A Circle Hook Tutorial

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by H2O Mellon, Jul 3, 2006.

1. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    There are alot of people that fish circle hooks the wrong way. It took me a while to get the concept down, but I rarely miss a fish now. (Hold all smart alleck comments! :big_smile: ) The most common mistake that I see or hear people doing is "Setting The Hook". When using Circle Hooks you DO NOT set the hook. You will loose a fish 99% of the time if you "Set The Hook". You just pick up on the rod & the fish hooks it's self. The second most common error is not waiting until the rod "Loads Up". This is the point where the fish is "on" & there is no doubt about it. The "Load Up" point differs on just about all rods due to the action and materials used in each rod. I have included some pics of a few rods & their "Load Up" points. The rods I used were a GATOR CUSTOM FLATHEAD ROD, a FENWICK WATER EAGLE (FLATHEAD), a QUANTUM BIG CAT (FLATHEAD) & a PINNACLE POWER TIP (CHANNEL). You will notice why the Big Cat may not be a great circle hook rod, due to the heavier action adn the less of a "load up" point. A rod doesnt have to give up the extra power just to have a more sensative tip, take a look at the Gator Rod. I would not worry about fisghting a 40#+ Flathead on this rod & it has a very sensative tip.

I have also included some pics of basic circle hooks.

I also think finding a good rod holder is crucial in using circle hooks. When in a boat, finding a good rod holder is much easier than finding a good bank rod holder. I have pics of the rod holders that I use in my boat as well as the rod holders I use while bank fishing.

I am no means a pro & there are others that know MUCH more about circle hook fishing that I do, but I just wanted to make this short tutorial in hopes that it may help some of you.

Remember, be patient, let that rod "Load Up" then grab it from the rod holder & hang on. If you do everything correct, the hook will be perfectly set in the corner of the cat's mouth.

Good Luck To You All.

2. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Pic #1: Gator Rod "Loading Up"

Pic #2: Fenwick Water Eagle "Loading Up"

Pic #3: Quantum Big Cat "Loading Up"

3. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Pic #1: Pinnacle Power Tip "Loading Up"

Pic #2: Boat Rod Holders

Pic #3: Bank Rod Holders

4. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Good post, Circles rock!

5. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Pic #1: Misc Circle Hooks (These are Gama & King Kats)

6. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

good post mellon.

7. RIP

RIP New Member

State:
    Somerville, Tennessee
    Good thread, but I don't use them either. But for the people that do it's solid info.

8. Itch2Scratch

Itch2Scratch New Member

State:
    Ivy Bend on LOZ, Missouri
    Very interesting post Bryan, Thanks.:big_smile: Rep for sharing this with everyone. Is that Gator the 7' Flathead Special?

9. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    It is a Gator 7 footr, but I dont know which one! :lol:

10. IL Hunter

IL Hunter New Member

State:
    Normal, IL
    Great Post. Setting the hook will pull the bait right out of the mouth with a circle!

11. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Well I tell you what, if you find time to come up here we'll hit thr river & maybe I'll be able to show you how to do it. Although our fishing has sucked for a while. :angry:

12. Abu65

Abu65 Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I really liked this post & seeing the pictures of the rods. I feel that the type of rods we use is why some really like circles & some dont. I tend to use to heavy of a rod & beleive thats why circles have failed me alot. I am only going to use my x heavy rods when the current is fast and I have to sling alot of weight. I even think that it will help to use a softer tipped rod with any style hook, because the fish will not be able to feel the rod as fast...Abu65

13. SeedTick

SeedTick New Member

State:
    Conway Arkansas
    Hey Melon, I don't mean to cause any problems man but I don't think you're really getting any bites. It looks to me like a youngin is just playing tricks on ya. Hope this helps.

ST

14. kccats

kccats New Member

State:
    Olathe, Kansas
    Got to spread a little rep around before I hit you again but great post!

15. slimepig

slimepig New Member

State:
    Kerrville Texas
    great info. though i prefer kahle to circles.
    i depend on my reel's clicker to let me know if its somethin worth gettin outta my chair for. a couple little clicks gets my attention. usually if its a cat then the clicker starts singin real good and continues. if its just a gar usually it'll sing and then quit. you gotta watch however, sometimes, especially an ol yeller will bring the bait towards you; you never hear the clicker but ya got lots of slack in the line.
    its kinda like my favorite part o the jaws movie. quinn is sittin in his fightin chair when his reel starts to slowly click and then really takes off n starts to sing.

16. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    :0a31: :001: Thanks mellon that is a great post. would like to give you REPS but no can do . said I have to spread it around to others before I can give to you again.Lots of good info in your post.they work good for me since my ol body won't move as fast as it used to. Reflexes a lot slower. :roll_eyes:

17. uptoolate

uptoolate New Member

State:
    Canyon Lake, Texas
    Man. I've had some circle hooks in my tackle box for a long time. Never use 'em. How long do you have to wait before you start reelin' or when do you know it's hooked?

18. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    When the rod "loads up" pick it up out of the holder lean back & you got it.

19. dcaruthers

dcaruthers New Member

State:
    Alabama
    Great post melon. I have only been using the circles for a few months now, but I love them. I like the fact that they tend to hook the corners of the mouth and they seem to hold better than kahles. I am having to use my pliers to get most of them out.

20. copycat

copycat New Member

State:
    New Jersey
    I use the 8/0 Gama circles. I find what works for me is to keep the reel in gear and let the rod load up in the holder, then just reel it in. But there are other techniques to circles.

Mellon Great thread!:smile2: