a blue strike

Discussion in 'Blue Catfishing' started by slikk03, Aug 4, 2008.

1. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    i was wondering how to avoid channel cat while targeting blues in a lake, big cut bait

2. Boomer

Boomer New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I would use large cut bait, or whole shad, skipjack or perch. I like to use shad heads for blues, I have caught channels off of them, but they are are usually in the 5-10 lb range when I do, and they are usually what we call supper. Last time me and my brother went, we caught an 18 lb channel on a shad head, which we released. The smaller channels dont bother the heads to much.

3. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    I understand the desire to catch large blues, but I would not complain about catching fish!! There really is no way to control whether a channel or blue takes your line. They have very similar patterns and are targeted using the same baits/techniques

4. bnewsom71

bnewsom71 New Member

State:
    Mathervill
    Just remember.... Big Bait=Big Fish, NEVER any guarantees though!

5. 1mickymoo

1mickymoo New Member

State:
    Edgerton, Kansas
    I use skipjack for blues and it's about 80% sure it'll be a blue. Some people use tooo big od bait (IMO), I caught my biggest on a 1 inch cube of skipjack. Good luck.

6. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    I agree with larger baits. I use skipjack heads with good success.

7. KentuckyCatfish

KentuckyCatfish New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    big bait-big fish! Channels seem to go after liver and gutts and things in the stinkbait catagory. Where as the blues seem to go after the larger live bait or large cut bait. Bluegill heads work really well, not many channels are big enough to eat them. But then you will have turtles tag your line now and then. Either way, as long as youre catching fish, you gotta be having a good time!

8. willybob

willybob New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    Well I know I've caught plenty of 5 pound channel cats on a trotline that went after 2 and 3 pound channels that aligator snapping turtles had previously eaten.

9. fishnvince

fishnvince New Member

State:
    na
    I agree bigger baits tend to cut down on the number of chanels, they have a smaller mouth and tend to go for smaller pieces of bait.

10. hunted

hunted New Member

State:
    washington court house,oh
    yeah,i would go with bigger baits myself.should cut down on the channels somewhat

11. patrickgd

patrickgd New Member

State:
    Memphis TN
    I've used big baits and they just pick and peck it clean. Many times I reel in a large Skiphead and all thats left is the outer shell. I'm asking myself a different question.

"How do I find the spots where the big'uns are and the lil'uns are not?"

12. scwhite

scwhite New Member

State:
    Shreveport , La.
    Use a depth finder fish finder, you can see the big'uns and tell which ones are big and which ones are small . Just by looking for deep holes where the big'uns hang out . Look for fish right on the bottom don't pay any atchon to everthing else .

13. patrickgd

patrickgd New Member

State:
    Memphis TN
    That'd be nice but I'm a bank fisherman.

14. Steve Douglas

Steve Douglas Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Kentucky

exactly !!!!!!!!!! big baits dont keep channels from hittin it! Chanel cats will pick up a big bait and do a death roll on it! tearing it off in lil pieces at a time. driving you crazy! if your in a channel bite , but your lookin for blues, its time to move and or change tactics! even from the bank.
    channels tend spend more time on the bottom scavenging than the blues, try suspending some baits up off the bottom. if your on the bank , use a float, and sling it to the open water and let it drift around out there! if your in a boat, drop your lines over the side and use your boat to drift around keeping your bait 3-10 ft off the bottom! active feeding fish are cruisin around lookin to feed, bait size doesnt seem to be important, ive caught 80 lbers on quarter size pcs. of skip jack! if you put it in there face, an active fish will hit it!