A Branched Oaks Flatty

Discussion in 'NEBRASKA LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by holdemplyer, Aug 3, 2008.

1. holdemplyer

holdemplyer New Member

State:
    nebraska
    Went out to BO to fish with a buddy of mine before he leaves the state, and the country, for a new job. We fished together quite a bit last year while i was trying to get my first big flathead, had a few 9-10 lb fish and smaller, but never did get a "big mamma" as he calls them.

Day started slow, had a hard time catching bait even. After over an hour, and trying almost every thing in my tackle box, all i had to show was two small white perch in the bait bucket. Did also catch a crappie, two bass and walleye though. Finally was able to find a spot where i was able to get into some medium gills, a few more white perch and a bullhead.

Dusk finds me at one of the jetties and a blood red sunset. Friend and I set up 1 cat rod each and keep trying for more bait. Finally get 4 or so 7" gills in the bucket and settle in for the wait. Shad activity along the shallows finally picks up right before full dark, and my buddy pulls in a small 24" flatty. Full dark finds me seaching to no avail for my bobber glow sticks and failing.

I go to check my lines after a brief conversation with some kids who walked around wanting to know what to fish for. Rod 1, very slack and my head lamp finds my bobber pretty close to the rocks. Rod 2.... hey, that line is pretty tight, and leading away from where i had cast, and "into" the wind. I pullthe line a bit, taunt, but about what you'd expect from a big bobber and a 7" gill, let go, it tightens, I do this 2 more times before I tug on the line and it tugs back.... HARD!!!! Flatty goes on a run as soon as I pick up the rod and "FISH ON" I say to my friend. He runs up, looks at my rod and says "that may be a big mamma, fighting much?". Mesured out at just over 35". Next time I want a 40" fish!!!
    cropped pic.jpg

Best fish i've ever caught to date. Not only is it the biggest fish I've ever caught, but I've put in a lot of time trying to learn this lake, and these fish. until last year, I'd only fished for eater channel cats, Bluegills and Crappie.

I would have stayed longer into the evening, but I had promised my girls we'd go fishing in the morning, and i still had an hour drive ahead of me.

Fishing the next day with the family found us hauling some nice gills and the ocassional 12-14" bass. Loads of fun!!!

2. flathead_hunter

flathead_hunter Well-Known Member

State:
    nebraska city

3. OhioRiverCatfisher

OhioRiverCatfisher New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    Sounds like your starting to know the lake...Great fish Alex...Congrats 2 Ya

4. cfishman

cfishman New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    Congrats Alex!! I have yet to find the time to seriously fish BO. Maybe next summer.......

5. Big Vic

Big Vic New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    Nice fish Alex thanks for shareing the pic. :smile2::cool2:

6. rumking

rumking New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    That is a nice fish and nice job on the story. I really felt like I was there.This week end is going to be my turn I do believe. Been asking alot of questions, just hoping no one was lying to me, and studying some elevation maps of the lake so I got a better idea of what is going on done below. Put away 20 bones for some gold fish and a small bottle of rum for the celebration. Ok fine, the bottle is really not that small but the Gunther in the lake owes me a pole. any other tips that could be spared would greatly be appreciate cause the white perch didnt even get me a bite last week end. If you are out at B.O. this week end and you hear a crazt man screaming the call of the wild come join me in the celebration.

Thanks and best of fishing to all of yas
    Matt

7. Wil

Wil New Member

State:
    Minden Nebraska
    too bad we didnt hook onto any of that size last weekend eh vic.. well i guess mark did but we never saw it.. dam

8. bownero

bownero New Member

State:
    Hastings, Ne.
    Yeah Wil! Dam Dam Dam!! Just my luck. That's the second big fish I've lost this year trying to get the darn rod out of the pole holder.:angry: I need to get a holder that allows me to grab the rod straight up and out of the pole holder. Learn from my mistakes!!:wink:

9. Big Vic

Big Vic New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    I'll work on a bigger holder for ya next time Mark I think the light rod you were using just made it look like the fish was bigger !!!!! :smile2::smile2::smile2::wink:

10. bownero

bownero New Member

State:
    Hastings, Ne.
    Yeah! That Cat Maxx rod has a very flexible tip. The fish definently had some weight to it. It was stripping line and I had the drag set pretty tight. Could feel the weight of the fish on the other end. Wish I could have seen it.:confused2::smile2: lol!! Oh Well!!:sad2::wink:

11. Flatheadhunter33

Flatheadhunter33 New Member

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
  12. rumking

rumking New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    Went out on Friday night night......... got nothing
    Went out Saturday night and changed up the gear a bit and tried Gold fish, white perch, Shad and even Cut bait...........Got nothing
    My 6 yr old son and his friend wanted to go on Sunday evening and I really tried to get out of it cause I was pissed for getting skunked two nights in a row and I new having to work the next day I needed my rest. But I went any ways We got there around 7:30pm and they were doing a good job of catch'n the bait. about 9:00pm I noticed the shad were jumpin around 1/2 the distnce from where I was at and new it was around 8 ft deep shallowed her up to 7 ft or so and put my 3" blue gill in the shad traffic and instantly nailed a 15lbs. Flat. The boys were jumping up and down and screaming. Im sure if you were out there you could hear them from where ever you were. After a 7-10 minute fight full of giggles I got a half way descent pic of the flatty and released her. Put my line back in the same spot with the same Blue Gill, I turned around from getting a smoke and looked at my line and it was on again but this time with a 17lbs. + Flatty. This time it was me you were hearing from the other side of the lake. Had my hands on him and heading for higher ground for the celebrity shoot and then realized I didnt wear him down enough and he fliped, then floped and then spun and I dropped him. As I watched him do 1 bounce into the lake I could feel my heart stop from being stuck in my throat. Luckily I could laugh about it. No pics of that but my son says it was a whale. I will post the fifteen once I figure out how to work this new camera I got one on the phone but it looks like one of those UFO sittings photographs.

13. flathead_hunter

flathead_hunter Well-Known Member

State:
    nebraska city
    yeah, them cat maxx rods are very flexible.... just ask camochris what they look like when you got an 86 pound fish on one:crazy:

14. Big Vic

Big Vic New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    Sounds like a good fishin trip Matt even if you were forced to go :smile2::smile2::smile2:

15. hoghunter40

hoghunter40 Member

State:
    lincoln,nebrask
    great fisk alex good pics:cool2: