A challenge

Discussion in 'KENTUCKY RIVERS TALK' started by river1214rat, Nov 2, 2007.

1. river1214rat

river1214rat New Member

State:
    West Point, KY
    I have lived on the Ohio for 4 years, she rises and then she recedes. It sickens me everytime the water goes down to witness all of the trash and junk that is left behind. Tires, lots of tires, freezers, water heaters are big this time, plastic. Plastic is everywhere! Plastic water bottles, soda bottles, plastic buckets, and worm containers litter the shore line. Basketballs. There are enough basketballs when the water goes up to equip every team in Jefferson and Hardin County.
    I am only one person. Planning to write a letter to the Courier Journal, then copy that letter to the Hardin and Meade Co news papers. When the local kids want to fish on the beach, I tell them to pick up their trash plus whatever other trash that has been left by others. I challenge you, my brothers, to do the same.

Linda

2. Salty1

Salty1 New Member

State:
    Mt. Washington, Ky.
    Amen !!!!!!!!!!!!

3. seahaggy

seahaggy New Member

State:
    kentucky
    It's so true and it hurts the heart to see so much litter.I was so shocked when i first started comming down here a few years ago.Years and years of abuse on this beautiful river it's a wonder there are still fish in her.No wonder they tell us not to eat the fish very often.When the river is down i wish we could get some sort of trash boats one on each side and use vollenteres and maybe some of the people out of the jail system to start cleanning her up again.Just a thought.:0a4:

4. river1214rat

river1214rat New Member

State:
    West Point, KY
    I agree with you, we have our annual River Sweep, unfortunately, I am usually the only WestPoint resident there. Different Boy Scout troops from Muldraugh have helped and solders have been down from Ft. Knox. She is such a beautiful natural resource for KY, IN, and Ohio and is abused like an old shoe!

5. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    same problem up here too.

good post: tim

6. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    I usually do what I can. I live about 5 minutes from the mighty 'O' and try to fish it quite often. Usually when I go down there I try to take a garbage bag and leave with a lot more stuff than I took. One of my bank spots doesn't look as bad as it used to now. It also makes me sick to see all that trash/junk lying down there. If everybody would just take 1 bag out with them when they fish we could make a difference!:wink::big_smile:

7. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    Good post John. Your correct, if all of us took one bag of trash off the river every time out, it would indeed make a difference. I'll start adding a bag to my boat when I head out.

8. brad kilpatrick

brad kilpatrick New Member

State:
    Kansas City
    at the very least make sure We don't contribute to the problem. We have the same problem Here in KC, its just sickining to see all the trash floating down the river after a good rain.

I added one of these to My boat. its a great product and keep trash in its place and doesn't let it fly out while zipping around.

http://www.trashtrapper.com/