A bit of information ....

Discussion in 'LOCAL OHIO TALK' started by RetiredToFish, Feb 13, 2008.

1. RetiredToFish

RetiredToFish New Member

State:
    Newark, Ohio
    I have been told by several people that Blue Cats had been stocked in Dillon Res. and have been told by others they hadn't. So to settle the discussion I just called the Fish Management people in that district for the answer.

No, they have not stocked them, but the state is considering the stocking of blues in several Ohio lakes and Dillon is one that might be considered. Also there is no time frame within which they are considering it. He also told me that they had stocked hybrid stripers there two years ago, but haven't had many reports of anyone taking any. He also said they would be having people on the Dillon 4 or 5 times a month this summer to take creel census. .... Garry-

2. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    Gary I caught numerous wipers below the spillway last year. The largest were a couple 2 lbers. Year before last I caught some 4 to 6 inchers. I can't say if they came up from the Muskingum or thru the dam though. But they are in the spillway now.

3. RetiredToFish

RetiredToFish New Member

State:
    Newark, Ohio
    That is good to know .... As far as the blues being stocked ... he said one of the things they look at is the population of Shad and that Dillon has a good population of them ... so can only hope .......:smile2:

4. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    Tell them we have too many shad in Dillon lol.

5. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    I think the reason you have been told that there are Blues in there because there is a male channel cat population that is VERY blue in color plus a wider mouth than the other traditional channel cat. I believe it is a species within a species but.... I am not a marine biologist.

Blues in Dillon, wouldn't that be a trip?!?!?

6. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    There are no Blues in Dillon! If there were Tspergin would have told us. Those dark blue or slate grey male channels are not Blue Cats lol.

Now if the DNR wants to stock a few in Dillon, I'd be all for it.
    Garry, Is there a guy we can contact via E-Mail in the DNR, that will be able to make a decision one way or the other, if enough folks would like them stocked in there?

7. RetiredToFish

RetiredToFish New Member

State:
    Newark, Ohio
    If you want to contact the right people by email this is how I would go about it .....
    Email Address: wildinfo@dnr.state.oh.us

Subject Line: District #4, Fish Management, Dillon Reservoir

Then tell them your wishes about Blue Cats being stocked there.

If you want to call them on the phone: 740) 589-9930, ask for the Fish Management Section.

If enough people show an interest, it might help. I also have another contact that might help if I can ever get intouch with him. ........ :roll_eyes:

8. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    Allright Kids, If you would like to see Blue cats stocked in Dillon lake send an e mail, and tell all your family to send one also.

9. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    well, the way i see it. if they are considering stocking dillon, then in years to come the blues are going to inhabit our muskingum river system as well! wouldn't that be a sight!! rollo

10. RetiredToFish

RetiredToFish New Member

State:
    Newark, Ohio
    Well, I am sure that if they are serious about stocking blues and if they get ENOUGH feedback from the fishermen ... they will even get more serious .... and Yes, that would also help populate the Muskingum which would be great. We need to make this a point of discussion at the get-together next weekend ... to encourage everyone to contact Div. of Wildlife....... :cool2:

11. Salmonid

Salmonid New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    I had heard from my guys over here in District 5 ( Xenia) that the Muskingum was the one river that seemed to have a consensus that every one seemed to think would be a good river to stock, since it is fairly free flowing, with only a few dams on it and lots of shad( food) available.

The dams and lack of shad pretty much rules the GMR getting any:angry::angry: But perhaps, a few might be able to swim up over the 7-8 dams and make it up here into the Dayton area, that would be awesome!!!

Salmonid

12. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    I'll go for Dillon to start with. In 5 or 10 years they should be up to 40 and 50 lbs. With all the forage in there. If a few leak out the spillway into the Muskingum, I say bring em on.
    Least that way when the Asian carp get here we have more predators to eat them.

13. smokey869

smokey869 New Member

State:
    frederickt
    they could be nice and dump a few thousand over here in knox lake too, we have shad by the billions and tons of bass they have stocked too lol , the bass fisherman would love that :wink: