over from another project. Splitting in half cutting a hole big enough to fit over the pole and then mounting it onto the pole about 4 foot off the ground. The plexi is about 3'X3'. Any chance this might slow them down?

7. TA2D

TA2D New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    You could figure out a way to mount some electric fence on the pole, that would be a "shocking" experience for the tree rats

Aaron

TA2D

8. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

I have a "hot box" for an electric fence but the wife is scared the pups would get a shocking surprise when they relieved themselves. I told her it would only happen once and would not harm them permenantly but her eye's watered up and that was it she won.

9. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky
    the biggest problem is squerrils are excellent jumpers , if you truelly wish to get rid or them get an air rifle and take them out .

10. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Im with you Charles pop em and put em up