A call to serve at MTL

Discussion in 'LOCAL MISSOURI TALK' started by Michael Jake, Mar 17, 2007.

1. Michael Jake

Michael Jake New Member

State:
    Troy, Missouri
    Federal government rallied volunteers. Our mission if we were willing to do so, was to go out and bomb the floor of Mark Twain Lake with strategically placed … trees. We did many missions today and eliminated a hill of trees established for this purpose…. It was awesome to see how many folks turned up with it cold and snowing to help achieve a better fishery for MTL. Four boats total in our group, myself and another volunteer, Corp of Engineers and MDC each had a boat, in the MDC boat was Ross Dames, Fisheries Management Biologist for the Northeast region. We had a crew of folks and 4 h’ers working to get it done. Yes it will take several hours to clean out the boat, but for me having the opportunity to put in some dues for a better fishery is well worth it. I want to encourage other BOC members to continue and look for ways to be stewards of the resources we so dearly enjoy, after all we're one's out there enjoying it's fruits.

2. STICKBENDER

STICKBENDER New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Thanks for your help, I was wanting to go but boat trailer was down getting bearings packed and new tires. You probably met a good friend of mine as I think he was in charge. Brad Stamp with Corp. I think this is going to be a annual event.

3. theonecatfishbob

theonecatfishbob New Member

State:
    Wright City, Missouri
    You efforts are appreciated Sir. I dont crappie fish but it is good to know there are people giving of themselves to improve our already good fisheries. I am sure the trees will help a lot of catfish frye survive also.

4. Crawdad

Crawdad New Member

State:
    Mid-Missouri
    Nice work Mike! It's usually fun also, working in a group.
    Were those xmas trees & cedars? or some other kind? How did they hold them on the bottom? How many brush piles built?

5. Michael Jake

Michael Jake New Member

State:
    Troy, Missouri
    Bob, I did meet you buddy Brad, he is the one who rallied the volunteers and drove the Corp boat. He asked for names and numbers for future events so I would assume it will happen annually.

Bill, they were all xmas trees, a big hill of em. The crew on the ramp drilled a hole thru the base of each tree then ran a coated wire thru two trees and a block. Some did not sink :confused2: and had the tips sticking up out of the water. I would assume they will sink once some water has soaked in. Four boats made 6 to 8 runs holding each run around 6 to 8 blocks (12 to 16 trees) each run. We ramped from spalding and there was one going out of the north fork area.

6. micus

micus New Member

State:
    Lake St. L
    Thanks for the effort, in a way it kinda seems strange Mark Twain needing more trees considering what it was like when they filled it.:big_smile_2:

7. Michael Jake

Michael Jake New Member

State:
    Troy, Missouri
    Sure does Mike, I remember it well and fished it in 85... Heard from two sources that this last winter they lost a lot of trees. Wish I took some pictures back then to compare with now. Well, one good thing is the downed timber will provide excellent catfish spots. Water is still up and dropping slowly. Water temp. yesterday was 38... Outside 30 and snowing… felt like I was on the river after dark with bugs hitting my face… I'm ready for the bugs, bring em on.

8. Terry Day

Terry Day New Member

State:
    Parkville, Missouri
    A job well done - Michael!

9. olddriller

olddriller New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Thanks for your post, and your efferts to help out , people like you help give the BOC a good name.
    Paul

10. cards n catfish

cards n catfish New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Mike,
    How do you get on the "list" to be called to help with something like this? Or is there a website that has event dates?

Thanks again,
    Steve

11. whiskerlover

whiskerlover New Member

State:
    St. joseph Missouri
    We could use more great people like you. great job and thank you.